The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do any of you bet on fights ?

+5
Frank
captainanddew
GrantZilla
SlickMoney
flapanther2001
9 posters

Go down

Do any of you bet on fights ? Empty Do any of you bet on fights ?

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Anyone like to add excitement to fights by betting on them ?

Back to top Go down

Do any of you bet on fights ? Empty Re: Do any of you bet on fights ?

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Sure...been in the "action" biz for a while. Got a website up now.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Sure...been in the "action" biz for a while. Got a website up now.

Which bet are you most proud of ?

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I havent bet since David Lemieux fucked up my parlay by losing to Rubio.

Sooooooooooo......Fuck You Lemieux
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm

SlickMoney wrote:I havent bet since David Lemieux fucked up my parlay by losing to Rubio.

Sooooooooooo......Fuck You Lemieux

You gotta get back on the horse.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Sure...been in the "action" biz for a while. Got a website up now.

That's easy....Tyson/Douglas
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:51 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

No fucking way !!! how the hell did you call that one ?

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

It's a pretty funny story. A very good friend of mine is the National Sales Manager for Doral Hotels. Don King rented an entire floor at the Doral in Miami. My friend called me and asked if I want to meet Tyson. Of course I said yes!!! When I got there, Mike was a mess. He could barely keep his eyes open. Something didn't feel right, so I asked some friends if there were any books that would take action on Douglas. We found two, at 15-1, remember, Vegas took it off the board at 41-1. The rest is history Very Happy
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Last bet I made was Oscar-Pac. I thought Oscar would be too damn big for Pac. I figured he'd have every nutrionist on the planet to keep him from showing up as a corpse.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:46 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

It's a pretty funny story. A very good friend of mine is the National Sales Manager for Doral Hotels. Don King rented an entire floor at the Doral in Miami. My friend called me and asked if I want to meet Tyson. Of course I said yes!!! When I got there, Mike was a mess. He could barely keep his eyes open. Something didn't feel right, so I asked some friends if there were any books that would take action on Douglas. We found two, at 15-1, remember, Vegas took it off the board at 41-1. The rest is history Very Happy

Wow I hope you enjoyed that dough.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

Wow I hope you enjoyed that dough.
Actually, the bad part about breaking a bookie is collecting. It took forever....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 am

taking Mora over Forrest in the first fight
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 am

I rarely bet on any sporting events. They're just too unpredictable. I think putting any money on a fight like MW vs. Pac is crazy, but that's my take.

There are sure things in the sport however they're extremely rare. If you were hanging around Vegas in 1979 and heard there was a fight between Earnie Shavers and Ken Norton, then yes, put your money on Earnie. George Foreman fighting any shorter opponent that comes forward is a sure thing. I only like sure things. I haven't seen one of those in a very long time.

I think the greater the fighters are, the easier it is to put down bets. For example, I trusted in the power of Tommy Hearns to put down the great Roberto Duran. However, I don't think there's another WW in history who could've beaten Duran "like that." I can't think of a fight that I would put money on today.

If I did put money on fights, if that was my thing, I would look for a champion who based his fight on power punching and wait for him to take on a boxer I knew would trouble him. Betting against a scientific boxer is both dangerous and ill advised. (A word to the wise. No matter how you feel about Floyd Mayweather, NEVER bet against him vs. anyone. Never.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 am

frank smart move.its been years since i bet a fight and most certainly wont today because of the crazy judgeing.when i did bet i was highly accurate.the one im most proud of was the first ali-frazier fight.i bet one guy i knew well and fight night at the movie theater word got around to a bunch of yuppies who were ali fans said hey wanna bet.i was a regular working guy and these yuppies were mid level exects.i said sure name your price..made well over a months pay that night..another was the giardello -tiger fight with a bookie.i heared from a good soarce that giardello was actualy training for this fight.thats all i needed to know.
i agree its hard to bet against floyd.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 pm

captainanddew wrote:taking Mora over Forrest in the first fight

You got lucky with that one, motivated Forrest always beats Mora.

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:30 pm

shit,i can't imagine betting on fights.i'm too strung up anyway before a bout.if i wagered money i might have a coronary.it's funny but i follow many,many sports but none get me as emotional as boxing.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 am

I only bet when I am POSITIVE on the outcome. The ones I am most proud of?

I had Evander Holyfield over Mike Tyson by KO in 11. (in 92) I stuck with the original call and bet when the fight finally did take place. The odds on the original fight were 7-5. I got 21-1 in the actual fight.

