The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i read something interesting that mickey walker said...

4 posters

Go down

i read something interesting that mickey walker said... Empty i read something interesting that mickey walker said...

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:01 am

im reading this book that has a ton of past champions talking about their life in boxing and mickey walker said that bigger fighters were easier for him because they were slow and that MIDDLEWEIGHTS HIT JUST AS HARD AS HEAVYWEGHTS! now take into account that most of the HWs that he fought were small compared to todays standards. they weighed around 200. although he did say that he fought someone who weighed 280.

so i just want to know what you guys think about this. i mean, could a 160 lber really hit just as hard as a 200 lber? it just seems weird but he did say it. i guess that i could agree somewhat because we have seen time and time again the smaller guy beat the bigger guy in boxing and even take some of their shots.

thoughts?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

i read something interesting that mickey walker said... Empty Re: i read something interesting that mickey walker said...

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 am

I guess you could take into account that speed, leverage and accuracy = power. I would say that because a middleweight may be faster than a a heavyweight Walker may have taken shots from a Middleweight that he didn't see as well and was unable to defend as well. Or he was just a tough son of a bitch.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

i read something interesting that mickey walker said... Empty Re: i read something interesting that mickey walker said...

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:27 am

Could a 160 pounder really hit just as hard as a 200 pounder? On average, no.

Power is mass x velocity. So the more mass you have, the harder you're going to hit.

The rub is, more mass means you're usually slower. Valuev is a extreme example. He's so big and slow that he has no velocity on his punches, and why he doesn't have any kind of real power. The Klitschkos on the other hand are big, but they lean themselves out to retain speed.

And because 200 pounders are use to getting hit by big men, it would be hard for a 160 pounder to actually hurt them. Why Pac's power is not the same as it was in the lower classes. He's fighting bigger guys.

Then you got factor in how a fighter punches. You can have a 200 pounder that doesn't leverage or fully comment to a punch. Meaning, they don't put their mass into the punch. So when the punch is thrown, they might be punching with less mass behind it then say 160 pounder throwing all his weight into it.

This is why Marcanio, Tyson, ect took down bigger guys. They put their entire mass into a punch.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:40 am

walker indeed was one tough guy.a all time great that could of been greater if he actualy trained instead of booze and broads..yes mickeys correct in saying a middle at 160 could hit as hard or harder then a heavy at 200.there the exception not the rule.walker and ketchel are 2 perfect examples.the 2 formulars given is true but again there are several exceptions.bob foster hearns arguello saddler no mass skin and bones but heavy handed and a great punchers.toss sam langford in the mix when he fought in the high 160s.a jimmy wilde is a great example of the exception and not the rule.artie levine from the 40s to early 50s is a example of a middle who could hit like a heavy without the advantages of both formulars.again the exception.so lets say mickeys particaly correct to a certain degree and partcialy wrong to a greater certain degree.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down