The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Boxing dying or dead?

+3
freakzilla
flapanther2001
shakefree
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is boxing dying or dead?

Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_lcap0%Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_lcap25%Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_lcap25%Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_lcap13%Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_lcap37%Is Boxing dying or dead? I_vote_rcap 37% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 16

Is Boxing dying or dead? Empty Is Boxing dying or dead?

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 pm

You hear this all the time, and if you compare boxing to what it was say in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, I might tend to agree. In my humble opinion however, although this year's fights wern't the greatest by any means, overall, boxing is about as good as it ever been.

Try to be objective, thoughts?

Some quality/rare footage of Jack Dempsey:

Back to top Go down

Is Boxing dying or dead? Empty Re: Is Boxing dying or dead?

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:10 pm

There can be no question that the sport is only a fraction of what it once was. At it's height one could go watch a live card in NYC 350 days a year. Now? 1/10 of that.

It is what it is. Even in its depleted state it's the best thing around.

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:24 pm

hardly any sport is"as good as it was"for many reasons,but boxing probably has suffered more in the age of reality tv,because the manufacturing of heroes(false idols),is more evident in boxing because stripped to the bones,no sport can compare with the essence of it.the charles darwin"theory of evolution".it's the epitome of survival of the fittest.or was before image,style became as important as substance.
p.s please don't really stop posting such stupid questions.it's the only opportunity i get to fool myself into thinking that i'm more moron,than idiot affraid

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:27 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:There can be no question that the sport is only a fraction of what it once was. At it's height one could go watch a live card in NYC 350 days a year. Now? 1/10 of that.

You've got a point, but for me personally, I like boxing just as much as I ever did, and not to compare 2010 to other years, but I believe boxing is currently a very popular sport, not only in the U.S. but all over the world.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:31 pm

shakefree wrote:hardly any sport is"as good as it was"for many reasons,but boxing probably has suffered more in the age of reality tv,because the manufacturing of heroes(false idols),is more evident in boxing because stripped to the bones,no sport can compare with the essence of it.the charles darwin"theory of evolution".it's the epitome of survival of the fittest.or was before image,style became as important as substance.
p.s please don't really stop posting such stupid questions.it's the only opportunity i get to fool myself into thinking that i'm more moron,than idiot affraid

That's probably a bit like me Shake, I really don't know jack-hit about boxing, but I get to pretend I do on boxing forums. clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Ring wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:There can be no question that the sport is only a fraction of what it once was. At it's height one could go watch a live card in NYC 350 days a year. Now? 1/10 of that.

You've got a point, but for me personally, I like boxing just as much as I ever did, and not to compare 2010 to other years, but I believe boxing is currently a very popular sport, not only in the U.S. but all over the world.

With the exception of the former Eastern Block all the numbers show the sport has declined in terms of numbers, fighters, fights etc.

But I'm kind of like you. I like it as much as I ever did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:41 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

With the exception of the former Eastern Block all the numbers show the sport has declined in terms of numbers, fighters, fights etc.

Interesting, I would have thought that in addition to the Eastern Block, places like the UK, Germany, Canada, et al, had shown a resurgence "in terms of numbers, fighters, fights" the last 5 years.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Ring wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

Interesting, I would have thought that in addition to the Eastern Block, places like the UK, Germany, Canada, et al, had shown a resurgence "in terms of numbers, fighters, fights" the last 5 years.

Germany, at least part of it, was Eastern Block. The UK is waaaaaay down and Canada's resurgence is at least partly due to a Romanian Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:00 pm

I don't think it's dead or dying as much as it's being overshadowed by other sports that are promoted better. We're all aware that it takes a special type of person to become a prize fighter. Fighters from the U.S. are molded differently than European or Latino fighters. These people (U.S.) aren't Ivy Leaguer's, they come from many ethnic & different backgrounds, with one commonality...trouble. In other countries, boys grow up wanting to be a fighter. We no longer have that desire in the States. It's not as noble as in most countries. Plus, if you're a great athlete, there are too many other heroes for you to follow. For decades, U.S. fighters came from the streets, P.A.L. programs, things like that. In poverty stricken areas, they need to fight in order to eat. Here, they can sling drugs & drive a $60,000 car. The only guarantee in life is change. Boxing will be kept alive by the countries that still need it. American fighters will drift away as time goes by.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:06 pm

The next 10 years are the most important in the history of the sport. MMA is a big draw card now for fighters under 20 and where they decide to make a living will have a big impact. Cain Velasquez being the UFC Heavyweight champ will pull even more Mexican fighters towards MMA and if Jon Jones becomes the LHW champ then I think he can have the same impact on the black community.

Boxing will never die though but whether it's number 1 or 2 is the question. In my opinion there is room for both.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:18 pm

"That's probably a bit like me Shake, I really don't know jack-hit about boxing, but I get to pretend I do on boxing forums."

lol! it's like women ring,we understand sweet fanny about them,but we do love them

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

shakefree wrote:"That's probably a bit like me Shake, I really don't know jack-hit about boxing, but I get to pretend I do on boxing forums."

lol! it's like women ring,we understand sweet fanny about them,but we do love them

Ain't that the truth, can't live with 'um can't live without 'um. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:45 pm

or to quote al bundy"women can't live with 'em & pass the beer nuts' Evil or Very Mad

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Boxing is mismanaged
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Actualy boxing opening up in parts of the world that was never a big thing in. China is the biggest one. It's booming their, especialy after they won gold in Olympic boxing for first time.

