The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have an idea.

5 posters

Go down

I have an idea. Empty I have an idea.

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Let me know what you think. Can we do a fighter of the day thread? We could sticky it and put up a brief history of the fighter and a few youtube videos. It sure would help us learn about some of the old school guys. Dmar we would need your help on this one.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I have an idea. Empty Re: I have an idea.

Post  dmar5143 Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 pm

sooner its a decent idea.youtube is a good sourse but sometimes a incomplete one.ill pm you with a few comments ok.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Sounds good to me. I like it. Anyway to get info from old school fans like Dmar. Valuable resources for sure.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Sounds good to me. I like it. Anyway to get info from old school fans like Dmar. Valuable resources for sure.
Exactly!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 pm

SWEET Ok so I started the thread its in the sticky section.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:SWEET Ok so I started the thread its in the sticky section.
..thanks sooner.i hope the forum enjoys the talent the completeness and the art of willie pastrano.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:SWEET Ok so I started the thread its in the sticky section.
..thanks sooner.i hope the forum enjoys the talent the completeness and the art of willie pastrano.
I plan on checking out his fight tomorrow with Johnson. I am having to grade papers all damn night.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 am

i had this idea i while ago but barely lasted. i dont think that it should be everyday because its a bit much. i think that we would slowly get less comments per thread. once or twice a week would be better so that we could focus more on specific fighters rather than trying to cram every fighter in everyday.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 am

powerpuncher wrote:i had this idea i while ago but barely lasted. i dont think that it should be everyday because its a bit much. i think that we would slowly get less comments per thread. once or twice a week would be better so that we could focus more on specific fighters rather than trying to cram every fighter in everyday.
..i agree PP.yes you started the greats never talked about series which i felt was a terrific idea..you stoped it and i followed up with a few more.sooner came up with the idea after i sent him a PM on some thoughts on why so and so would win a certain fight or why some fighters litterly dont belong in some tourneys etc etc.
as i said several months ago i admired the fact that you have made a good effort in getting to know fighters of the past but i was suprized when you said you litterly knew nothing about luis rodriguez..i was somewhat suprized in a phone conversation with sooner that he did not know who emile griffith was.sooner has admitted several times that he would love to learn more about fighters that paved the way.in the light heavy tourney thred he didnt participate because he said his knowledge was lacking.
the sad part of the series you started is when you said you stoped because of poor participation.that indeed is a tradgety.baseball was my first love.6 years old is as far back as my memory takes me in good detail.boxing became my second and equal love at 8 years old.at 6 i knew the names of pep robinson charles louis for example that they were great boxing champs.thats all i knew.
i remember staying up late with my dad to hear the results of a big fight.marciano-layne..shortly after i saw my first live fight on tv.marciano -louis.what a fight to be your first.i remember my dad saying after the fight a great fighters career has ended and the begining of a new great has started..i was hooked.for a decade and a half i didnt miss a tv fight.every friday n wensday night and for a few years a sat night also.130 fights a year.immagine 100 of thoses fights that were like martinez-chavez cotto -floyd dawson -ward etc coming at you twice a week.
my dad was what we call today a fight freak.he saw greb fight several times tunney dempsey pep marciano robinson gavilyn and ambers bushy graham tons of guys fight live in the arena.he taught me how to watch a fight.what to look for..i read everything i could on the sport..then had talks many of them 1 on 1 for up to an hour with dempsey walker cannzanerri ross basilio marciano bushy graham hofame promoter dewy fragetta etc etc.for over a decade i seeked most of these guys out.some fell into my lap like marciano 3 times who came to visit friends in my home town.a national aau championship in 1964 i think was held in myhome town.there i saw frazier fight for the first time.i talked for days with a old old reporter whos first fight he covered at 15 years old as a camera guy .it was sam langford.
listning to the greats talk about there peers there era the era of today with brutal honesty indeed helped me understand so much.
if your a baseball fan and lol love stats that means little unless you understand how some stats are gotten.live ball no strike zone much smaller parks watered down pitching for over a decade and roids helped a great deal.expansion of teams etc etc.
how does a baseball fan not honestly learn history.how great was duke snider.why do many of his peers say he was much better then willie mays in the field.yeah you know of ruth williams even dimaggio..how about frankie frish gabby hartnet geoge sisler bill terry lefty grove etc etc..to understand greatness you have to truly know what it is.forget the stats so to speak..
hopefully we can bring out fighters that were good.dam good.some great that most of you know nothing about.and then to say guys there were 20 deep at that time in one division most with equal talent.and they all fought each other litterly monthly.they did things technicaly so well.a lost art in general.the lost art of a complete fighter in shear numbers.i hope that this rambling helps a bit lol..i hope there decent participation.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:09 pm

How about 1 around Tuesday each week and 1 around Saturday?

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm

captainanddew wrote:How about 1 around Tuesday each week and 1 around Saturday?

...sounds good captain.the first one is already up thanks to sooner in the sticky section just above the gor thing.the first fighter is willie pastrano.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Yeah Dmar I dont know near as much as I should about the fighters before I was born. But hopefully people start participating in this experiment. I know powerpuncher did try it. I think it was during the spring when you guys where doing that. If so I missed out mainly due to being busy (end of school year, track season etc..)
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down