The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing

4 posters

Go down

John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing Empty John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing

Post  Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Two senators are pushing legislation to establish oversight of professional boxing after Timothy Bradley's controversial split decision over Manny Pacquiao in a welterweight title bout.

Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada introduced legislation Monday that would create the U.S. Boxing Commission. McCain said it would bring integrity to the sport and avoid the conflicts of interest that have fans challenging the outcome of fights.

Earlier this month in Las Vegas, Pacquiao seemed to have the win in hand, but two judges decided otherwise, giving Bradley the split decision. It ended Pacquiao's seven-year unbeaten run.

McCain said that fight only fueled what he called "the legitimate distrust boxing fans have for the integrity of the sport."

The commission would oversee all boxing matches.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8069579/senators-pushing-legislation-battle-fraud-boxing

Back to top Go down

John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing Empty Re: John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing

Post  captainanddew Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm not a constituent of either. I will still email both tonight, and email my Congressman and Senators.

Not that it will do anything but I might as well do my part.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing Empty Re: John McCain and Harry Reid pushing bill to legislate boxing

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

captainanddew wrote:I'm not a constituent of either. I will still email both tonight, and email my Congressman and Senators.

Why dont we all do that. Cap could you post the link to email both of them on this thread?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:I'm not a constituent of either. I will still email both tonight, and email my Congressman and Senators.

Why dont we all do that. Cap could you post the link to email both of them on this thread?

http://www.reid.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

What are you going to write?

http://www.reid.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 am

I'd love to see a letter come from this site to one or both of those senators. I just think we need a solid objective. There's a lot wrong with the sport, but it's important that we organize a letter so that we have certain goals clearly outlined.

These senators have a million other projects and also have interns working for them to gather a lot of the info that some of us are already familiar with. Yes, we can help, but we must organize.

My opinion is that we should all use this thread to write down things that are bothering us about the sport, along with things that we like. Form a pro and con list. I think that's an effective way to start.

If anyone has any better ideas, I have no problem with following another suggestion in terms of the letters to the senators. I'd just like us to get started on something. We talk way too much shit on this site not to be a part of this crusade. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:26 am

frank your idea is fine.the bottom line is whats realy needed to get legitimacy in boxing as a sport that starts with one ruling body only and then several steps not only in rules but policy and the process of creating a effective one ruling body is a start.this bill of these 2 senators does nothing of the sort no will it.it still aloows for sanctiong bodies or 5 commisions.trying to establish a critera thats used by everyone for qualified judges is fine.medical exams etc etc for fighters to be lisenced is fine.this approach may lead to less outrageuous scoring which is ok but boxings problems dont end there.to do whats needed to erase decades of decline in authority.decades of total nonsence like 8 champs in one division that tv indirectly recognizes is a problem.the stripping of champs lol is a problem.phoney manditories is a problem.illegitimate ranking systems is a problem.5 world wide commisions is a problem.guys fighting with 0-53 records is a problem.too many phoney divisions is a problem..same day weigh inns is needed.i can go on and on on what needs to be fixed or eliminated for boxing to get respect like other sports.
co operation is needed worldwide with other reginal commisions.tv must fall in line.to create legislation that eliminates 5 mickey mouse commisions 70 mickey mouse world champs 6 phoney weigh classes alone will result in whats needed for sure but it also will result in 999 lawsuits to prevent that from happening.
the bottom line it will be business as usual.we can say this is the first step and others will follow.nonsence.this idea by reed and mccain is fine.its piecemeal and they know it.look both know whats truly needed in general to get boxing some strong legitimancy.they also know its not going to get done thew legislation because of major suites will arise.maybe even issues of constitutional authority to do this correctly surely will arise in the battefield of the courtroom..this should of been done 40 or more years ago.when the creation of commisions came about in numbers in there infancy..before the creation of several bullshit divisions and several phoney champs.
it could of been stoped then when usa was a leader in boxing ...when its imput had weight.non action resulted then and the patients disease went from correctable preventionable to terminal..
this is not negative.its reality..with problems like unemployment jobs a crisis in housing and several other issues that need possitive action instead of inaction we expect boxing to be corrected by congress.
look tv folks like max larry brian kenny writers like dan r nigel collins all promoters they know whats not only wrong with boxing but whats needed to correct it.part of that indeed is one world wide legit commision with final authority is a major start but does anyone think the wba wbc wbo ibf etc etc are going to just lay down and say yep go ahead guys.see you in court for the next 10 years is what thell say...the time already came and past when this was do-able..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Frank wrote:I'd love to see a letter come from this site to one or both of those senators. I just think we need a solid objective. There's a lot wrong with the sport, but it's important that we organize a letter so that we have certain goals clearly outlined.

These senators have a million other projects and also have interns working for them to gather a lot of the info that some of us are already familiar with. Yes, we can help, but we must organize.

My opinion is that we should all use this thread to write down things that are bothering us about the sport, along with things that we like. Form a pro and con list. I think that's an effective way to start.

If anyone has any better ideas, I have no problem with following another suggestion in terms of the letters to the senators. I'd just like us to get started on something. We talk way too much shit on this site not to be a part of this crusade. LOL

I can draft up something this weekend and post for everyone to critique.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am

captainanddew wrote:
Frank wrote:I'd love to see a letter come from this site to one or both of those senators. I just think we need a solid objective. There's a lot wrong with the sport, but it's important that we organize a letter so that we have certain goals clearly outlined.

I can draft up something this weekend and post for everyone to critique.
Thanks Captain.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down