I had Frankie Randall over Julio Chavez AND I picked the KD too. 11-1 odds.

I had Oliver McCall at 4-1 over Lennox Lewis

The only fighter I ever bet big money on as a favorite was Marvin Hagler, and I did it on all of his fights.

I had a good amount on Terry Norris over Ray Leonard.

I almost bit my toungue off when Azumah Nelson dropped Fenech in the re-match. It was the second worst bet i ever made.

The WORST bet I ever made (most money lost) was James Toney over Roy Jones.

The fight I actually was SAVING money to bet on because I KNEW I would make a mint was Darius Michalczewski vs Roy Jones Jr. Jones would have been a HUGE favorite and would have been KTFO inside 6 rounds. It would have been the "upset of the decade". I have been THIS sure of two fights in my life. The other was Holyfield over Tyson.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 am

Wlad vs Haye was easy money.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:50 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: I only bet when I am POSITIVE on the outcome. The ones I am most proud of?

I had Evander Holyfield over Mike Tyson by KO in 11. (in 92) I stuck with the original call and bet when the fight finally did take place. The odds on the original fight were 7-5. I got 21-1 in the actual fight.

I had Frankie Randall over Julio Chavez AND I picked the KD too. 11-1 odds.

I had Oliver McCall at 4-1 over Lennox Lewis

The only fighter I ever bet big money on as a favorite was Marvin Hagler, and I did it on all of his fights.

I had a good amount on Terry Norris over Ray Leonard.

I almost bit my toungue off when Azumah Nelson dropped Fenech in the re-match. It was the second worst bet i ever made.

The WORST bet I ever made (most money lost) was James Toney over Roy Jones.

The fight I actually was SAVING money to bet on because I KNEW I would make a mint was Darius Michalczewski vs Roy Jones Jr. Jones would have been a HUGE favorite and would have been KTFO inside 6 rounds. It would have been the "upset of the decade". I have been THIS sure of two fights in my life. The other was Holyfield over Tyson.

I bet that must have really stung for you Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 pm

[/quote]
You mean the Michalczewski that lost to Gonzales? LOL....Jones beats Darius by UD...just my opinion.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 am

flapanther2001 wrote:

You mean the Michalczewski that lost to Gonzales? LOL....Jones beats Darius by UD...just my opinion.[/quote]

Just anything to besmirch Roy Jones. He's salty over his lost bet with James Toney.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

You mean the Michalczewski that lost to Gonzales? LOL....Jones beats Darius by UD...just my opinion.

Just anything to besmirch Roy Jones. He's salty over his lost bet with James Toney. [/quote]

Naw, I think I was the only American that actually SAW this guy fight. Eddie Futch was POSITIVE that Roy was gonna get KOd. POSITIVE. So was Montell Griffin. Who knows, but I was never more confident of a fight in my life. I just "knew" these two guys that well.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 pm

the bet against jones would of been smart money for the price would of been right.like an overlay you got to take the shot if your a betting guy.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

Just anything to besmirch Roy Jones. He's salty over his lost bet with James Toney.

Naw, I think I was the only American that actually SAW this guy fight. Eddie Futch was POSITIVE that Roy was gonna get KOd. POSITIVE. So was Montell Griffin. Who knows, but I was never more confident of a fight in my life. I just "knew" these two guys that well.[/quote]

Wasn't Michalcewski's loss to Gonzalez after he was already like 34 or 35? Roy Jones was getting KTFO'd by that age.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm

captainanddew wrote:
boxinglawyer wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

Naw, I think I was the only American that actually SAW this guy fight. Eddie Futch was POSITIVE that Roy was gonna get KOd. POSITIVE. So was Montell Griffin. Who knows, but I was never more confident of a fight in my life. I just "knew" these two guys that well.

Wasn't Michalcewski's loss to Gonzalez after he was already like 34 or 35? Roy Jones was getting KTFO'd by that age. [/quote]

It was and it was after Darius set a title defense record too. Darius had a much higher contact style than RJJ too, though he was MORE than capable of boxing in a classic style (Ask Virgil Hill). If you followed DM's career like I did, it was obvious that he was slipping over the last 20 months of his career. He REALLY slowed down, but would not listen to his people who wanted him to retire before he got embarrassed. The loss to Tiozzo is what convinced Darius to call it. He ROUTINELY dominated Tiozzo in the past as a sparring partner. When he lost that fight, he knew he didnt have it anymore. His fight with RJJ never happening is one of the greatest fights that never happened. It would have been a spectacular moment.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down