The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ?

+4
Norm1023
GrantZilla
captainanddew
SlickMoney
8 posters

Go down

Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ? Empty Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ?

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Three high profile boxers testing positive for banned substances.
Floyd Mayweather Jr the P4P #1 boxer being in jail.
The atrocious decision for Pacquiao vs. Bradley.
Mayweather and Pacquaio refusing to face each other.
Top Rank and Golden Boy the two leading promotional companies rarely making fights together.
An awful Heavyweight division with a cautious boring champion.

Boxing is at an all time low at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ? Empty Re: Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ?

Post  SlickMoney Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Ali wrote:

If Wladimir is cautious then what do u call Haye throwing 13 punches a rd? That cautious boring champion draws the biggest crowd in all of boxing. The Klitschko's are a positive for boxing NOT a negative.

Other than that i agree with the rest. Its a rough patch for sure but Boxing will go on and be back. Even with all the negatives recently im still looking forward to seeing tonight's Showtime card.

SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ? Empty Re: Has boxing ever had a worse low point than right now ?

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Wladimir Klitschko has killed interest in the division outside Germany. Selling out stadiums full of Germans isn't a hard thing to do considering their odd choices in life.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Ali wrote:Wladimir Klitschko has killed interest in the division outside Germany. Selling out stadiums full of Germans isn't a hard thing to do considering their odd choices in life.

is david haye creating alot of interest anywhere other than the UK?

he certainly has never taken america by storm.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm

what you fail to see ali, is that americans are not running around clammoring for david haye fights. We like haye vs chisora because chisora isn't that hard to hit, is aggressive, and some crazy shit might happen.

other than that we haven't been excited about david haye fights. guys that throw 13 punches in 1 fight and then decide to run after round 5 in another fight don't exactly thrill american fight fans.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Bringing up David Haye every five minutes has gotten so boring, it doesn't excuse the fact that Wladimir has stunk out the division for years.

Wladimir Klitschko forced a Madison Square Garden crowd to boo him, but wait let me guess that's Haye's fault too Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Ali wrote:Bringing up David Haye every five minutes has gotten so boring, it doesn't excuse the fact that Wladimir has stunk out the division for years.

Wladimir Klitschko forced a Madison Square Garden crowd to boo him, but wait let me guess that's Haye's fault too Rolling Eyes

we bring up haye because you like to call klitschko boring but you fail to mention that your hero fights int he same division has been boring on more than a couple of occasions.

your blind hatred of the klitschkos is only matched by your pure love for all things Haye.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:34 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:Bringing up David Haye every five minutes has gotten so boring, it doesn't excuse the fact that Wladimir has stunk out the division for years.

we bring up haye because you like to call klitschko boring but you fail to mention that your hero fights int he same division has been boring on more than a couple of occasions.

your blind hatred of the klitschkos is only matched by your pure love for all things Haye.

He's not my hero I am fan of his.

Two dull fights doesn't eclipse years of turning western fans away from the division.

I depsise Wladimir with a passion because a man of his size and athleticism should not be fighting so cautious and fearful against opponents he towers over.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Boxing can't hurt itself anymore than it already has for years. It's now and has been for a while a nich sport in the US and so this shit is irrelevant to most people. Outside of Mayweather-Pac not being made and the awful Pac-Bradley decision.

Boxing will never be mainstream again. That's the sad reality. Not with multi trinket holders in the same divsion and big fights being thrown on PPVs or pay channels.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Tyson-McNeely almost made me give up. It certainly wasn't a high point.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 am

Lowpoint? Controversy?

LOL... Boxing is the one sport that in the world that has always thrived off of controversy. It's as much part of the sport as black eyes and broken jaws(sorry Victor). Look how many people have been outraged by the recent events in boxing. Yeah...it may turn some people off, but it's just an indication of how many people still watch.

And boxing in general is in a transition stage: We are really seeing 'out with the old, in with the new' right before our eyes.

But one thing I do agree with is, the Heavies are dead, and probably never will return. I think the boxing powers that be have realized this too, and have just begun to invest in the weights below HW. Which is a good thing. That era is over...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 am

Ali wrote:Three high profile boxers testing positive for banned substances.
Top Rank and Golden Boy the two leading promotional companies rarely making fights together.

I've come to the realization that this is the best excitement this era of boxing is capable of.

Think about it. Isn't talking about MW in jail more exciting than watching a Klit fight? Of course. What about the Pac-Bradley fight? Sure, it was the worst decision I've ever seen for a bunch of reasons, however it has a lot of people talking boxing again. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but it's caught the interest of sport fans in general. Pac and Mayweather refusing to face each other? Well, is it both or just one of these fighters that has made this fight a virtual impossibility? I won't get into the tired and dated debate. I'll just say that one man's fear is almost as interesting to me as the fight itself.

This may be kind of depressing to read, however I've been watching this sport for the better part of my life and what's always excited me about boxing is watching guys fight, not talk. Talk is ok if a fight follows. If it doesn't, well, you get to listen to a guy with a very limited vocabulary talk about how great he is or something like that. LOL

Let the controversy and bad decisions continue until people take notice and improve the sport. Change is uplifting. This sport really needs to get out of automatic pilot. It's in need of a major makeover.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Ali wrote:Three high profile boxers testing positive for banned substances.

