The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion)

+3
UBeeg9cats
freakzilla
captainanddew
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion) - Page 4 Empty Re: UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion)

Post  captainanddew Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 pm

freakzilla wrote:
captainanddew wrote:when is the next MMA event (non ppv)? I don't think it will ever replace boxing for me, but I am appreciating it more and more.

Feb 16. Feb 5 is the next PPV. I always have links so I'll send you one for the next PPV.

awesome!.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion) - Page 4 Empty Re: UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion)

Post  Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Can't wait to hear Grant ripping this card.

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:02 am

My thoughts on UFC on FOX 2.

1) First fight "looked like two drunk guys fighting outside of a bar." I didn't even have to say that, Joe Rogan did it for me.

2) Michael Bisping should have been given the decision.

3) The main event was a mismatch without a submission or knockout. This is when the 5 round format can backfire. Puts fans to sleep.

4) This is now the 2nd event in a row (UFC on FOX) where the UFC has failed to perform in the "entertainment" area. The first event kept everyone tuned in due to the 45 minutes of buildup to the one fight scheduled to air. This time, however, is most likely to have significantly lower ratings due to the long, uneventful fights that took place. The ultimate goal for UFC on FOX is to keep the casual fans and gain new fans. There weren't any new fans created tonight. If anything, there were fans lost. Everyone thought it was such a great thing for UFC to be on FOX. I always had my doubts. The UFC wants to continue to have so many PPVs and also big fights on network TV? You can't have both. You have to pick one or the other. I don't see UFC fights being aired on FOX in 2013. I think they will remain with FUEL/FX though.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 am

Shaun wrote:My thoughts on UFC on FOX 2.

1) First fight "looked like two drunk guys fighting outside of a bar." I didn't even have to say that, Joe Rogan did it for me.

2) Michael Bisping should have been given the decision.

3) The main event was a mismatch without a submission or knockout. This is when the 5 round format can backfire. Puts fans to sleep.

4) This is now the 2nd event in a row (UFC on FOX) where the UFC has failed to perform in the "entertainment" area. The first event kept everyone tuned in due to the 45 minutes of buildup to the one fight scheduled to air. This time, however, is most likely to have significantly lower ratings due to the long, uneventful fights that took place. The ultimate goal for UFC on FOX is to keep the casual fans and gain new fans. There weren't any new fans created tonight. If anything, there were fans lost. Everyone thought it was such a great thing for UFC to be on FOX. I always had my doubts. The UFC wants to continue to have so many PPVs and also big fights on network TV? You can't have both. You have to pick one or the other. I don't see UFC fights being aired on FOX in 2013. I think they will remain with FUEL/FX though.

I think combat sports need to realize they do not need top tier, meaningful fights on FOX or other main channels. The fans will watch regardless but you need action fights to pull in the casual fans. Put on at least one fight with 2nd or 3rd tier guys that are both strikers with no defense and it is better than these 2 events put together.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Can't wait to hear Grant ripping this card.
I cant believe there was not more fireworks. I thought for sure the first fight was going to be really good. Sad
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
I cant believe there was not more fireworks. I thought for sure the first fight was going to be really good. Sad

yeah, one fighter looked a little long in the tooth while the other looked like he only had 11 days notice.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:

I thought Sonnen and Shad would have scored TKO's but you can't win them all. Stylwise they weren't great match ups but I understand why Joe Silva made those fights, Sonnen and Shad are star material deserving of such a large platform.

The good thing is Miller vs. Diaz has already been set for UFC on Fox III, that'll definitely provide fireworks.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion) - Page 4 Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

UFC on Fox II (Official Live Discussion) - Page 4 Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:18 am

Saturday hour by hour:

8 p.m.

NBC: "Harry's Law" rerun (4.0 million, 2.8/5)
ABC: "Wipeout" rerun (4.0 million, 2.3/4)
Fox: "UFC on Fox" first hour (3.9 million, 2.1,4)
CBS: "Rules of Engagement"/"Mike & Molly" reruns (2.8 million, 1.8/3)

18-49 leader "Wipeout" 1.1

9 p.m.
CBS: "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" rerun (5.1 million, 3.4/6)
Fox: "UFC on Fox" second hour (4.8 million, 2.6/4)
NBC: "U.S. Figure Skating Championship first hour (3.2 million, 2.2/4)
ABC: "Blades of Glory" first hour (2.8 million, 1.7/3)

18-49 leader "Blades of Glory" 0.9

http://tinyurl.com/7c2dvet

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 am

GrantZilla wrote:Saturday hour by hour:

8 p.m.

