The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Andy Lee?

+3
hardcorebee24
dbudge
gomez1012
7 posters

Go down

Martinez vs Andy Lee? Empty Martinez vs Andy Lee?

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm

The Fight: Sergio Martinez v. Andy Lee

This comes from Michael Marley, who says that Martinez's promoter Lou DiBella and Lee's trainer-manager Emanuel Steward are both on board with the idea. It would happen in March. It wouldn't be much of a fight for Martinez on paper, though it's easy to forget Lee once had real promise. That has gone down the drain, though. When a fighter loses to someone he should beat (Brian Vera) and then goes on a nearly three-year run of basically being hidden against really mediocre (at best) opposition, that raises a red flag that nobody's all that confident in him, no matter what his team says. Since losing to Vera, Lee is 9-0 (6 KO) against nothing better than a C-grade opponent. The best guy he's faced in that time is probably Affif Belghecham. Martinez's side would do this because HBO would almost surely pair it up with a decent co-feature and stick it on the network, and because Lee's side isn't likely to demand or expect much money relative to other possible opponents like Felix Sturm or somebody. Lee's side would only do this if the people advising him are bizarrely confident in his chances, or if they're not seeing the progress you'd want to see from a 26-year-old prospect whose bubble has been burst already, and figure it's better to lose to the champ for good money than get beaten by another Vera type of guy. If this doesn't happen, though, signs are still pointing to Lee rematching Vera on the February 4 edition of Friday Night Fights, should Lee win on December 11 and not suffer any injuries.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/11/30/1847071/fight-talk-miguel-cotto-julio-cesar-chavez-jr-sergio-martinez-andy

Not bad, I'm interested
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Andy Lee? Empty Re: Martinez vs Andy Lee?

Post  dbudge Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 pm

i'm not really. i'd rather see a Cotto fight than that

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm

How bout Cotto andy lee
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:06 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:How bout Cotto andy lee

that's the most equal match-up. Martinez is a bit isolated at 160lb, unless Kelly has a good comeback year and they have an end of year 2011 rematch

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:07 pm

dbudge wrote:

that's the most equal match-up. Martinez is a bit isolated at 160lb, unless Kelly has a good comeback year and they have an end of year 2011 rematch

Can he fight a few contenders and build a name
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:08 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

who Pavlik?

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 pm

dbudge wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

who Pavlik?

Pavlik is one foot out the game. Find a euro contender. That's your job this week.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Post jail kirkland or Angulo in Mexico City idk
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 pm

"Exsqueeze me?" For a minute there I thought you said Andy Lee is a possible opponent for the Middleweight Champion of the World. I live on the beach in Fla., so I don't have any mountains I can climb to the top of to scream "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDIN' ME? Thank you... Crying or Very sad
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

who Pavlik?

Pavlik is one foot out the game. Find a euro contender. That's your job this week.

matthew macklin

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 pm

dbudge wrote:
matthew macklin

Is he with GBP? thought he was
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 pm

dbudge wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

who Pavlik?

matthew macklin

Im very proud of you. Good choice. Wont happen.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Post jail kirkland or Angulo in Mexico City idk

Kirkland needs at least 2 fights before even having a step up fight. That step up isn't going to be to Martinez's level. It isn't as if Kirkland was a top guy before he went away. he was a prospect.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:55 am

gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:
matthew macklin

I believe he's with Ricky Hatton's company who have ties with Golden Boy. They did try to get him a Winky Wright fight but Marble's favorite fighter turned it down.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am

Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:
matthew macklin

I believe he's with Ricky Hatton's company who have ties with Golden Boy. They did try to get him a Winky Wright fight but Marble's favorite fighter turned it down.

Macklin has tried to makle fights with a lot of people Winky was interested, until he realsied it was a tougher fight than he thought. He isn't under Hatton's promotional stable anymore, Macklin turned his back on him for some reason and is now fighting under Warren's banner. He fights out of Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym, and is a tough and durable fighter with a relentless workrate. he would be a handful for anybody and i very highly doubt that Kelly Pavlik's team will want any part of him for the moment

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 am

I quit reading after this first line: This comes from Michael Marley....

