The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing

5 posters

Go down

Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing Empty Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 am

This is what I think should happen. I know some of this is common fucking sense so dont say shit about that. LOL

1. They need one unified sanctioning body.
2. Multiple promoters that way they can keep the pay for the fighters high.
3. One set of unified rules in which the champ is only allowed to fight the number one ranked fighter. This would allow for better fights for the fans and would take the pressure off of fighters to be undefeated.
4. Have a standard contract with no rematch clauses. The contract should always state that the higher ranked fighter makes 60%. If you are the champ you should get an automatic 65%.
5. How you determine who gets to promote the fight is if there are two promoters it automatically goes to a bid.

What do you guys think? Where am I wrong? I know that I am somewhere.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing Empty Re: Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:15 am

I really like number 4 and 5. Too bad there are too many greedy people that will not be willing to sacrifice for the greater cause.

My idea for boxing was actually for the 2 tv companies to not allow their boxers to defend alphabet belts and for the tv companies to make their own instead. That way the tv companies would basically be the organizations and we'd have far less belts.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing Empty Re: Hey I have an idea on how to fix the structure of boxing

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:19 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:I really like number 4 and 5. Too bad there are too many greedy people that will not be willing to sacrifice for the greater cause.

My idea for boxing was actually for the 2 tv companies to not allow their boxers to defend alphabet belts and for the tv companies to make their own instead. That way the tv companies would basically be the organizations and we'd have far less belts.
Great idea. Damn I should have thought of that one.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:39 am

Lol. That way even more stars would be created because there would basically be only 2 champions for each division. Fans can argue which of the 2 is better which would create hype and build fights even more. Case in hand FMJ/Manny.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:40 am

Also, you'd see less corruption and no title holder would defend his title against the 12th ranked guy.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 am

i think that the champ should have a mandatory amount of times to defend in a year too. the hard thing about that though would be a lot of champs might say that they are injured and cant fight. but if we could get rid of that attitude, defend the belt 4 times a year. 2 times against the #1 challenger and 2 times against an opponent in the top 10 of your choosing. this would let the #1 contenders get shots and also let some somewhat less significant fighters that are good still get there chance at fame.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:28 am

Never happen because boxing a worldwide sport. So even if the US had one sanctioning body, doesn't mean East Europe, Latin America, ect would follow it.

Best can get is having major networks only recognizing one belt and one set of rankings. I say The RING until something better comes along.

3. One set of unified rules in which the champ is only allowed to fight the number one ranked fighter. This would allow for better fights for the fans and would take the pressure off of fighters to be undefeated.
Be nice, but even if there is unified rules in the US, doesn't mean other countries will follow suit. Why networks should demand to only pay for the best match-ups, which what Showtime does, and HBO fails to do.

4. Have a standard contract with no rematch clauses. The contract should always state that the higher ranked fighter makes 60%. If you are the champ you should get an automatic 65%.
IF your The Champ, you should get a rematch clause. Say a fighter like Rahamn get's lucky and wins, if it wasn't for rematch clause, Rahman would never have fought Lewis again. Lewis had to threaten to take Rahman to court to get that rematch.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:20 am

Soonermark890 (Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:19 am) wrote:
freakzilla316ftw wrote:I really like number 4 and 5. Too bad there are too many greedy people that will not be willing to sacrifice for the greater cause.

Great idea. Damn I should have thought of that one.
Great fucking idea. Just great. There's no catch to this. No cons. The networks have the money and power to do this and wouldn't have to worry about their safety. However, my question is why haven't they done it? I guess this proves my theory that HBO and Showtime execs just aren't very smart.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 am

Actually that is a terrible idea and it happened before. When Showtime and HBO competed with each other by locking fighters into long term contracts, and where they weren't allowed to fight each other. With rare exceptions, such as Showtime-HBO putting on Tyson-Lewis fight.

That time period of mid '90s early 2000s was one lowest points in boxing. Luckily both networks got rid of long term contracts after that, especialy Showtime.

