The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE TERM IM OLD SCHOOL

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

THE TERM IM OLD SCHOOL Empty THE TERM IM OLD SCHOOL

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 am

when a fighter says about himself im old school whats he saying..in my mind hes paying himself the highest compliment possible..hes also recognizing that other era or eras was something special and beyound his era..old school is a combination of several things1.willing to fight anyone anytime no excuses and often if possible2.mastering as many tools of the trade or developing them to good use.what fighter could not use leverage in punching great feights good angles effective tech effective combinations ring generalship in there bag of tools.all of them.thats just a parial list of course yet many fighters today lack not only one of thoses things but all of them..
old school is a term i love to apply to some fighters of the resent past as well as to some fighters of today....buddy mcgirk was old school so was sweet pea..sergio martinez who had to beg several fighters to fight for a real middle title is starting to be one..the 2 K brothers sre at least semi old school..JMM is one..
fighters who will never be old school no matter there talent are1.floyd2.haye3.berto4.bo-hop yes bo hop5.roy jones jr..6.winky7.potvekin for some of them its too late...there are several others that could fall in either category..your thoughts.

Last edited by dmar5143 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

THE TERM IM OLD SCHOOL Empty Re: THE TERM IM OLD SCHOOL

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 am

opps many pac old school also.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I agree with you. Also Adamek is old school.

One of the qualities of an old school guy to me is they will fight anyone and they fight often. Also old schools guys are usually not the biggest shit talkers.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:39 pm

ill buy adamek as one and there promoters the duvas also..trash talk whats that.the old school guys mostly did there talking in the ring where it counts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:41 pm

dmar5143 wrote:ill buy adamek as one and there promoters the duvas also..trash talk whats that.the old school guys mostly did there talking in the ring where it counts.
The only old school guy who talked crap a lot was Ali.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:45 pm

dmar5143 wrote:ill buy adamek as one and there promoters the duvas also..trash talk whats that.the old school guys mostly did there talking in the ring where it counts.

I agree with the definiton of old-school on here, and guys put that label on themselves as a compliment.

Glen Johnson is old school for sure; guys like the Peterson brothers call themselves old-school but need to pay their dues first.

Also - how do you add a reply on here without quoting? I don't see a generic "add reply" button anywhere. Thanks.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

from the old days yes ali and lol maybe tony galento..tony was a loveable character..of course times change a little.camacho i feel was old school but with a touch of ali in him..mostly though they were not big mouths..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:48 pm

glen johnson yep also..just hit the reply button only under the post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Its at the top. Do you guys like this forums layout? I tried to find something that is easy to read.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Its at the top. Do you guys like this forums layout? I tried to find something that is easy to read.

Not seeing it man; I don't think all the graphics are showing up they way they should, at least on my system.

As for the look, it's hard to read that blue on blue text in the background. Also need a better banner image when you get a chance, IMO. Appreciate you doing this!
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 pm

sooner its also on the bottom after the last post..the foremat is fine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Tobe wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Its at the top. Do you guys like this forums layout? I tried to find something that is easy to read.

Not seeing it man; I don't think all the graphics are showing up they way they should, at least on my system.

As for the look, it's hard to read that blue on blue text in the background. Also need a better banner image when you get a chance, IMO. Appreciate you doing this!
Hmm I will try to find a more friendly layout. I dont know why its not showing up.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:58 pm

It looks to me like Wonjongkam is pretty old school. Stays extremely active (strange matchups though). Both Izzy and Raffy fit the bill I think. I also think before they are done we may think of the Cubans in this way. Does Tim Bradley deserve a nod?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:It looks to me like Wonjongkam is pretty old school. Stays extremely active (strange matchups though). Both Izzy and Raffy fit the bill I think. I also think before they are done we may think of the Cubans in this way. Does Tim Bradley deserve a nod?
I was wondering about Bradley. I think if he keeps busy we could easily call him an old school fighter.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:It looks to me like Wonjongkam is pretty old school. Stays extremely active (strange matchups though). Both Izzy and Raffy fit the bill I think. I also think before they are done we may think of the Cubans in this way. Does Tim Bradley deserve a nod?
I was wondering about Bradley. I think if he keeps busy we could easily call him an old school fighter.

The one thing he's lacking that Dmar identified is punching technique. But other fighters have learned over time. Maybe he will too.

BTW, go get Ring!

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:10 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

The one thing he's lacking that Dmar identified is punching technique. But other fighters have learned over time. Maybe he will too.

BTW, go get Ring!
Been trying. BTW it will not be long before I am banned over there. Golbez is already asking me shit.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

BTW, go get Ring!
Been trying. BTW it will not be long before I am banned over there. Golbez is already asking me shit.

Please tell Ali and Bird to come over as well and let them know we are sorry and we appreciate all they did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:37 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

BTW, go get Ring!

Please tell Ali and Bird to come over as well and let them know we are sorry and we appreciate all they did.
I sent them a pm.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

BTW, go get Ring!

I sent them a pm.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Bradley may prove to be an old school fighter. He fights hard, is in good shape, and is taking on good competition.

The thing about him that is bothering me is he is doing too much talking outside the ring (after being rather humble when he first came onto the scene). I believe alot of that is by design as he is trying to get more publicity.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 pm

captainanddew wrote:Bradley may prove to be an old school fighter. He fights hard, is in good shape, and is taking on good competition.

The thing about him that is bothering me is he is doing too much talking outside the ring (after being rather humble when he first came onto the scene). I believe alot of that is by design as he is trying to get more publicity.

yeah, Mr. Bradley is no dummy. I think he's trying to get in line for a big "I got drilled by Manny" payday.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 pm

lol i like that.i got drilled by manny payday..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:51 pm

dmar5143 wrote:lol i like that.i got drilled by manny payday..

Hey don't knock it. He gets a t-shirt too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:lol i like that.i got drilled by manny payday..

Hey don't knock it. He gets a t-shirt too!
LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:50 pm

When someone calls a fighter "old school" it's a great compliment. When a fighter says it of himself it makes me think he's naive.

BHop and Evander are old school. I'd put Margo and the Marquez's there too. Yhonny Perez is definitely old school.

I think Ward and Cotto are great blends of old school and new school.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next