The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves vs. Stieglitz is off

5 posters

Go down

Groves vs. Stieglitz is off Empty Groves vs. Stieglitz is off

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Super middleweight George Groves (14-0, 11KOs) has announced that he suffered an injury in training, which didn't heal in time, and he's been forced to withdraw from his upcoming fight with WBO super middleweight champion Robert Stieglitz (41-2, 23KOs), scheduled to take place on Sauerland Event's big show on May 5th in Germany. Groves previously suffered an injury which forced him to withdraw from a rematch with Kenny Anderson a few weeks ago. The Anderson rematch is still on the ledger for June 30th.

The fight with Stieglitz was made after the WBO named Groves as the mandatory challenger to the super middleweight title. Anderson is the mandatory challenger to Groves' British title.

"I am sorry to have to announce that I won't be boxing on May 5th. I have picked up an injury in the build up to this fight. We tried to work through it but soon realized I wouldn't be able to perform the training needed to prepare for this fight. After coming back to London immediately and seeking medical advice, I hope that this problem will be sorted soon and will only be a short delay," Groves wrote.

"I am truly sorry to everyone involved who will be affected by this. This is without a doubt the toughest decision I have ever had to make, I am gutted but nothing worth having is given away. It has only made me more determined to achieve my goal of becoming world champion. Thanks to everyone again for their continued support in my journey."

http://www.boxingscene.com/groves-injured-withdraws-from-stieglitz-title-fight--51848

Back to top Go down

Groves vs. Stieglitz is off Empty Re: Groves vs. Stieglitz is off

Post  powerpuncher Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 am

surprising. it seems like every fight has to be postponed at least once.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 am

Well this blows. It seemed like a interesting match-up.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

GrantZilla wrote:Well this blows. It seemed like a interesting match-up.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm

I feel pretty bad for Stieglitz. He has tried to fight Kessler and Groves recently and all it has gotten him is one tuneup fight in the last year+. He should fight Abraham or Ward. AA is his mandatory and that is a huge fight for Germany. Ward is looking for an opponent for summer/fall anyways.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:I feel pretty bad for Stieglitz. He has tried to fight Kessler and Groves recently and all it has gotten him is one tuneup fight in the last year+. He should fight Abraham or Ward. AA is his mandatory and that is a huge fight for Germany. Ward is looking for an opponent for summer/fall anyways.

how is Abraham a mandatory for anything? Abraham's a mandatory but I'm sure he is ranked by the sanctioning body ahead of guys who beat him in the super 6.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:35 am

So all that drama of making Groves the opponent for Stieglitz instead of Kessler for nothing. Kessler had already pulled out on him last year and now Gorves did The same.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down