What got with UFC, where they won't co-promote with other orginizations. People complaing about Top Rank and in-house fighting, it'd be 100 times worse if this happened.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:15 am

sooner nooo manditories at all.that means a penalty like stripping a champ of a title..look boxing will not take sensible steps on there own..the idea of 2 champs only is bullshit..1.eliminate the 17 divisions.one every 3 or 4 pounds is a joke..by the way i posted these ideas on espn long ago..go to the original 8 and add cruzier the 140 and 168 pound division and up the lightheavies to 178..2.same day weigh inns..eliminate super middles for example as maskarading as welters.3.one ranking commitee only consisting of the ring mag staff plus burt sugar max kellerman and al bertstein.this will assure fair honest legit rankings.4.one rulling body only and tv and all promoters world wide agree to this as a signature to the contract.5.noo manditories..a champ from 112 to 135 has to defend against a top 15 contender the rest of the divisons a top ten contender..why top 15 cause we combined several weight classes into one.example 105 108 and 112 is one division now.5.titles are won and lost in the ring only not by a commision striping a title...two exceptions..a fighter is convicted and goes to jail while champ.example if tyson was champ..then the top 4 fight i9t out in a elimination for the vacant title..under alis circumstance he was convicted but still out on bail.he stays champ untill jailed or acquitted in a retrail...6.a champ must defend his title at leasat once a ye4ar.if he doesnt hes declaired retired ande losses his boxing lisence for 18 months and the top 4 go in a tourney...in case of a injury where he was signed to fight within a year but injury stoped it then hes still champ.example vitali-rock rahdman...7. every fighter is fingerprinted before a fight to check his real idenity..this prevents a sam jones who claims his record is 15-10-1 but its realy fred jones 15.75 -1 and has been koed 30 times.it reduces gross mismatches and phoney building up of records.8. no options on fighters like don king used .if you want a title shot but win then im your promoter for your next 4 fights goes out the window..9. bring back non title fights for a champ li8ke pavik did against taylor..
i can go on and on but this prevents1.contenders not fighting each other and jockey themselves for a chance at one of the 5 phoney titles out there..if forces guys to fight each other..will it happen.NOOOOOO..

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:37 am

GrantZilla (Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:35 pm) wrote:Actually that is a terrible idea and it happened before. When Showtime and HBO competed with each other by locking fighters into long term contracts, and where they weren't allowed to fight each other. With rare exceptions, such as Showtime-HBO putting on Tyson-Lewis fight.

That time period of mid '90s early 2000s was one lowest points in boxing. Luckily both networks got rid of long term contracts after that, especialy Showtime.

What got with UFC, where they won't co-promote with other orginizations. People complaing about Top Rank and in-house fighting, it'd be 100 times worse if this happened.

No way, Grant. The belts would change everything. You're talking about these long term contracts that honor the alphabet organizations. If HBO would create it's own belt and Showtime follows suit, all the mags, fans and news shows would ask for one thing: A title unification bout. You're looking back on the business at hand without the excitement of these networks creating their own belts, which would be a groundbreaking moment in boxing history. It has the long term (and maybe even short term) potential of making the alphabet organizations irrelevant. It would also create a type of pride that the networks could believe in. Those guys are not only fighting for money, neighborhood, respect,.... their fighting for the network that gave them the opportunity to become champ. Psychologically, the belt changes everything. Yes, I back this idea up 100 percent.

With new ideas come new minds. In other words, Ross Greenburg would be thrown out on his ass. Don King is no longer of any importance. Neither is Jose Suliman. New announcers should also be on the agenda. No more 100 year tournaments where each guy gets to lose a million times. On HBO, the champ fights their number one contender.

Personally, I think the idea is worthy of an article. (smile)

New Producers, new announcers, to showcase a new vision of professional boxing. HBO and Showtime have power. Will they ever use it to the sports advantage? We'll see.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 am

Frank, you just explained it exactly like how I had it thought up in my head. Very Happy
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am

Most of you might not like the analogy but it would be like WWF vs WCW in the 90's. Stars were built and everyone would argue who's better Steve Austin or Goldberg, The Rock or DDP. It pushed the business into heights never seen before and the companies and wrestlers all profited from it. No reason why the same wouldn't happen in boxing.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am

freakzilla316ftw (Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm) wrote:Frank, you just explained it exactly like how I had it thought up in my head. Very Happy
Freak, that's one of the best ideas I've heard in years.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah it hurt my head it was so good Razz Lol. Too many fans put their heart and soul into Boxing and they deserve to be treated with respect not disdain. All you hear all the time is the tv companies want this fight or don't want this fight and I thought if they have so much power then they could make a big difference if they wanted to.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 am

Frank (Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:37 am) wrote:
Personally, I think the idea is worthy of an article.

