The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rios' hooking up with BALCO Conte

+6
hardcorebee24
Rum Capital
Diego408
dmar5143
powerpuncher
GrantZilla
10 posters

Go down

Rios' hooking up with BALCO Conte Empty Rios' hooking up with BALCO Conte

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Manager Cameron Dunkin told RingTV.com on Monday that he plans to consult with former BALCO founder Victor Conte regarding the recent weight-cutting problems experienced by RING No. 1-rated lightweight Brandon Rios, who lost his WBA belt on the scales but won Saturday night's HBO Pay Per View-televised 11th-round knockout over John Murray before a sellout crowd of 21,239 at Madison Square Garden.

Dunkin said that he will seek counsel for Rios from Conte, who works with Rios' managerial stablemate and RING No. 4-rated pound-for-pound and WBC and WBO bantamweight beltholder Nonito Donaire (27-1, 18 KOs) and other fighters such as RING No. 4-rated welterweight and former IBF and WBC beltholder Andre Berto (28-1, 22 KOs).

"We're going to bring in Victor Conte. I'm going to have him send me a real diet for Brandon. Brandon is a kid who doesn't mind excercise, but he's going to have to train more," said Dunkin of Rios, who earned his fourth straight knockout and his 10th in his past 11 victories since battling to a draw with Manuel Perez in October of 2008.

"There is a balance. Working out doesn't bother Brandon. He would rather go to a workout for four hours so that he can have a hamburger and french fries, and that's okay if he does that. But we're going to balance it and find out what fits for him."

Although Rios will likely rise into the junior welterweight or 140-pound class for the future, Dunkin said he wants to make sure that would be the right move at this time.

"Maybe he can't make 135 anymore, but we're going to keep him away from too much fast food and we're going to have to talk about it," said Dunkin.

"We're going to bring in Victor Conte, and he'll put him on the right foods. We'll talk to Conte, but we're not going to ask Brandon to become what he isn't."

http://tinyurl.com/d8tc2a6

I'm sure Conte will whip up some magic "Vitamin" shake.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Rios' hooking up with BALCO Conte Empty Re: Rios' hooking up with BALCO Conte

Post  powerpuncher Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 pm

hopefully he can help him and not get him into trouble
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm

first rios isnt a 135 pounder.the right foods is not changing that.the right foods should maximize energy and fitness.there are many top nurtitionalists in the world who propably would work for less then conte.when i see contes name it raises my suspition for sure.there are notable resputations of honor in the fitness nutrition field and contes name isnt one of them.
now we hear from rios management1.they didnt know the guy didnt eat for 5 days and had a little water in thoses days only2.they admit they allowed him to eat junk-fast foods etc etc and its ok.
look theres nothing wrong with fries you can buy frozen ones and put them in a oven.its potatoe and a good complex carb.nothing wrong with a burger on occasion also .you can grill it out on a grill or broil it in a oven...either this is a excuse or his team i s3. totaly incompetent including the trainer who monitors that stuff or4. they just dont care or a combo of all 4 reasons.
there in southern california and tons of top knowledgeable nurtionalists that monitor movie stars baseball players and business folks an d they chose conte...
a guy who for years tainted sports folks with his steroids and now the guys making a good buck claiming he wants to clean up boxing and hes the self proclaimed worlds most foremost authority on roids.he now develops snake oil vitamins and you avoid checking out other legit nutritionalists..
if this isnt a 50 foot red flag then nothing is.whats next getting gordan geicko to handle rios finances....
yep they confessed that there incompetent .its disgusting.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:23 pm

The Ring had good article on this recently. Talking about how fighter's should move up, not down.

They brought up how trianing camps use to be where a fighter would polish his skills, but is now a fat camp.

