The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II Empty Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:15 am

That's sad. There's no exscuse for that low of a turn out. I guess people in Atlantic City don't like to see good fights anymore. I dunno

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II Empty Re: Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 am

I'll betcha more folks show up for Sergio's next one!

Troubling though, very troubling.

Back to top Go down

Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II Empty Re: Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 am

Makes me wonder if the fight was even advertised. Did they even bother to put up a billboard in Atantic City? How much were the tickets.

I dunno. I think promoters these days completly suck at promoting fights. They just care about TV money, not how many asses they can get into seats, which what old promoters relied on.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 am

GrantZilla wrote:Makes me wonder if the fight was even advertised. Did they even bother to put up a billboard in Atantic City? How much were the tickets.

I dunno. I think promoters these days completly suck at promoting fights. They just care about TV money, not how many asses they can get into seats, which what old promoters relied on.

Just an idea, but why didn't they think outside the box and make it a California fight. Martinez lives in Oxnard currently. There is a ton of fighters from California that could be put on the undercard (from prospects to contenders). Absolutely load the undercard, promote the shit out of the fights locally, and with PW vs Martinez (fight of the year candidate) as the main event then it could do very well.

Atlantic City works well if you have a big East Coast draw like Gatti or Adamek.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:48 am

Usualy Williams fights are in Cali or West Coast because Goossen is Cali based. Doesn't matter at this point that Williams is East Coast base. They failed at building him a hometown audience.

I agree. Have it in Cali, get some popular local fightes, and spend few extra bucks for a fucking billiboard on the highway.

Goossen is an idiot. This same moron that had Adamek fight Arreola in a half empty venue in Cali, when Adamek could had a packed house in Prudential Center
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 am

i was also suprized when i saw that paid attendence number..pavik by the way also sells out atlantic city..the cal based fight makes more sence i think..especialy la with a good size fan base and plenty of hispanics..even vegas would of been a better choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 am

I think promoters don't even give a shit anymore about actualy promoting and drawing a card. Long as they get fat TV check, they are fine.

To them, advertising a fight, gasp, they would actualy have to pay for

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:05 am

Williams has about as much charisma as a cabbage, and he's not a draw. While Martinez is well known to us hardcore boxing fans, he's not exactly a household name, (he is now though) that's part of the reason for the low numbers.

Back to top Go down

Only 5,500 showed up for Martinez-Williams II Empty P4P rankings?

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:34 am

Last edited by Ring on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 am

Ring wrote:First off, P4P rankings are totally subjective, i'm sure Ring and other orgs have a system they use, but to me, this should be the criteria:

#1 Be active and/or fight often, I don't care how skilled/talented you are, if you're not showing it in the ring regularly. Why should someone who fights 2-3 times a year be ranked below someone who fights once a year or less?

#2. Skill/Talent is important in determining P4P, but equally important, is the way you win your fights, if you're, challenging yourself, crowd pleasing, exciting, and dominating/destroying your opponents shouldn't you be ranked higher then some fucking clown who doesn't?

...good points ring..

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddie1437 Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 am

This is what makes me laugh about Paul and when he was demanding 50/50 against Pavlik or anyone for that matter, the guy just doesn't have any fans. Martinez definitely made a lot of fans though and he should be a lot better off as far as filling out a venue!
Freddie1437
Freddie1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:49 am

...good points ring..

I put this post in the wrong thread dmar.. Razz I moved it to a thread of it's own, my bad..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:56 am

I blame it on lack of promotion, you shouldn't fail with a great rematch like this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Williams is not a draw in his own country, state, or hometown. Which makes his attitude and demands all the more disgusting.

Like I said not long ago, Glen Johnson should hire Al Haymon - he'd be making millions each fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Lou needs to start getting Martinez more exposure to the Latin market, have him appear on Spanish radio stations and tv shows like Dana White's doing with Cain Valesquez.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Ali wrote:Lou needs to start getting Martinez more exposure to the Latin market, have him appear on Spanish radio stations and tv shows like Dana White's doing with Cain Valesquez.

I agree, and get his face out there. Women will love him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Canvas wrote:
Ali wrote:Lou needs to start getting Martinez more exposure to the Latin market, have him appear on Spanish radio stations and tv shows like Dana White's doing with Cain Valesquez.

I agree, and get his face out there. Women will love him.

Women will love him, men will want to be him and Paul Williams will continue to have nightmares about him.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I read that they had set up a smaller venue for this fight, not sure the max was though
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:31 pm

yeah 5500 can actually be a good crowd depending on the venue and expectations. Williams would probably be thrilled if he could count on drawing 5000 per fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:45 pm

5,500 isnt that bad giving that neither have ever been a draw. They put it in Atlantic City because that's where the 1st fight was. Both fighters had a chance to build a fanbase in AC with a win. I dont think it would have done much better in Cali.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:52 pm

a very honest question..no sarcasizm ment..im wondering if berto and williams fought how many would they draw..is 2500 unrealistic.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 pm

dmar5143 wrote:a very honest question..no sarcasizm ment..im wondering if berto and williams fought how many would they draw..is 2500 unrealistic.

Take away the relatives and Paul vs Berto does about 697.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Canvas wrote:yeah 5500 can actually be a good crowd depending on the venue and expectations. Williams would probably be thrilled if he could count on drawing 5000 per fight.

+1

I believe its a decent gate, no one was expecting a sell out, and from everything I recall, it was set up for a smaller crowd

Why do people try and make this out to be a bad thing for the fighter? He did his job and delivered
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

gomez1012 wrote: I believe its a decent gate, no one was expecting a sell out, and from everything I recall, it was set up for a smaller crowd

Why do people try and make this out to be a bad thing for the fighter? He did his job and delivered

I don't blame the fighters, I blame the promoters. This was a great fight, and 5,000k is a alright number, but I expected a bigger crowd for a rematch like this.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:00 am

@danrafaelespn Was told Martinez-Williams was 2nd-highest rated HBO fight of year, just a tick under Cotto-Foreman. Very impressive for such a short fight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next