The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 121 Fights

3 posters

Go down

UFC 121 Fights Empty UFC 121 Fights

Post  CervezaExtra Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:16 am

Not sure how many of the few we have on here watch UFC but I'm hoping for some participation on this topic. Just wondering your picks for the following fights.

UFC Heavyweight Championship
BROCK LESNAR vs. CAIN VELASQUEZ

Co-Main Event
JAKE SHIELDS vs. MARTIN KAMPMANN

Plus
DIEGO SANCHEZ vs. PAULO THIAGO

TITO ORTIZ vs. MATT HAMILL

BRENDAN SCHAUB vs. GABRIEL GONZAGA
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

UFC 121 Fights Empty Re: UFC 121 Fights

Post  CervezaExtra Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:21 am

Cain Velasquez (don't think he'll win, just rooting for him)

Jake Shields (don't care either way)

Diego Sanchez

Matt Hamill (don't like Ortiz after ultimate fighter)

Brendan Schaub
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 am

I'm an MMA newbie (and still much more of a boxing guy) but I see Lesnar being too big and too quick. Relatively easy win.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 am

im not a fan of mma or ufc but did watch some with my younger son before he moved to near chicago in january..since then i droped the cable tv stuff and have just the basic cable.i did enjoy a few good matches amoung some lighter guys but dont remember there names..of course fedor lestor silva and lindell are the names im familar with.thats about it..enjoy the manny pac fight which is 23 days away.ive seen several big fights live and theres nothing like a live atmosphere to get the blood flowing..its like being in yankee statium for a world series game...the only thing i missed was instant replay but at dallas statium you got that also..
your only 17..fantasdtic age to learn about the games history and to see a ATG like manny fight in person.

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:57 am

Heck yeah man! I saw Pac-Man fight Clottey and now I get to see him against Margarito. That stadium is HUGE! It was an amazing experience until some drunken idiots decided to try and ruin the main event for all of us around. I think Sooner was half a sec to throwing the guy down the stands at one point.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:40 pm

CervezaExtra wrote:Heck yeah man! I saw Pac-Man fight Clottey and now I get to see him against Margarito. That stadium is HUGE! It was an amazing experience until some drunken idiots decided to try and ruin the main event for all of us around. I think Sooner was half a sec to throwing the guy down the stands at one point.
Those guys were pissing me off.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 pm

My problem with MMA is I really don't know what I'm watching and so I can't anticipate what comes next.

I will say watching BJ Penn use his legs like arms to pin Pulver's (?) arms so Penn's arms were free to choke him was incredible. He moved like a spider.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:My problem with MMA is I really don't know what I'm watching and so I can't anticipate what comes next.

I will say watching BJ Penn use his legs like arms to pin Pulver's (?) arms so Penn's arms were free to choke him was incredible. He moved like a spider.
I like watching Lesner because he just takes people down and beats their faces in.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Is anyone watching this tonight?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:My problem with MMA is I really don't know what I'm watching and so I can't anticipate what comes next.

Yeah, I agree. Its like any other sport though. its always hard to watch a sport thats new to you and understand the mechanics of it right away. But after watching it for awhile it gets easy. Im a newbie to MMA and Boxing but I like them both and they both interest me. I think MMA is a little bit easier to grasp because boxing is so much faster. I think Boxing is a much better sport overall though.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:59 pm

i saw a writeup on this and 2 things suprized me..lester is 5-1 the other guy 8-0..thats not experience..both had a outstanding wressling careers in colledge..with all the hype on fox and espn internet sports this lester is only a 7-5 favorite..not a big favorite for a superman according to the sports sections on the net.

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:55 am

dmar5143 wrote:i saw a writeup on this and 2 things suprized me..lester is 5-1 the other guy 8-0..thats not experience..both had a outstanding wressling careers in colledge..with all the hype on fox and espn internet sports this lester is only a 7-5 favorite..not a big favorite for a superman according to the sports sections on the net.

Yeah but what makes him seem like superman is his size. He made Cain look like a kid when he stood next to him. Plus the fights he has been in he has trashed the opponent. He just looks like a badass and has performed like one so far so that is why people think of him like that.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:30 am

i caught the first fight on a link then the link shut down. 2 HW contenders that stood upright the whole night except for a few kicks.it went the whole distence..both upright did not know what they are doing..i saw clips of lester a excellent wressler but up right hes nothing.he got koed last nite in the first..hes had seven fights now 5-2 and was champ in his forth fight and it said hes there biggest ppv draw..theres something wrong with this entire picture...the mma has a lot of fans and its there sport..myself sorry its not my cup of tea..boxing will be around 40 years from now and has a 125 plus year history..more if you consider the jim figg type of guys..mma wont survive or be around 40 years from now.if it is it will take the route of kickboxing ..nooo coverage on tv and little interest..sorry but i dont care for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I've watched MMA. I still end up scratching my head.

I can't get into the wrestling and that kills it for me. It just doesn't do much for me if someone puts a hold and then chokes out someone. Because I don't like the wrestling there isn't much else. The stand-up usually leaves alot to be lacking. The guys may train for all aspects of MMA, but the stand up is very hard to watch in most matches. Alot of the kicks can be seen coming 2 seconds before they happen and the punches aren't impressive as well.

If there was a wave of guys who had very good stand-up skills then I'd be more interested as at least that portion of the fight would be very intriguing to me.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:42 pm

captainanddew wrote:I've watched MMA. I still end up scratching my head.

I can't get into the wrestling and that kills it for me. It just doesn't do much for me if someone puts a hold and then chokes out someone. Because I don't like the wrestling there isn't much else. The stand-up usually leaves alot to be lacking. The guys may train for all aspects of MMA, but the stand up is very hard to watch in most matches. Alot of the kicks can be seen coming 2 seconds before they happen and the punches aren't impressive as well.

If there was a wave of guys who had very good stand-up skills then I'd be more interested as at least that portion of the fight would be very intriguing to me.

I see what you mean. A lot of boxing fans have a hard time getting interested in the sport because of the slow paced stand-up. This card wasn't too bad though. I think I get into it more because I'm new to boxing as well as MMA.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:48 pm

CervezaExtra wrote:
captainanddew wrote:I've watched MMA. I still end up scratching my head.

I'm still scratching my head about MMA, but I'm still making a good faith effort to learn it (maybe I'm missing something).
I see what you mean. A lot of boxing fans have a hard time getting interested in the sport because of the slow paced stand-up. This card wasn't too bad though. I think I get into it more because I'm new to boxing as well as MMA.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Nice reply by the way. Haha!

Its a pretty interesting sport by my view. Although I do find myself getting bored with the fights more often than I do with boxing. But then again I don't have someone like Sooner who will tell me when there will be a good fight going on in the MMA world.

I heard that some of the smaller Leagues of MMA are a little more exciting. They are basically the same as UFC with a few minor changes or just not as big in popularity.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down