The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMM-McCloskey?

5 posters

Go down

JMM-McCloskey? Empty JMM-McCloskey?

Post  GrantZilla Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 pm

According to promoter Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions, WBO interim-junior welterweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39KOs) has advised him that his preference is to fight a lefty on July 14th at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Among the possible names mention, include undefeated Mercito Gesta (25-0-1, 13KOs) and top-rated Paul McCloskey (23-1, 12KOs), who faces DeMarcus Corley on May 5th. Several other boxers are being considered, says Beltran, and indicates that Brandon Rios (30-0-1, 22KOs) is not one of them.

Marquez wants to work his way to full shot at the title at 140-pounds and wants to fight Manny Pacquiao in a fourth meeting in the fall.

"I won the WBO's interim championship and it was an important step in my goal of winning the absolute title at 140-pounds," Marquez said.

http://tinyurl.com/7c227ee
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

JMM-McCloskey? Empty Re: JMM-McCloskey?

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

McCloskey is a bad idea, too risky for a tune up. Not saying he'll beat Marquez but he'll make it a stinker.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:McCloskey is a bad idea, too risky for a tune up. Not saying he'll beat Marquez but he'll make it a stinker.

I didn't see Saturday's fights, but when I saw him before, Gesta wasn't ready for a fighter of Marquez's caliber. And Ali is right about McCloskey. He'll make an ugly fight, no matter the winner.

Why does Marquez need to face a southpaw? He and Nacho know how to fight Pac.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:McCloskey is a bad idea, too risky for a tune up. Not saying he'll beat Marquez but he'll make it a stinker.

I didn't see Saturday's fights, but when I saw him before, Gesta wasn't ready for a fighter of Marquez's caliber. And Ali is right about McCloskey. He'll make an ugly fight, no matter the winner.

Why does Marquez need to face a southpaw? He and Nacho know how to fight Pac.

+1 they know Pac like the back of their hands, and it's not like Freddie's going to make Pac drastically change his strategy or style at this stage in his career.

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Like some boxing writers mentioned it would be a good scrap between JMM vs Alvarado on July 14th if Team Marquez really is not interested in fighting Rios in his next fight!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm

There is no way JMM-McCloskey will be at Cowboy stadium.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 am

They should just go ahead with Marquez vs. Rios.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Rios or Guerrero would be cool but the fight I've always wanted to see is against Zab.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Gumby wrote:Rios or Guerrero would be cool but the fight I've always wanted to see is against Zab.
that is an interesting thought. I'd like to see that fight as well. Zab would likely find a way to crumble mentally but he still has some fast hands and the left hand still has power.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Gumby wrote:Rios or Guerrero would be cool but the fight I've always wanted to see is against Zab.

I'd be cool with that too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:32 pm

With Marquez, no opponent is ever certain. His name pops up for a lot of guys in the past few years. I think Arum will end up making Marquez vs Rios for the WBO 140lb title. I actually would love for him to fight Morales still. I really want to see that fight.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down