The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate.

+2
gomez1012
dbudge
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate. Empty Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate.

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm

“He’ll definitely fight in the U.K in his next fight,” Schaefer told Ringtv.com. “I think that’s important for him. HBO is interested in televising a Khan fight from the U.K. We just need to come up with the right opponent.”

“I think that fight would fill up the M.E.N arena in Manchester,” he said of Khan-Murray. “That’s the kind of fight we’re looking for.”

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=25949&more=1

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate. Empty Re: Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate.

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Murray is a lightweight that hasn't stepped up from European level yet. Golden Boy are seriously taking the piss if this is what they are coming up with. i thought Khan wanted to fight in the States to move on to bigger and better things. Really looks like Golden Boy's stock has fallen if they're talking about taking a huge step backwards like this for Khan

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate. Empty Re: Golden Boy/HBO want Amir Khan's next fight in the UK, John Murray a candidate.

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:16 pm

John Murray has been calling out Khan for years, I'd love to see Khan shut his mouth. We can't have another domestic fight fall through the cracks like Witter vs Hatton.

Khan's facing Maidana this month, if he gets by he should be allowed a UK fight before facing the Bradley vs Alexander winner.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Prescott Rematch
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Ali wrote:John Murray has been calling out Khan for years, I'd love to see Khan shut his mouth. We can't have another domestic fight fall through the cracks like Witter vs Hatton.

Khan's facing Maidana this month, if he gets by he should be allowed a UK fight before facing the Bradley vs Alexander winner.

Murray was calling Khan out when he was a lightweight. to me it's on a smaller scale of Marquez calling Manny out at Welterweight. Khan is a big 140lb fighter, he's also meant to be fighting against the division's best to prove himself as one of the elite. He's fighting Maidana next with an Alexander/Bradley fight looking inevitable to crown the King of the division. Murray isn't even a big name fighter in the UK where the payday is going to be huge. Talking of the Maidana fight, Golden Boy need to worry more about how their asset competes in that one before they start talking about future bouts. it just all seems a total step in the wrong direction if it is Schaefer coming up with these suggestions. Khan should have stayed with Warren if he wanted to make big money fighting lower level fighters here still

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Prescott Rematch

Prescott or Murray would be better choices than Guzman.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Prescott Rematch

Prescott or Murray would be better choices than Guzman.

Oh wow that would be POS fight...

Prescott rematch, REVENGE! What a Face
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm

dbudge wrote:
Ali wrote:John Murray has been calling out Khan for years, I'd love to see Khan shut his mouth. We can't have another domestic fight fall through the cracks like Witter vs Hatton.

Murray was calling Khan out when he was a lightweight. to me it's on a smaller scale of Marquez calling Manny out at Welterweight. Khan is a big 140lb fighter, he's also meant to be fighting against the division's best to prove himself as one of the elite. He's fighting Maidana next with an Alexander/Bradley fight looking inevitable to crown the King of the division. Murray isn't even a big name fighter in the UK where the payday is going to be huge. Talking of the Maidana fight, Golden Boy need to worry more about how their asset competes in that one before they start talking about future bouts. it just all seems a total step in the wrong direction if it is Schaefer coming up with these suggestions. Khan should have stayed with Warren if he wanted to make big money fighting lower level fighters here still

You're overreacting, it's one fight to kick off the year. Bradley and Alexander will still be there for the summer time, boxing fans have no patience.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Ali wrote:
dbudge wrote:

You're overreacting, it's one fight to kick off the year. Bradley and Alexander will still be there for the summer time, boxing fans have no patience.

not really overreacting. i'm not fond of paying money for mismatches. Haye vs Harrison is enough for a lifetime as far as i'm concerned. I don't understand why Khan didn't stay with Warren if these are his intentions. maybe it just goes to show the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Khan fighting Murray would just be devestating for Murray's career and pointless for Khan's. it's not even a competitive match-up.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:29 pm

John Murray has something Audley doesn't, that's mental strength.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm

How bout Matthew hatton at a catchweight?

I would rather see him against a ranked 140 fighter than Murray. Not necessarily Bradley-Alexander but a legitimate opponent

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:33 pm

I like the match up. Murray is a safe opponent, maybe a lightweight but hes big enought name to help fill with Khan seats across seas. Theyre expecting Khan to fly by Maidana and Murray to set up a fight with Bradley or Alexander in the summer time.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:34 pm

I am fine with Prescott or Murray, at least Khan's keeping active and not sitting around waiting for fights.