Why Don King, and WBC are off kissing but over in China. It's a huge market. My bet is there will be some big fight being held in China in the very near future.

Boxing not dead nor will it ever be dead. Idiots in media been saying this since boxing first started. I was reading old articles on boxing in 1930s and media people were procliaming boxing death within a few years. How's that worked out?

It has taken a hit in US because not available to the blue collar person, who are the fans of boxing. Promoters and fighters don't give a fuck about the fans or how they can't spend 60 bucks for every big fight.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:36 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Actualy boxing opening up in parts of the world that was never a big thing in. China is the biggest one. It's booming their, especialy after they won gold in Olympic boxing for first time.

Why Don King, and WBC are off kissing but over in China. It's a huge market. My bet is there will be some big fight being held in China in the very near future.

Boxing not dead nor will it ever be dead. Idiots in media been saying this since boxing first started. I was reading old articles on boxing in 1930s and media people were procliaming boxing death within a few years. How's that worked out?

It has taken a hit in US because not available to the blue collar person, who are the fans of boxing. Promoters and fighters don't give a fuck about the fans or how they can't spend 60 bucks for every big fight.

Good post Grant, I think it's safe to say that American fighters don't dominate like they once did, these days pro boxing is an international sport, like no other time in it's history. Maybe it's unpatriotic, but there's damn few American fighters that i'm a fan of these days.

Boxing, ain't dying, and it will survive just fine because of it's hardcore and casual fan base, and the quality of boxers it has from all over the world, the country they come from isn't important, it's what they bring to the ring that matters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm

A guy who works in the same building as me has been a Photo Assistant covering boxing for Sports Illustrated for about twenty-five years told me boxing is garbage today.The gentleman and I have often talked about the current state of the game and the lack of high profile fights that is damaging the sport.

I understand it is only one man's opinion,but he is not the only person who has conveyed this concern to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:45 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:A guy who works in the same building as me has been a Photo Assistant covering boxing for Sports Illustrated for about twenty-five years told me boxing is garbage today.The gentleman and I have often talked about the current state of the game and the lack of high profile fights that is damaging the sport.

I understand it is only one man's opinion,but he is not the only person who has conveyed this concern to me.

Ever notice how everything is always better in "the good old days"? Only the reality is, they really wern't.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Ring wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:A guy who works in the same building as me has been a Photo Assistant covering boxing for Sports Illustrated for about twenty-five years told me boxing is garbage today.The gentleman and I have often talked about the current state of the game and the lack of high profile fights that is damaging the sport.

Ever notice how everything is always better in "the good old days"? Only the reality is, they really wern't.

You're telling me the sport is BETTER today than it was in the 80's?I remember guys willing to fight the best without fearing the loss of their "0."

Boxing may not be 'dying" internationally,but it has indeed taken a hit here in the States.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Ring wrote:

The premise is wrong. Most things are better, particularly in sports. Not boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:24 pm

You're telling me the sport is BETTER today than it was in the 80's?I remember guys willing to fight the best without fearing the loss of their "0."

Boxing may not be 'dying" internationally,but it has indeed taken a hit here in the States.

No, i'm not saying it's better now Winston, or that pro boxing hasn't taken a big hit here in the U.S., the last 10 years. I believe the main reason most fans have for saying boxing has gone into the crapper is Americans are no longer dominate.
Just saying everything changes, we have a lot more international Pugs now, which isn't such a bad thing, i'm good with it but a lot of other American fans aren't.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Ring wrote:

No, i'm not saying it's better now Winston, or that pro boxing hasn't taken a big hit here in the U.S., the last 10 years. I believe the main reason most fans have for saying boxing has gone into the crapper is Americans are no longer dominate.
Just saying everything changes, we have a lot more international Pugs now, which isn't such a bad thing, i'm good with it but a lot of other American fans aren't.

Maybe it's just that I grew up with a Nicaraguan and a Panamanian as my favorites and then a few years later in my teen years grew to be a fan of a Mexican and a Ghanan but I don't get the nationalist approach to boxing. But whatever floats one's boat I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Ring wrote:

You make some solid points.Perhaps,I'm an old dinosaur who pines for the good ol' days.The present lack of dominant American fighters has lessened my zeal for the sport.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

Maybe it's just that I grew up with a Nicaraguan and a Panamanian as my favorites and then a few years later in my teen years grew to be a fan of a Mexican and a Ghanan but I don't get the nationalist approach to boxing. But whatever floats one's boat I guess.

As a child I grew up waching and admiring American fighters,but through the years I have admired foreign born boxers as well.I even have a Canadian(Chuvalo) and a Nicaraguan(Arguello) in my list of all-time faves.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

Although i've always been "nationalistic" about U.S. Olympic boxing, Pro Boxing has been a somewhat different story, especially the last 5 years, a good example of this was Martinez-Williams II, how many American boxing fans do you think were pulling for Williams? (because he was an American)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next