You explained it great so I think you should do it.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59 am

no comment.wressling is fake and caters too pre teen kids and morons...to say let tv exceutives control boxing and have 2 world champs is as bad as letting the abc boys run the show....theres one champ only period.untill thats established first then any proposal should not be considered at all..ONE champ not a tv chump..when i was a kid wressling had its phoney tv champs..lou thez vern gagne caprienter argentine rocca etc etc..this proposal reminds me of that..lights cameras makeup please..sorry but yuck..

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:00 am

freakzilla316ftw (Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 pm) wrote:Yeah it hurt my head it was so good Razz Lol. Too many fans put their heart and soul into Boxing and they deserve to be treated with respect not disdain. All you hear all the time is the tv companies want this fight or don't want this fight and I thought if they have so much power then they could make a big difference if they wanted to.
Power is the magic word. They could make it happen and damn it, they should. They've done enough damage to the sport already. Now let's see if they can clean it up. Churchill said that "Man will do the right thing once he exhausts all other possibilities." I pray that HBO and Showtime have reached that point.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am

That saying is so true.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 am

dmar5143 (Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 am) wrote:no comment.wressling is fake and caters too pre teen kids and morons...to say let tv exceutives control boxing and have 2 world champs is as bad as letting the abc boys run the show....theres one champ only period.untill thats established first then any proposal should not be considered at all..ONE champ not a tv chump..when i was a kid wressling had its phoney tv champs..lou thez vern gagne caprienter argentine rocca etc etc..this proposal reminds me of that..lights cameras makeup please..sorry but yuck..

How could having 2 belts per division not be better than having 8?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

first your assuming to much..the abc commisions nor the promoters are not going away..you just created two more meaningless belts..in the heavyweights which K brother will say ok to this.none since they told hbo already to hit the road..haye needs neither one also..hbo needs time warner and comcast for ppvs ..a promoter could go direct to them for dam sure..soo the top 3 hws are out of your tv skeem..doo you think arum will let manny pac and his fighters goo on or with this joke..nope.arum has his own ppv already and surely could by pass hbo showtime and go direct to the big cable companies withput hbo..what fighters will leave there promoters now to be promoted only by hbo or showtime only..are the tv companies going to local areas to prmote non tv events..noo way.they lack expertise there..is golden boy going to allow kahn to slip away..lol doo you think this will attract floyd..what will end up is creating a fancy contender series without the top fighters and both showtime and hbo would be slitting there throats and opening the door for network tv to get involved or the cable companies to by pass them..hey lets have alvarez fight on a national tv network ppv..charge 8 dollars.it draws a 800 000 viewrship like hbo does now..thats 6.4 million or 3.2 going to trhe fighters which is more then they will get for a regular hbo or showtime fight....you just created 2 MORE meaningless belts and cut the throats of both hbo n showtimes money line into boxing..the backlash by promoters and fighters would be sooo huge that it would flop big time...you just created out of neccesity promoters to develope a new avenue to take THERE fighters too...is hbo and showtime willing to invest and develope promosing fighters under a exclusive contract..are they willing to bare more expense and risk..the propsal to fix boxing is a joke..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:50 am

yeah your proposal is just what boxing needs..a ton of law suit cases that will tie up everything for years...let tv folks run boxing entirely..hmmm great idea..tell the duvas the dibellas the local promoters your not needed..yeah we will sign every fighter in the world out there an impossible task..

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am

GrantZilla (Thu 16 Dec 2010, 12:28 am) wrote:

Never happen because boxing a worldwide sport. So even if the US had one sanctioning body, doesn't mean East Europe, Latin America, ect would follow it.

Best can get is having major networks only recognizing one belt and one set of rankings. I say The RING until something better comes along.

Be nice, but even if there is unified rules in the US, doesn't mean other countries will follow suit. Why networks should demand to only pay for the best match-ups, which what Showtime does, and HBO fails to do.

IF your The Champ, you should get a rematch clause. Say a fighter like Rahamn get's lucky and wins, if it wasn't for rematch clause, Rahman would never have fought Lewis again. Lewis had to threaten to take Rahman to court to get that rematch.
Not if you are required to fight the number 1 ranked fighter every time. The champ usually only drops 1-3 spots. They would get a rematch pretty quick.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:52 pm

The two network champs is a terrible idea.

Let's look at something similar right now. How many times does UFC co-promote with other orginizations like Strikeforce? ZERO!

No network is going top spend money and time building up a roster of fighters to have their ass kicked by fighters from a rival network. They will all be signed to exslusive contracts, same way UFC and Strikeforce fighters are.

UFC will never have UFC-STrikeforce or whatever showdown, because won't risk having their best fighters they spent building up getting their ass kicked by a rival company.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down