He can face Bradley/ Alexander in the summer.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Ali wrote:John Murray has something Audley doesn't, that's mental strength.

he isn't big enough to compete with Khan now. it is a total mismatch. Murray hasn't even stepped up to strap level in the lightweight division. Khan's speed, jab, reach, height, power etc is all much superior to Murray's. MUCH superior. it's a total mismatch. what does it do for Amir Khan anyway?? it's the same as Berto facing Hernandez as far as i'm concerned. high reward - low risk

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

dbudge wrote:

he isn't big enough to compete with Khan now. it is a total mismatch. Murray hasn't even stepped up to strap level in the lightweight division. Khan's speed, jab, reach, height, power etc is all much superior to Murray's. MUCH superior. it's a total mismatch. what does it do for Amir Khan anyway?? it's the same as Berto facing Hernandez as far as i'm concerned. high reward - low risk

He's like two inches shorter and has only an inch shorter reach. It keeps Khan busy and gives his UK fans the chance to see him on domestic soil.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Ali wrote:
dbudge wrote:

He's like two inches shorter and has only an inch shorter reach. It keeps Khan busy and gives his UK fans the chance to see him on domestic soil.

it's not just about height and reach mate. Khan is, let's say, much more physically imposing. he is the bigger, stronger guy by a long shout. i'd love to see Khan on domestic soil but Warren would've been able to get him big fights here with much more credible opposition than John Murray. Murray hasn't yet proved he can do it on Khan's level in his own division yet. if that fight does get made, then how would you rate Murray's chances? what odds would you give him? all that fight does is ruin a potential British lightweight contender, it does absolutely nothing for Khan. it's a mismatch

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Ali wrote:I am fine with Prescott or Murray, at least Khan's keeping active and not sitting around waiting for fights.

3 fights in 2009 and 2 fights in 2010 isnt very good for a young gun like Khan, however him with Roach has helped him improve lot. Hes probably the Most improved fighter Ive seen since Pacquaio. I think that loss to Prescott helped his career, had he won that one, Khan would of just end up getting beat just as bad in the top level because the lower competition level in the UK (sorry to say) would of never helped him progress. Thank god for Roach.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ali wrote:I am fine with Prescott or Murray, at least Khan's keeping active and not sitting around waiting for fights.

3 fights in 2009 and 2 fights in 2010 isnt very good for a young gun like Khan, however him with Roach has helped him improve lot. Hes probably the Most improved fighter Ive seen since Pacquaio. I think that loss to Prescott helped his career, had he won that one, Khan would of just end up getting beat just as bad in the top level because the lower competition level in the UK (sorry to say) would of never helped him progress. Thank god for Roach.

+1 I agree with you, especially about the lower competition over here. Frank Warren would have padded Khan all the way to a title shot with an inadequate trainer. The sparring is the main problem here, in America it's vastly superior because you've got loads of different styles and different nationalities to choose from.

The Prescott loss was the best thing that ever happened to Khan.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Khan was with Warren when he went to Roach's gym. The best thing that happened for Amir Khan was getting a tomato can to beat up in his return fight on a big card, getting a fight with a huge name faded legend and then getting a World title shot all in the space of a year after being crushed so devestatingly. It would seem it is Golden Boy that are looking to pad his record by going back a step and fighting a guy in the lower weight division with no experience of competing at that level

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 pm

John Murray is the exact reason that U.S. fans have a problem with Euro boxers. He's already 30-0 and has fought absolutely nobody. I couldn't care less about some Manchester backyard squabble. Khan is on the big stage now, fighting for world championships. Any step in the direction of John Murray would be a backward step.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 am

dbudge wrote:Khan was with Warren when he went to Roach's gym. The best thing that happened for Amir Khan was getting a tomato can to beat up in his return fight on a big card, getting a fight with a huge name faded legend and then getting a World title shot all in the space of a year after being crushed so devestatingly. It would seem it is Golden Boy that are looking to pad his record by going back a step and fighting a guy in the lower weight division with no experience of competing at that level

I give this post two thumbs down from Larry Merchant.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 am

Schaefer told Ringtv.com. “HBO is interested in televising a Khan fight from the U.K.

HBO is so pathetic on how they bend over and spread it to GB. So HBO wants to telivise a fight in the UK where it'll be on in the afternoon or tape-delayed in theUS, but they bitch about the Klits fights being in Germany?

Greenberg: "The fights happen over there [in Europe], they're on tape delay. There is just very little interest in this country."
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:29 am

There's a difference between a Khan fight and a Klitschko fight, Khan's are more entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:32 am

Ali wrote:There's a difference between a Khan fight and a Klitschko fight, Khan's are more entertaining.

Says you. A Khan fight in UK will get terrible numbers on HBO in the US. They always do.

This is pure HBO in bed with GB move. HBO didn't give a fuck about Khan until he went to GB
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:There's a difference between a Khan fight and a Klitschko fight, Khan's are more entertaining.

Says you. A Khan fight in UK will get terrible numbers on HBO in the US. They always do.

This is pure HBO in bed with GB move. HBO didn't give a fuck about Khan until he went to GB

That's not true at all, HBO always have their eye on upcoming overseas fighters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next