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:11 pm

dbudge wrote:
Macklin has tried to makle fights with a lot of people Winky was interested, until he realsied it was a tougher fight than he thought. He isn't under Hatton's promotional stable anymore, Macklin turned his back on him for some reason and is now fighting under Warren's banner. He fights out of Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym, and is a tough and durable fighter with a relentless workrate. he would be a handful for anybody and i very highly doubt that Kelly Pavlik's team will want any part of him for the moment

Good move

Issnt Warren doing another Magnificent 7 type card soon? Cleverly suppose to headline I believe and be nice to see Macklin on it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Good move

Issnt Warren doing another Magnificent 7 type card soon? Cleverly suppose to headline I believe and be nice to see Macklin on it

It's going to be called GR8 Britain. can you guess what the 8 is significant of??? You got it 8 title fights. It's marking his 30th year as a promoter, it will show the Wlad vs Chisora fight (Undisputed HW title) , Khan vs Maidana (WBA Light Welterweight), Cleverly vs Lakatos (WBO inter-continental), Paul Smith vs James DeGale (British super-middleweight), Macklin vs Varon (European Middleweight), Kell Brook vs Kotey (WBO Intercontinental Welterweight) and a couple of Commonwealth title fights as well as Warren's young stable of potential stars. Not bad for a $22/23 PPV. Kell Brook's fight is pretty much a final eliminator for Pacquiao's WBO title which i'm sure will become vacant soon. Macklin is just taking the only fights he can get. Paul Smith vs James DeGale should be a good fight and carries a lot of significance on the scene with George Groves mandated to face the winner for a unification fight with his Commonwealth title and there is a lot of history between DeGale and Groves which should make for a British super-fight. On Dec 4th Warren has got Ricky Burns defended his 130lb title...

A lot gets said about Frank Warren, there's a lot of negativity but Warren invests in young talent, gets them on big show undercards. gets them title opportunities, sticks by them when they lose, got SKY to bring back Saturday night boxing which is good for the sport as a whole. All the big stars that have come out of Britain have near enough been Frank Warren investments. He gets a lot of stick in the same way Arum does but without these type of guys about, these fighters don't enjoy such big paydays

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Canvas wrote:I quit reading after this first line: This comes from Michael Marley....

lol! The Examiner.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:31 am

Lee wouldn't be a bad opponent for Martinez if they had it in New York. It'd pack in the Irish fans big time.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 am

Pirog and Govolkin are perfect contenders and maybe the best fighters in the division at 160(talent wise, yes they havent fought anyone really good of note, but its obvious theyre being avoided for a reason by other top guys). The problem is Martinez deserves more than to fight guys like this at this stage of his career. Martinez is in his mid 30's, as soon as he losses his amazing athletic ability (see Jones jr) he'll lose his ability to be on the top because of his fighting style that requires this physical gift. Martinez has 2 years left in the sport leaving him 5 or 6 bouts before hes out, so they need to be big fights. Cotto, Kirkland, Angulo, Chavez jr (cuz of daddy) and who ever between Golovkin or Pirog rises as the next star from Europe would be perfect for him at this point (I believe both guys would give Martinez more problems than any other fighter at this point). I just like how Martinez is inviting these guys at a 155 catch up weight. Hes giving no one excuse to duck a fight.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 am

If Martinez can't get Cotto, Lee would be a good fight for a good payday. HBO would go for that fight, and it'd bring in a good gate in New York with Irish crowd. Could possibly even sell out the Garden.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 am

GrantZilla wrote:If Martinez can't get Cotto, Lee would be a good fight for a good payday. HBO would go for that fight, and it'd bring in a good gate in New York with Irish crowd. Could possibly even sell out the Garden.

The Theater at the Garden. This wouldn't sellout out the arena. They wouldn't even open it.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:If Martinez can't get Cotto, Lee would be a good fight for a good payday. HBO would go for that fight, and it'd bring in a good gate in New York with Irish crowd. Could possibly even sell out the Garden.

The Theater at the Garden. This wouldn't sellout out the arena. They wouldn't even open it.

+1

Be similar to Williams rematch, 5k gate
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down