NBC: "Harry's Law" rerun (4.0 million, 2.8/5)
ABC: "Wipeout" rerun (4.0 million, 2.3/4)
Fox: "UFC on Fox" first hour (3.9 million, 2.1,4)
CBS: "Rules of Engagement"/"Mike & Molly" reruns (2.8 million, 1.8/3)

18-49 leader "Wipeout" 1.1

9 p.m.
CBS: "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" rerun (5.1 million, 3.4/6)
Fox: "UFC on Fox" second hour (4.8 million, 2.6/4)
NBC: "U.S. Figure Skating Championship first hour (3.2 million, 2.2/4)
ABC: "Blades of Glory" first hour (2.8 million, 1.7/3)

18-49 leader "Blades of Glory" 0.9

http://tinyurl.com/7c2dvet

Is this considered a success or a failure from FOX's point of view? Three television show re-runs had more viewers while FOX had to dish out money for a new show. Seems like the might rather just put on a re-run and save some money.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 am

Shaun wrote:Is this considered a success or a failure from FOX's point of view? Three television show re-runs had more viewers while FOX had to dish out money for a new show. Seems like the might rather just put on a re-run and save some money.

This is why Hershman when he was with Showtime couldn't get boxing on CBS. CBS didn't want to spend the extra money for something that would probably get the same or more likely less viewers than a rerun of CSI, which they already paid for.

Sounds to me FOX bought into White's bullshit that UFC was rising to the same level as the major sports. Because they are paying the UFC 100 million a year!

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Shaun wrote:Is this considered a success or a failure from FOX's point of view? Three television show re-runs had more viewers while FOX had to dish out money for a new show. Seems like the might rather just put on a re-run and save some money.

This is why Hershman when he was with Showtime couldn't get boxing on CBS. CBS didn't want to spend the extra money for something that would probably get the same or more likely less viewers than a rerun of CSI, which they already paid for.

Sounds to me FOX bought into White's bullshit that UFC was rising to the same level as the major sports. Because they are paying the UFC 100 million a year!

It's just funny how the UFC has managed to promote itself as being something that it is not. I think we all know that Boxing would do poor on network TV (unless it was a mega fight), but Boxing fans are realistic about it. Dana White has managed to create a cult following like Steve Jobs did with Apple users.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:48 am

EDIT: Moved this post to boxing forum
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm

I thought it was a solid card. I could see why Fox would can it though. If Dana wants to get people's attention he would have to put a legitimate PPV card on network tv. If they can get Jon Jones and Evans or Sonnen and Silva to headline that would be perfect.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Gumby wrote:I thought it was a solid card. I could see why Fox would can it though. If Dana wants to get people's attention he would have to put a legitimate PPV card on network tv. If they can get Jon Jones and Evans or Sonnen and Silva to headline that would be perfect.
How long until Fox demands it?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
Gumby wrote:I thought it was a solid card. I could see why Fox would can it though. If Dana wants to get people's attention he would have to put a legitimate PPV card on network tv. If they can get Jon Jones and Evans or Sonnen and Silva to headline that would be perfect.

I doubt they'll demand it. They'll just religate UFC to FX and Fuel

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

not for the amount of money they are paying
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I can see Dana burning bridges with FOX soon enough. Burned his bridges with ESPN and once he does it with FOX, other networks will not want to deal with him. He also burned bridges with Showtime, Zuffa is lucky to have a contract with them still.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Shaun wrote:I can see Dana burning bridges with FOX soon enough. Burned his bridges with ESPN and once he does it with FOX, other networks will not want to deal with him. He also burned bridges with Showtime, Zuffa is lucky to have a contract with them still.

FOX will spin it that everything is great. They are not going to admit they made a bad deal. Which it was.

They are paying the UFC 100 million a year. HBO spends like 35 million a year on boxing, and HBO is a pay channel. HBO also get's a % of the PPVs they put on. FOX get's jack from the UFC PPVs.

The fights they set-up this weekend will be on PPV which FOX will get nothing from. Good for the UFC, bad for FOX.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Shaun wrote:I can see Dana burning bridges with FOX soon enough. Burned his bridges with ESPN and once he does it with FOX, other networks will not want to deal with him. He also burned bridges with Showtime, Zuffa is lucky to have a contract with them still.

FOX will spin it that everything is great. They are not going to admit they made a bad deal. Which it was.

They are paying the UFC 100 million a year. HBO spends like 35 million a year on boxing, and HBO is a pay channel. HBO also get's a % of the PPVs they put on. FOX get's jack from the UFC PPVs.

The fights they set-up this weekend will be on PPV which FOX will get nothing from. Good for the UFC, bad for FOX.

Conclusion: UFC is getting paid $100 million to advertise their PPVs.

Sounds like an amazing deal for UFC right now, but I still think it will come back to hurt them once FOX cancels them and they are stuck on FX/FUEL.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4