The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 142 (Official Discussion)

4 posters

Go down

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) Empty UFC 142 (Official Discussion)

Post  freakzilla Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 am

Date- January 14, 2012
Venue- HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Official Fight Card-

Main Card (PPV)

Jose Aldo (c) vs Chad Mendes
Vitor Belfort vs Anthony Johnson
Rousimar Palhares vs Mike Massenzio
Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater
Edson Barboza vs Terry Etim

Preliminary Card (FX)

Thiago Tavares vs Sam Stout
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Edinaldo Oliveira
Yuri Alcantara vs Michihiro Omigawa
Ricardo Funch vs Mike Pyle
Fabio Maldonado vs Caio Magalhaes
Felipe Arantes vs Antonio Carvalho

Last edited by freakzilla on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) Empty Re: UFC 142 (Official Discussion)

Post  freakzilla Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:03 am

Anthony Johnson before his Middleweight debut-

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) Anthony-johnson-185
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/1/4/2683328/chad-mendes-i-dont-care-who-jose-aldo-trains-with-their-wrestling-is

UFC 142: Chad Mendes doesn't care who Jose Aldo trains with, his wrestling is better than theirs

Undefeated Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight Chad Mendes will have the unenviable task of stepping into the Octagon against one of the most dangerous strikers in mixed martial arts (MMA) -- 145-pound champion Jose Aldo.

Mendes will collide with "Scarface" in the UFC 142 main event on Jan. 14, 2012, in hostile territory at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The former NCAA Division-1 wrestler has undoubtedly earned his shot at the featherweight title, remaining unbeaten (11-0) in his young mixed martial arts (MMA) career, while relying heavily on his exceptional mat experience to control the pace of fights.

As a member of Team Alpha Male, Mendes has trained alongside UFC featherweight Urijah Faber, who can provide invaluable inside information to "Money," seeing as how "The California Kid" spent 25 minutes locked inside a cage with Aldo at World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) 48, losing via unanimous decision.

In an attempt to brush up on his wrestling skills to contend with those of Mendes, Aldo enlisted the services of former number one contender, UFC lightweight Gray Maynard, another accomplished wrestling powerhouse.

Speaking at today's UFC 142 conference call, Mendes feels that his skills are more than enough to dethrone the featherweight champion, regardless of who Aldo has in his camp.

Check it out:

"I don't care who Jose trains with. I train with some of the best guys in the world. It's what I've done my entire life and I don't take a year off ever. You can work with the best wrestler in the world but his wrestling is not going to be anywhere near mine. Maynard doesn't know how good I am. He's just saying that because he's training with Aldo. I feel I'm prepared. My stand-up is gonna be good and my wrestling will be better. I'm in the best spot possible. I think Jose has all the pressure on his shoulders. He's the one fighting in his home crowd, he's the one with the belt. I feel my skills are enough to beat him and all the pressure is on him. I don't think any of the guys that fought him have the wrestling credentials or ability to get him to the ground and hold him there. We figured out his strengths and weaknesses. We've gone over situations and we've come up with something that's gonna be great for the 14th."

Unbeaten in his last 13 fights, Aldo has proven to be one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, breezing through his opponents with relative ease, relying heavily on his laser-like striking.

However, Mark Hominick -- who is not known for great wrestling -- was able to take the Brazilian down at will in their co-main event bout at UFC 129 this past April, taking the 145-pound champion the distance. It's an eye-opening performance that Mendes surely picked up on and hopes to capitalize when they step into the Octagon next weekend.

Can Mendes go into the Brazilian's home turf and end the reign of Aldo atop the featherweight division using his impressive wrestling techniques? Or will "Scarface" continue his dominance with his striking in this classic striker vs. grappler match up?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:54 am

This PPV will bomb wont it? The Aldo fight should be really good though.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am

Soonermark890 wrote:This PPV will bomb wont it? The Aldo fight should be really good though.

Won't even get 200,000 buys. Sad really as though they aren't big names these fights will be exciting. Trust me Sooner you should watch this even if it's on the net.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am

freakzilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:This PPV will bomb wont it? The Aldo fight should be really good though.

Won't even get 200,000 buys. Sad really as though they aren't big names these fights will be exciting. Trust me Sooner you should watch this even if it's on the net.
I usually watch all of them on the net. But man that card will be lucky to break 150,000 buys. The UFC really is going to hurt this year isnt it?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

I usually watch all of them on the net. But man that card will be lucky to break 150,000 buys. The UFC really is going to hurt this year isnt it?

Yeah it probably wont get 150,000. I think it will pick up but Jose Aldo and Mendes aren't big enough names to headline just yet. The UFC is putting too much pressure on Aldo. Also having 2 PPV's just 15 days apart is just stupid.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:21 am

freakzilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Yeah it probably wont get 150,000. I think it will pick up but Jose Aldo and Mendes aren't big enough names to headline just yet. The UFC is putting too much pressure on Aldo. Also having 2 PPV's just 15 days apart is just stupid.
Grant is right Dana needs to build stars.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Grant is right Dana needs to build stars.

Just put up an article about this.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 pm

im learning mma. I tried a couple of times before and didn't get it. Last couple of months I have been getting more of a feel for it. It probably will never be number 1 in my heart (boxing is), but I am starting to enjoy it.

How many PPVs in a year is normal for UFC?
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 pm

captainanddew wrote:im learning mma. I tried a couple of times before and didn't get it. Last couple of months I have been getting more of a feel for it. It probably will never be number 1 in my heart (boxing is), but I am starting to enjoy it.

How many PPVs in a year is normal for UFC?
shit who knows? over and under at 20.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 am

Between 15-18 PPV's with a few extra fight night cards and TUF finales.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) Empty UFC 142

Post  Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 am

What a superb card, UFC off to a flying start in 2012.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:55 am

Amazing, simply magnifico.

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) 496250330

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:45 am

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Amazing, simply magnifico.

UFC 142 (Official Discussion) 496250330

Great KO!
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 am

Hey, it should do more than the Hopkins/Dawson PPV. Which by the way, was probably the worst PPV fight I have seen.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:05 am

UFC 142 got around 225,000 buys according to Dave Meltzer.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down