The Roach commented on the issue. And I'll say this about Roach, he is one of the few trainers that push his fighter's to move up to weights they are more comfortable at instead killing themselves making a lower weight. He made Khan and Pac move up.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 am

I knew Brandon didn't keep a good diet, I hope Hardcore reads this, but I guess what Brandon eats is still Garcia's fault ;-)

More world class fighters should hire guys like this. Shit Marquez looked a lot better when he brought that ex-steroid dealer in also.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:50 am

Diego408 wrote:I knew Brandon didn't keep a good diet, I hope Hardcore reads this, but I guess what Brandon eats is still Garcia's fault ;-)

More world class fighters should hire guys like this. Shit Marquez looked a lot better when he brought that ex-steroid dealer in also.
+1
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 am

Diego408 wrote:I knew Brandon didn't keep a good diet, I hope Hardcore reads this, but I guess what Brandon eats is still Garcia's fault ;-)

You dumb fuck, read the article. Cameron Dunkin states that he is knowingly eating burgers and fries during camp. And they thought his constant training would keep the weight off. His managers and trainers knew he was eating poorly and didn't stop him, now theyve had to hire a third party to monitor his diet, meaning making weight is not their strongpoint. Vargas got fat under their watch too.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 am

Hardcore youre a bigger douche bag than Fernando Vargas. Yes trainers do help Fighters lose weight because they are a trainer obviously, but fighters have bad habits and they cant stop all of them. Reason their bringing in Conte to help Rios. Rios is undisiciplined, its simple as that and if Conte cant helo him, it just shows how hard Rios is really taking his profession. Juanma Lopez, Vargas, Rios, Guzman, Castillo, Toney and every fat fuck in the HW division are still not to blame for by not being on the right weight by youre arguement. You are the dumbass buddy not me.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 am

Diego408 wrote:Hardcore youre a bigger douche bag than Fernando Vargas. Yes trainers do help Fighters lose weight because they are a trainer obviously, but fighters have bad habits and they cant stop all of them. Reason their bringing in Conte to help Rios. Rios is undisiciplined, its simple as that and if Conte cant helo him, it just shows how hard Rios is really taking his profession. Juanma Lopez, Vargas, Rios, Guzman, Castillo, Toney and every fat fuck in the HW division are still not to blame for by not being on the right weight by youre arguement. You are the dumbass buddy not me.

Theyre bringing Conte in because this is beyond them. Dummy, he was a half pound over not ten. They didn't weigh him everyday and weren't monitoring him properly. Why I ask is the trainer and manager permitting their fighter, who has trouble making weight, to eat burgers and fries in camp? People hire outside help when they cant do it themselves. Its why boxers have trainers in the first place. So before you ask: Yes, Roach needs Ariza and Beristian needs the steroid guy. Garcia needs help because his stable is growing and Rios isn't getting the attention necessary for a guy like him. If Rios was sneaking burgers into camp or if there was evidence of him lying about his diet I'd blame him but that wasn't the case here. His behavior was known which points to him not being out of control but only doing what his trainers were condoning. Again, if he was dishonest with his team I'd blame him. If he came to camp 185 I'd blame him in this case he didn't. He was trying to make a weight he was advised to make and eating an approved diet and that his team knew about. So in this case I point to his team.

Last edited by hardcorebee24 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 am; edited 2 times in total
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 am

The trainer and promoter are to blame for pushing a fighter to stay at a division they have no business being at.

I have no doubt if Roach was Rios' trainer, he'd been a Jr Welter by now

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 am

he was 136.6. The guy has already ballooned up after making weight in previous fights from 135 to 150 on occasion. He shouldn't be at 135. Plain and simple. There is a reason that 90% of the guys at 135 weigh no more than 143-145 when they get in the ring.

they put a 10 pound limit on the kid. He had to weigh within 10 pounds the next morning of what he weighed in at and he hit that right on the nose. He needs to move up.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I think this is a smart move. Conte's shown his expertise translate well to boxing. Ward, Donaire, and Berto have looked great when he's been a part of the team.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 am

Gumby wrote:I think this is a smart move. Conte's shown his expertise translate well to boxing. Ward, Donaire, and Berto have looked great when he's been a part of the team.

Not Berto, Bumdre cannot be helped
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 am

gomez1012 wrote:
Gumby wrote:I think this is a smart move. Conte's shown his expertise translate well to boxing. Ward, Donaire, and Berto have looked great when he's been a part of the team.

Not Berto, Bumdre cannot be helped
His stamina looked way better in his last fight. He held like 2 times in comparison to 2-3 times per round in all of his other bouts. It didn't help his skills but his stamina and activity level were way up.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 am

Zaveck had a real easy time landing on Berto. Still has 0 defense. I think Ortiz has a great shot at finishing him off early in the rematch
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:08 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Zaveck had a real easy time landing on Berto. Still has 0 defense. I think Ortiz has a great shot at finishing him off early in the rematch
Yeah I thought Berto looked as crappy as ever in his last fight.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down