The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT.

5 posters

Go down

THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT. Empty THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT.

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:26 am

first the margo-cotto fight.cotto was in command all night.margo has taken 3 beatings out of his last 4 fights.cotto executed well margo gets a F in basic funtimentals.he cannot beat a fighter who moves and has a decent punch.under the circumstances the stoppage was correct although it looked like there was confustion there since the hbo link i did not have...the controversy and publicity of margos damage eye etc etc was the main reason for the stopage.if not for that i think margo would of gotten a round or two more in.
margo tosses arm punches no leverage .no true skill in cutting the ring off.hes extremly easy to hit and is slow and particaly co ordinated...his career as a top tier fighter is over.if he wants to continue he has one decent payday left.angulo in mexico or perhaps kirkland maybe.
cotto lives to fight again.147 is not a option..a floyd fight perhaps but remaining with arum as reported is a problem.again kirkland alvarez floyd vanes rodriguez are all options that can be possibly winnable and a final payday or two..
mares proved himself to be a warrior.agbeko also to a lesser degree.a fioght with moreno for either is a option and moreno has talent.mares future is bright.darchinyan is on his way out.he looked sloppy amaturish ineffective .
i saw only the last 3 rounds of the rios fight.his days at 135 is over.rios and company better stop thinking gamboa and look to 140only.the weight drain looked like it hurt him a lot.his intensity or throwing punches with bad intentions was reduced a bit last night as well as his enegry level.at 140 or a little more i think we will see a much better fighter but there are guys there that can potentialy drop him a few times.he will be a exciting mix at 140.
helenius well i hate the word exposed but it fits here.he is what i thought he is .a heavy handed fraud without talent.arm punches.slow plodding.no side movement.at times a slow ploding jab that can be countered with a right.no combinations no hand speed no ring IQ.a big target for a fighter who can execute basic stuff.chrisora beat him with ease.
povetkin is also a joke.he can wait forever he will not be ready for prime time.povetkin vs chrisora id like to see.he better take the wlad payday because hes nothing.deep down atlas knows that.seeing both fighters on the same card makes me think a povetkin-helenuis fight could be in the works.both camps probably are confident thinking the other guys nothing..lol there both right.

Last edited by dmar5143 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT. Empty Re: THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT.

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 am

why is 147 not an option for Cotto?
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT. Empty Re: THOUGHTS ON THE BIG FIGHTS LAST NIGHT.

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 am

captainanddew wrote:why is 147 not an option for Cotto?
.....i see the fight at 154.cotto is a legit 154 pounder now.the other guys like alvarez etc etc are not.i think 147 is a weight that cotto can not make with out hurting himself.floyd is comfortable at both i feel.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 am

dmar5143 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:why is 147 not an option for Cotto?
.....i see the fight at 154.cotto is a legit 154 pounder now.the other guys like alvarez etc etc are not.i think 147 is a weight that cotto can not make with out hurting himself.floyd is comfortable at both i feel.

Cotto's last fight at 147 was contested at 145 against Pac. He made the weight and fought very well until the 2nd knockdown around round 4 or 5 hurt him badly.

I haven't found any interviews where Cotto has said that he moved up to 154 because making 147 was too much(very possible he has stated that and I missed it, or Cotto being Cotto he doesn't talk as much as other guys). I think he moved up because after the Pac fight he wasn't going to get a Floyd fight, Berto wasn't a big name fight at that time, he had already beaten Mosley and Clottey, and by moving up he could grab another trinket.

I'd honestly rather see him face guys like the Berto/Ortiz winner, Floyd, etc... at 147. Just my view. I figure alot would disagree.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am

I just hope Arum doesn't use Cotto as the sacrificial lamb for Chavez Jr. Cotto is a much better fighter than Chavez Jr. but it would be very difficult for a smallish 154 pounder like Cotto to deal with Chavez Jr. who is large for a 160 pounder. Cotto would give away a good 12-15 pounds in the ring when they fight.

At 154, Canelo would make the most sense. It would be a BIG MONEY FIGHT. It would be Puerto Rico vs Mexico again. It would be for the ring belt at 154 as Cotto is 1 and Alvarez is 2.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 am

chavez jr would in reality have a good 22 or more pound weight advantage.cotto is a REAL 154 pounder in my view not a small one.chavez is a REAL 175 pounder in reality and not a large 160.there is no such thing in my thoughts.
yes alvarez-cotto will be a million plus ppv indeed.2 popular fighters and the rivalry as you stated.alvarez fight night has a good 10-12 pound advantage but cottos movement and experience could potentialy prevail.that would be a big fight.a very desireable one also.yep the ring belt is a added plus.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 am

dmar5143 wrote:chavez jr would in reality have a good 22 or more pound weight advantage.cotto is a REAL 154 pounder in my view not a small one.chavez is a REAL 175 pounder in reality and not a large 160.there is no such thing in my thoughts.
yes alvarez-cotto will be a million plus ppv indeed.2 popular fighters and the rivalry as you stated.alvarez fight night has a good 10-12 pound advantage but cottos movement and experience could potentialy prevail.that would be a big fight.a very desireable one also.yep the ring belt is a added plus.

at the post fight presser, Arum already started banging the drum for Cotto vs Chavez. That is the fight he wants. He can keep it all in house. If Cotto wins great. If not, Chavez Jr's name grows. He wants it in Madison Square Garden.

