The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn

5 posters

Go down

Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn  Empty Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 pm

By all accounts, the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., is going to be an awesome facility. The $1 billion arena, which will open in September, will be the home of the NBA's New Jersey Nets.The building's managers wanted to keep it busy between Nets games and so have been working on bringing in other events....

Klitschko defends his IBF, WBA, WBO and Ring Magazine belts against former cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck on Saturday in Germany. If Klitschko wins, the plan then would have been to match him with American Chris Arreola in Brooklyn on Oct. 20.

It seemed a perfect match. Instead, it will get a card that is expected to feature former super lightweight champion Paulie Malignaggi, who is a New York native.

The reason? According to Chris Mannix of SI.com, the arena signed an exclusive deal with Golden Boy Promotions. And because Boente doesn't have any interest in working with Golden Boy, Barclays will lose what would have been a mega-event.

The people who run the building came to us and asked us to bring a Klitschko fight to the Barclays Center. When we said yes, they said we had to take Golden Boy as a co-promoter. We're not going to do that. I don't want to do a co-promotion with an American who has nothing to do with the Klitschkos. Why should we? We're about to do our seventh stadium event. We do huge shows all over Europe. We have fought at Madison Square Garden. They bring nothing to the show.

As it is, it will get only Golden Boy shows from folks who are willing to cede their promotion to Golden Boy. Boente told Mannix that was hardly appealing to him.

If the Barclays Center wants a Klitschko fight, there can't be any preconditions. If they want to deal with Golden Boy and their crappy fighters, fine. I can't understand why an arena is doing an exclusive deal with an American promoter. What do they bring to the table? A Klitschko fight is a worldwide event. It would be covered by 150 countries. It would be huge with the Russian speaking community [in Brooklyn]. I just don't understand what they are doing.

http://tinyurl.com/7gb426k
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn  Empty Re: Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn

Post  Diego408 Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 am

The state of our economy and how bad HW interest is in the States, I dont believe any HW championship match belongs here, just over seas. They would not get any people in those seats, unless the sames are Mayweather or Pacquiao.

on a side note, if I was HBO I'd try to lock up Arreola. I would match him up with Wlad, Haye and Chisora. I think Chisora vs Arreola would be a War.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn  Empty Re: Golden Boy ruins a Wlad-Arreola fight in Brooklyn

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am

It should happen in LA, staples center or home depot center

Be cool to see golovkin vs Quillin happen
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

I cannot stand Beonte, at least with Golden Boy on board there might be a decent undercard because K2 ones are complete utter garbage.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 am

On second thought, maybe Wladimir Klitschko can fight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn after all. Just not on opening night. The past few days have seen a war of words between Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy, and Bernd Boente, manager of the Klitschko brothers, over the possibility of Wladimir fighting in Brooklyn, possibly against Chris Arreola at the Barclays Center on Oct. 20.

The arena is contracted to do big-ticket boxing shows every month after it opens in the fall. The opening night is Oct. 20, the same date when Boente would like to see Klitschko face Arreola.

He(Boente) recently told SI.com that Schaefer is using his deal in Brooklyn at the exclusion of other fighters and at the expense of fans, specifically to keep Wladimir from fighting there. Schaefer, not one to hold his tongue, shot back, saying the handlers responsible for selling the Klitschkos to an American audience have done a poor job (Schaefer is fond of calling the Klitschkos the “German heavyweight champions” because of their proclivity for fighting in Germany to adoring crowds) and would be wise to partner with Golden Boy to co-promote in the U.S., a suggestion that Boente scoffs at.

However, Schaefer offered an olive branch of sorts to the Klitschkos and Boente in their bid to fight in Brooklyn. The Klitschkos can fight there, Schaefer told BoxingScene, just not on opening night, which Schaefer likened to a movie premiere and the perfect time for him to sell his vision of boxing to Brooklyn. Rather, the brothers can fight in November or December, for example, just any date but Oct. 20. And they can do so as the lead promoter without worrying about Golden Boy’s involvement. Schaefer said he’s perfectly willing to step aside for a month and allow someone else to promote if it’s in the best interest of the arena. Golden Boy's three-year deal with Barclays calls for monthly shows, of the big and small variety.

“I don’t care,” Schaefer said. “They can go. I don’t need to be involved. They can do a fight there and do a deal with the Barclays Center. I couldn’t care less but not for the opening weekend.”

Tom Loeffler, managing director of K2 promotions, which promotes the Klitschkos, said there was a little confusion as to who would stage the initial show in the event one of the brothers fought on opening night.

“At that time it wasn’t clear that it needed to be a co-promotion [until after the meeting],” Loeffler said.

Loeffler was certainly pleased to hear the possibility of doing a show in Brooklyn without having to work with another promoter.

“Yeah sure, that would be of interest,” he said from Germany, where Wladimir defended his heavyweight titles against Jean-Marc Mormeck on Saturday. “That was the whole reason why [Klitschkos’ manager] Bernd took the meeting in the first place to explore those possibilities.”

Schaefer wants to use the first date to make a good first impression on the New York fight fans and make a connection.

To that end, and with a subtle jab at the Klitschkos, Schaefer said he wants to showcase fighters who have “connected” to American sports fans, and “fighters who are relevant to a U.S. audience” and who are agreeable to fighting often in Brooklyn in the initial show.

Loeffler took issue with the idea the Klitschkos can't do good business in America, referencing shows they did in New York and L.A. as proof of the fighters' popularity.

http://tinyurl.com/7ox3up9
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am

Man, I really want to see this fight. I think Arreola has a chance. If anything is going to motivate his fat ass to train hard, it's this fight.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am

Shaun wrote:Man, I really want to see this fight. I think Arreola has a chance. If anything is going to motivate his fat ass to train hard, it's this fight.

If Arreola wants to have a chance he needs to come in around 220. And try to punch in bunches. Not 235 where he looks fat but claims to be in shape.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 am

GBP should just ask to have Seth Mitchell on the undercard vs Adamek!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:53 am

gomez1012 wrote:GBP should just ask to have Seth Mitchell on the undercard vs Adamek!

That would be a awsome fight. So it won't happen
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 am

Yup. Gotta have mismatches!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down