I would somewhat disagree. It is at a nadir, but the sport has always had a bad side.

There is a slim chance that one or two of those fighters will be found to have done nothing intentional. But even if they are all resoundingly guilty, that cannot mar the excellence shown by everyone else.

The fact is, we have seen some great fights the last few years and nothing can change that.

As far as the decisions and judging being bad, that has been a part of boxing for so long it isn't funny. Sad, but true. And I didn't find Bradley-Pac half as odious as other fights recently and not so recently (Dirrell-Froch, Macklin-Sturm, Williams-Lara and Pac-JMM III come to mind as just as bad or worse).

And instead of looking at the lack of a Megafight, why not be thankful for what we have gotten to see? As someone who lived thru the "matchmaking genius" of Don King- where two palookas who couldn't sell out a flea circus were on PPV- I am OK with a fight or two falling thru the cracks these days.

Lastly, the fact that the Heavyweight division is atrocious is not the brothers' fault. While I don't either is a top 10 all time heavyweight, one thing they are is great role models. They wear the crown as well as any champs ever have and for this we should give some thanks. And there is always the hope that some of the young turks in the division will finally be able to challenge them a bit.
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Kool Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Ali wrote:Welcome to the forum Kool Smile

Thanks, Ali
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Yeah Kool, welcome to the forum. Nice post.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Frank wrote:Yeah Kool, welcome to the forum. Nice post.

Thanks, Frank.
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:32 pm

to anser alis original question the anser is yes absolutely..grant makes some good points also..look we cant justify the killing of boxing that occurs weekly by saying boxing has always had a dark side or there have been bad decions in the past..thats true.we also cant blame boxings decline on the klits or the worst hw division ever.history has shone the hw division has ranked consistant as the worst division in the sport.the differnce is great fighters have brought life to that division in the past.its not the case today..
look i dont care how many folks you think talked boxing after the bradley fight and to view that negative talk as a poossitive sign is plain nonsence...why has boxing been at a new all time low ebb..tons of reasons.1.bad descions that are becoming more frequent.2.come on guys before there were 9 world champs.yes the 140 was a long time legit division.today theres 75-80 or more so called world champs..some have as many as 8 in one division counting inter super regular diamond belt champs.fighters dont fight anymore.there inactive where 2 or 3 times a year is called good activity..striping of champs monthly creating phoney title shots with stiffs.ill legit rankings.5-6 commisions and none give a fuck about the sport just shake down excessive santioning fees.bullshit manditory contenders.
a phoney division every 3 pounds.lol multi world champ.ill bet there are at least 50 fighting today that can say that without wining a real lineal title...fights cancelled on a ongoing basis.the past 15 months or so its record breaking..i can go on and on why boxings at its extra new low..yes there are some great fights.i fucking hope so.there have always been great fights.so what.
if folks think negative talk like what occured after the bradley fight is good.think again.how many casual or non casual fans saw that fight because it was pac fighting.plenty.how many were disgusted saying buying a ppv im done.plenty..any sport needs a baseline of loyal fans to survive.like grant said boxing is no longer mainstream nor will it ever be again.you dont convert casual fans or non fans into a fan with constant negative stuff.
the real question is not about is this boxings lowest point ever.yep it is..the real question is can it get lower..yep indeed it can and probably will.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:55 pm

and as grant has said several times and im in complete agreement that ppvs have hurt the sport also.before it was only for a big big fight.now for the past few years or so its common place.fans and non hardcore fans alike get sucked in buying crap that belongs on normal tv.lol i realy laugh when folks try to justify paying for it if it has a stacked card.the card is so called stacked with name fighters fighting lower oposition mostly..i may be old school but im in the firm belief a main event alone sells itself.nothing else is needed.ali-frazier 1 hearns-leanard marciano-moore liston-patterson were some examples that the main event was all thats realy needed..so fans buy slop and get pissed off at boxing..promoters not making the fights everyone would like to see..
we can go on and on why boxing for years has had a steady decline.
instead of looking back in history to see what was right in boxing the powers to be have done the opposite of that.they took what was right in boxing and ignored it.how else can you explain several ruling bodies over 1.several champs per division including several in one commision only instead of one.add to that at least 6 weight classes that are a joke.what was accepted as real legit boxing rankings ring magazine and then boxing illustrated went to several phoney bullshit phoney rankings with manditories no less.how else can you explain a rhodam as number 1 contender ..yep the anser to alis question is a big yes and its been a big yes for a long while.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 am

Strawweight titlist Kazuto Ioka, who unified two of the major 105-pound belts with a victory against Japanese countryman Akira Yaegashi, relinquished his WBC version of the title on Sunday.

But with both organizations requiring the 23-year-old Ioka to make mandatory defenses, he elected to vacate the WBC version of the title.

http://tinyurl.com/7gsgn3y

Enough said
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down