The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity

+2
captainanddew
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity Empty Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 pm

According to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, former champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero would certainly be "in the mix" for a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. - if a possible mega-match with Manny Pacquiao falls through. Mayweather is scheduled to return on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

During a recent interview by Lem Satterfield of RingTV, Richard Schaefer said that you are certainly going to be a candidate to fight Mayweather, if a deal can't be reached with Manny Pacquiao. What are thoughts on that?

RG: Yeah I talked to Richard on Thanksgiving and l told him that my shoulder is feeling great and that I want a shot at Mayweather. He was happy to hear the good news about my shoulder and told me he was going to work hard to get me a big fight.

Will you be ready to go by May 5th?

RG: Absolutely, as I stated [on Tuesday night] on the Boxing Lab radio show, I’ll be able to go full force back in the gym on January 1st. What people don’t understand is that I’ve been fighting with a bad shoulder my entire career and finally had to get it fixed. That gives me plenty of time to get ready for Floyd and a mega Cinco de Mayo showdown.

You have a big frame and I’m assuming the weight won’t be a problem moving up to 147. Will you do anything different in your diet if you get the fight?

RG: People don’t understand that I’m bigger than Floyd and a lot of other fighters from 135-147. Don’t forget Floyd started his career at Jr. Lightweight (130lbs). Manny Pacquiao started his career at Flyweight (107lbs). So people have to look past the size issue and realistically I walk into the ring weighing more than Maywether on fight night. I’ve said it many times, styles make fights not size. In regards to my diet, yeah I’m going to continue to use Bob Santos, the best nutritionist in boxing and I’ll be stronger than ever. We already talked and we will be doing some different things if the fight gets made.

Do you have any closing thoughts?

RG: Yeah I want to let the fans know that if I get this fight, I’m going to shock the world and dethrone Floyd Mayweather and become the new pound for pound king. A hungry fighter cannot be denied.

http://tinyurl.com/792xcms
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity Empty Re: Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity

Post  captainanddew Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:28 pm

I like Guerrero, but you gotta be kidding me.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity Empty Re: Guerrero on Schaefer's Talk of a Mayweather Opportunity

Post  powerpuncher Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 am

i dont like guerrero. all he has been doing is running his mouth for the past several months and hasnt even gotten in the ring. he isnt even that good. all he wants is a freakin check. he will get KO'd inside 4 against mayweather. there are dozens of fights that he could make that i would way rather see.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 am

powerpuncher wrote:i dont like guerrero. all he has been doing is running his mouth for the past several months and hasnt even gotten in the ring. he isnt even that good. all he wants is a freakin check. he will get KO'd inside 4 against mayweather. there are dozens of fights that he could make that i would way rather see.

I agree. Guerrero talks a lot of shit for doing nothing. He get's spanked by Orlando Saldio and then quit against Daud Yordan. Yet he thinks anyone wants to see his ass fight Mayweather?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:48 pm

You'd think Robert might be a bit humble considering the traumatic times he's had with his wife these past couple years.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Evil or Very Mad
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Guerrero is a humble guy, hes just trying to talk himself into a big fight. He doesnt want to face any good competition to get a money fight because it will be too risky because Guerrero isnt that good, a guy like Katsidis gave him a run for his money lol. He wants the Mayweather only to get paid, he knows he has no prayer in actually winning and its the reason why hes being considered by GBP.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Diego408 wrote:Guerrero is a humble guy, hes just trying to talk himself into a big fight. He doesnt want to face any good competition to get a money fight because it will be too risky because Guerrero isnt that good, a guy like Katsidis gave him a run for his money lol. He wants the Mayweather only to get paid, he knows he has no prayer in actually winning and its the reason why hes being considered by GBP.

Ghost dominated that fight. I agree he hasn't come anywhere close to earning Floyd but he is a good fighter. He needs to do something at 140 or 147 before talking all this crap but I, for one, believe he can back up most of his talk. The talk he can't back up is beating Floyd. I'd love to see him against JMM or Rios at 140 but that won't happen. Maybe he can get the Morales-Garcia winner to give him some cred.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:50 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:
Diego408 wrote:Guerrero is a humble guy, hes just trying to talk himself into a big fight. He doesnt want to face any good competition to get a money fight because it will be too risky because Guerrero isnt that good, a guy like Katsidis gave him a run for his money lol. He wants the Mayweather only to get paid, he knows he has no prayer in actually winning and its the reason why hes being considered by GBP.

Ghost dominated that fight. I agree he hasn't come anywhere close to earning Floyd but he is a good fighter. He needs to do something at 140 or 147 before talking all this crap but I, for one, believe he can back up most of his talk. The talk he can't back up is beating Floyd. I'd love to see him against JMM or Rios at 140 but that won't happen. Maybe he can get the Morales-Garcia winner to give him some cred.
He won by a wide margin, but Kat gave him a very tough fight and showed how hittable Guerrero is. Kats isnt that good by any means. Guerrero is good, but he belongs at 135. Hes still very unprove in his career though. He didn t do much at 126, 130 or even 135 let alone 140. Guerrero always finds himself on the outside looking in. Losing to mexican journeymen, quitting, being matched up with bums for a couple of years, then pulling out of a big fight shouldnt make anyone relevant in this sport. Guerrero needs to work, hes only a name because of his wife struggles with cancer.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Diego408 wrote:He won by a wide margin, but Kat gave him a very tough fight and showed how hittable Guerrero is. Kats isnt that good by any means. Guerrero is good, but he belongs at 135. Hes still very unprove in his career though. He didn t do much at 126, 130 or even 135 let alone 140. Guerrero always finds himself on the outside looking in. Losing to mexican journeymen, quitting, being matched up with bums for a couple of years, then pulling out of a big fight shouldnt make anyone relevant in this sport. Guerrero needs to work, hes only a name because of his wife struggles with cancer.

You are right about 135. He should be there for at least a short time. He won't though. He has a big time promoter and they know all the talent/money is moving up from 135 to 140 and from 140 to 147. Both those divisions are on the move and there are no 130 lbers worth anything moving up. I think STL's own Dannie Williams could even make some noise in the soon to be barren lightweight division.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down