The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4)

5 posters

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4)

Post  freakzilla Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Marvin Hagler vs Harry Greb
2. Carlos Monzon vs Sugar Ray Robinson
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4)

Post  dmar5143 Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am

finaly a final with what i feel are truly the 4 best ever at middle..greb hagler.great matchup of course.i think it will be a hard fought fight with greb coming away with a UD.if hagler had a very difficult time in the first fight with vito antifermo in his attempts to keep vito of him or a rejuvinated but past his very best duran then marvin will more then have his hands filled with the 100-120 or more punches a round greb will toss at him.greb is extremly rough in a fight and the pace will throw haglers timing off.hagler although very addaquate in boxing skills but falls far short of a gene tunney in that department especialy in fluid intelligent movement..the last 3 rounds hagler will fade because of the pace.a great fight for sure.
monzon is magnificent.so is robinson.the fight comes down to versitality.robinson is superior in that department plus his ring experience of fighting litterly every style of fighter of a elite nature gives robby a good edge.a close but UD for robinson.again ill think 15 round fights since thats what thoses guys fought back in there day.hagler had 1 12 round title fight against leanard and it was changed from 15 to 12 to satisfy rays demands.a mistake i felt back then when hagler agreeded to that and today i still feel the same way.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Middleweight Tournament (Final 4)

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Good final.

Hagler KOs Greb late in the fight. Greb was at a distinct disadvantage against Hagler. Hagler was stronger, faster, a better technical fighter, had the better chin and was just as tough and just as mean as Greb. I think Greb would have his moments with his swarming style, but Marvin at his best was a MASTER counter-puncher with an extremely LLLLOOOOONNNNGGG reach and power. Marvins power jab was like a cross from most fighters and Greb would give him a lot of chances to land it. On the inside Hagler was more than strong enough to do with Greb or smother him and tie him up, whatever he chose. Once again, I go with the fighter who had more WAYS to win the fight. Hagler could do it jabbing and moving, slugging and trading, countering and leading, or stalking and following or any combination thereof.

Mozon beats Robinson on a UD. Dont freak out! Its a stylistic nightmare for Robinson. Both Hagler and Monzon are simply too big, too strong, too long, and too skilled for Robinson to beat. Robinson at 160 had to have an advantage over the guys he fought in order to win. Speed, skill, power, etc. Against these guys he would have none. Against Monzon he would be hard pressed to get past the jab and thunderous left cross. When he did, he would be unable to do any damage to Monzon. Only Robinsons great chin allows him to make it the distance.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 pm

dmar5143 wrote:finaly a final with what i feel are truly the 4 best ever at middle..greb hagler.great matchup of course.i think it will be a hard fought fight with greb coming away with a UD.if hagler had a very difficult time in the first fight with vito antifermo in his attempts to keep vito of him or a rejuvinated but past his very best duran then marvin will more then have his hands filled with the 100-120 or more punches a round greb will toss at him.greb is extremly rough in a fight and the pace will throw haglers timing off.hagler although very addaquate in boxing skills but falls far short of a gene tunney in that department especialy in fluid intelligent movement..the last 3 rounds hagler will fade because of the pace.a great fight for sure.
monzon is magnificent.so is robinson.the fight comes down to versitality.robinson is superior in that department plus his ring experience of fighting litterly every style of fighter of a elite nature gives robby a good edge.a close but UD for robinson.again ill think 15 round fights since thats what thoses guys fought back in there day.hagler had 1 12 round title fight against leanard and it was changed from 15 to 12 to satisfy rays demands.a mistake i felt back then when hagler agreeded to that and today i still feel the same way.

I slightly disagree here. The first Vito fight was Marvins first title fight and he fought an uncharacteristic "safe" fight. He, and most everyone who watched, thought he won the fight and controlled it the whole way. In the re-match he almost killed Vito. Nobody EVER abused Vito the way Hagler did in the second fight.

The Duran fight was more of the same. His first "super fight" and he fought cautious. The fight turned in the 12th round when Goody told him to quit "being so damn careful". Hagler did and Duran got dominated from that point on.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:13 am

hagler-i know that we are all going off of what we have read about greb but from what i know about him, i just dont see him beating hagler. i think that greb would have his moments and would win some rounds, but i think that hagler's chin is the difference. hagler is a good boxer and is strong. greb's hands, head, elbows, and whatever else he is throwing at hagler isnt going to make him fold. hagler will be persistent and eventually bloody greb to take over the fight and win a decision.

monzon-although robinson is the better fighter, monzon is the naturally bigger fighter and is a great boxer. when we look at the great middleweights that robinson beat, they were all sluggers/brawlers. people like lamotta, fullmer, and basilio. i think that he would have problems with monzon like he had problems with turpin. monzon would stand there to be hit. he would stand on the outside and let robinson have to come in and fight if he wanted. it would be a close decision but monzon wins.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:38 am

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 pm

1. Marvin Hagler 4-1 Harry Greb
2. Carlos Monzon 3-2 Sugar Ray Robinson
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down