The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner-Sykes?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broner-Sykes? Empty Broner-Sykes?

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Bout Being Discussed, But Far From Done

A source close to the negotiations has confirmed that British boxer Gary Sykes (20-2, 5KOs) is being considered as the opponent for WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner (23-0, 19KOs), who returns on May 19th at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Amir Khan challenges WBA/IBF junior welterweight champion Lamont Peterson in an HBO televised rematch in the main event.

While Sykes has accepted the fight, which the boxer disclosed is a non-title ten rounder, BoxingScene was told there are numerous issues to sort out before a fight with Broner can be finalized - including Sykes' ability to secure a work visa in a timely fashion. The fight is "far from done" I was told, and the probability of the bout being finalized, at the moment, is "50-50."

http://tinyurl.com/6lulm6g
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Broner-Sykes? Empty Re: Broner-Sykes?

Post  captainanddew Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Broner is still very young, but should be facing much better guys. He is being talked about as a future P4P fighter. He needs to be going after ranked guys at 130. How about fighting someone in the top 5?
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:22 pm

It's official

http://tinyurl.com/7yze3kr

I agree, this guy needs to start facing some legit ranked opponents.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Adrien "Handle With Care" Broner.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Adrien "Handle With Care" Broner.
this is such a joke.

He tears through Perez who was ranked by Ring (and all other reputable rankings) near the bottom of the top 10.

Now he is going to face a guy who really shouldn't be in the ring with him. Waste of freaking time.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 pm

captainanddew wrote:
this is such a joke.

He tears through Perez who was ranked by Ring (and all other reputable rankings) near the bottom of the top 10.

Now he is going to face a guy who really shouldn't be in the ring with him. Waste of freaking time.
...yep its a disappointment.if you take fights like this you better be fighting often.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:23 am

dmar5143 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
this is such a joke.

...yep its a disappointment.if you take fights like this you better be fighting often.

I agree 100%. If Broner fights eight times a year I don't think we'd have a problem with this fight. As it stands he fought four times last calendar year and he fought 5 times in 2010. He's now having his second fight of this year. He needs to make a big fight in the fall, challenge himself and score a big victory. His act is tired and corny.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 am

Broner should just move to Lightweight already.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Oh my god I can't believe it's taken me so long to work out to post on this site on an iPad! Browner vs Sykes is an absolute joke. Sykes is nowhere near Broners level. I drew with Sykes in the ams when I was a 14 year old boy in club competition. Seriously, he is going to get battered

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Broner should just move to Lightweight already.

why?
he hasn't even taken on a top 5 guy at 130!!!!

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:09 pm

captainanddew wrote:

why?

a

Come on cap'n. Didn't you see this gu fight fighting Perez. He looked like a welterweight come fight night. At 130 he has no competition. At 135 he has little competition. I'd rather see this bundle full of talent develop in one of the old Sokol proper divisions than him compete in a bullshit who super featherweight division. Browner is a future hall of famer..... That's not even a hard prediction to make

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:15 pm

dbudge wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

why?

a

Come on cap'n. Didn't you see this gu fight fighting Perez. He looked like a welterweight come fight night. At 130 he has no competition. At 135 he has little competition. I'd rather see this bundle full of talent develop in one of the old Sokol proper divisions than him compete in a bullshit who super featherweight division. Browner is a future hall of famer..... That's not even a hard prediction to make

anyone who can't legitimately beat Ponce De Leon isn't going to the hall of fame without a ticket.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 pm

captainanddew wrote:
dbudge wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

why?

a

anyone who can't legitimately beat Ponce De Leon isn't going to the hall of fame without a ticket.

Come on that's a narrow minded point of view. Look at that fight as a boxing match. Broner won the boxing match. Broner was a very inexperierienced pro in that fight and he came out with the win. Not every hall of famer looks like magic in every fight.

Broner is a special talent, even a man as hard to please as yourself cap'n will come to appreciate that one day

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:24 pm

That was a gift.

he didn't win.

And I bet on Broner. I figured Ponce was the smaller man, wouldn't be able to KO broner and he wouldn't get a decision against a Haymon fighter. I was right, but honestly I would have rather lost money.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:28 pm

captainanddew wrote:

That was a gift.

he didn't win.

And I bet on Broner. I figured Ponce was the smaller man, wouldn't be able to KO broner and he wouldn't get a decision against a Haymon fighter. I was right, but honestly I would have rather lost money.

We'll just have to agree to disagree lol? Broner is going to be the next big thing in this noble art without a doubt

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm

dbudge wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

That was a gift.

he didn't win.

We'll just have to agree to disagree lol? Broner is going to be the next big thing in this noble art without a doubt

I'm just playing around. I agree with your point of view on many things, this included.

I think he will be a P4P player. My point is still only that he hasn't faced an elite guy yet. Ponce-smaller guy. Perez- 9th ranked by ring and espn, but dude tested positive for cocaine or something after the fight.

1-Yes-he has good skills and speed. I just want to see him do it against better competition.
2-I don't ever start saying anyone is going to be a hall of famer early in a career. All it takes is one big KO loss and your career can change forever. For every fighter that is able to rebuild, there is just as many that never are the same.
3-He has to stop facing chumps on HBO. We don't have unlimited viewing opportunities in this sport. If you are going to use prime slots then face prime opponents.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 am

dbudge wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree lol? Broner is going to be the next big thing in this noble art without a doubt

Based on what? Broner has fought nobody. His only "legit" opponent was Ponce, and he lost that fight.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

GrantZilla wrote:
dbudge wrote:We'll just have to agree to disagree lol? Broner is going to be the next big thing in this noble art without a doubt

Based on what? Broner has fought nobody. His only "legit" opponent was Ponce, and he lost that fight.

Litzau was a beast before Broner beat him. Litzau was a force to be reckon with. Unstoppable. The guy was a killer.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:52 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Litzau was a beast before Broner beat him. Litzau was a force to be reckon with. Unstoppable. The guy was a killer.

For sure. Marve Hagler had nothing on Litzau
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 am

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

For sure. Marve Hagler had nothing on Litzau

Nothing. Litzau would murderalized 'em.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 am

captainanddew wrote:

why?

There's no competition at Super Featherweight who'll get approved by HBO.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Litzau was coming off a great performance against Caballero.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:35 am

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

a little context.

Caballero fought at 122 forever. He then took 1 fight at 126. And then fought Litzau at 130. He hadn't proven much above 122.

and what did Cab do immediately thereafter-move back down to 126.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 am

captainanddew wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

a little context.

Caballero fought at 122 forever. He then took 1 fight at 126. And then fought Litzau at 130. He hadn't proven much above 122.

and what did Cab do immediately thereafter-move back down to 126.

It's still a good performance regardless.

Litzau might not have been a spectacular fighter but Broner obliterated him.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Ali you said the same about Cloud when he had done nothing to prove himself. We all know how he's done when he finally stepped up.

I'm not saying Broner is a bum but he's done nothing to prove he's elite at this point let alone a future P4P
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next