A guy who could fight in the division below where he is campaigning should move up to a higher weight class??? What does Cotto have to gain? If Cotto beats Chavez Jr., what does he gain in terms of reputuation? Nothing. It also does nothing to give the end of his career a smart path.

Arum really is trying to fuck over Cotto. First he supports Margarito without question. Now he'd like to put Cotto in a lose lose situation with Chavez Jr, that is only about Arum making more money and keeping everything in house. Fuck Bob Arum.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:39 pm

captain unfortunetly i did not see that conferense..your right.im in complete agreement that the chavez fight puts cotto in realy a no win thing outside of a payday and yes hes fucking cotto over.arum at times does good things for boxing but he constantly negates any good with his arragance and stuff like this.cotto should take control of whats left of his future time in boxing and the first step is dump arum if possible.
he has no in house fights left for cotto outside of chavez in reality but ill say to bob if i was cotto i want rios then.hes 151 fight night ill be 155 its a fair fight.lets do that bob.nope because ill kick rios ass .i dont know how much time cotto has in his contract with arum but id not renew it..golden boy dibella etc etc can market a very marketable cotto without any problems.golden boy has several possible fights for him.all big ones.if arum insists on chavezcotto should say nope do martinez for the real middle title and arum will not do that.cotto should be in the drivers seat not arum.what kind of management do these fighters of today have for petes sake.hey cotto tell bob i want pac at 150-51 pounds and a 15 million dollar guarentee.put arum in a spot.break his balls.what do you think captain.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:45 pm

dmar5143 wrote:captain unfortunetly i did not see that conferense..your right.im in complete agreement that the chavez fight puts cotto in realy a no win thing outside of a payday and yes hes fucking cotto over.arum at times does good things for boxing but he constantly negates any good with his arragance and stuff like this.cotto should take control of whats left of his future time in boxing and the first step is dump arum if possible.
he has no in house fights left for cotto outside of chavez in reality but ill say to bob if i was cotto i want rios then.hes 151 fight night ill be 155 its a fair fight.lets do that bob.nope because ill kick rios ass .i dont know how much time cotto has in his contract with arum but id not renew it..golden boy dibella etc etc can market a very marketable cotto without any problems.golden boy has several possible fights for him.all big ones.if arum insists on chavezcotto should say nope do martinez for the real middle title and arum will not do that.cotto should be in the drivers seat not arum.what kind of management do these fighters of today have for petes sake.hey cotto tell bob i want pac at 150-51 pounds and a 15 million dollar guarentee.put arum in a spot.break his balls.what do you think captain.

I agree, Cotto should call the shots. And if Arum doesn't like it, I would go to Golden Boy if I was Cotto. Cotto could sign with them and let them know which guys he would like to fight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 pm

captainanddew wrote:
I haven't found any interviews where Cotto has said that he moved up to 154 because making 147 was too much(very possible he has stated that and I missed it, or Cotto being Cotto he doesn't talk as much as other guys). I think he moved up because after the Pac fight he wasn't going to get a Floyd fight, Berto wasn't a big name fight at that time, he had already beaten Mosley and Clottey, and by moving up he could grab another trinket.

I'd honestly rather see him face guys like the Berto/Ortiz winner, Floyd, etc... at 147. Just my view. I figure alot would disagree.
Cotto had trouble making weight at 147 before Pacquiao. I'd say since about the time he fought Judah. That's why I always hated that they made him fight at a catch weight.

Why couldn't Berto/Ortiz move up to face him? Especially Ortiz. He could take a fight at 154 and still have the advantage in size. Plus there are a lot of decent fights at 154. He could always dust off Paul Williams if you're looking for fights that should've happened but never did.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm

I honestly believe the best fight to make is Canelo vs Cotto, and it will be for a lineal belt if it were to happen. Cottos boxing ability and moment will cause Canelo problems, but Cotto fades and it's a big problem. Margarito may of landed a lot of arm punches, but the damage to Cottos face was there and he was visibly fading round by round in the second half of the fight. If that fight went on, Margarito would done more damage, may of lost, but Cotto wouldn't have looked as good. A Chavez Jr fight is foolish as he'll be at about a 15 pound disadvantage after Chavez hydrates and is 5 inches shorter to begin with. Cotto should leave Top Rank, Arum has no more big fights to give him, but to use his name to build up Chavez jr. GBP can get him a lot more.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Cotto should look for Mayweather then ride off into the sunset with a hefty retirement fund.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 pm

My thoughts On Rios is he wouldn't look as dominant at 140 as the competition is a lot better. He was fed a lot of scrub at 135 by Arum. But don't expect him to fight anyone good while at 140. He'll most likely win a paper belt at 140 from what ever Khan Vacates and will move up to fight Pacquiao after. Arum said Rios is a possible opponent for the future. Mares has a bright future, he's technically sound but I think an athletic guy like Moreno and Donaire could really beat him. I think he may fight Moreno next. Mike Jones is just a hard guy to fight, his best bet is to fight a foreign fighter to make his name more relevant. None of the big name welterweights will fight an unknown guy like that. I expect Rodriguez to get a big fight at 154 soon. Agbeko and Vic just blew their chances by losing. Margarito is finished, he won't ever be allowed to fight in the US again because of that eye and his reputation.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Cotto should look for Mayweather then ride off into the sunset with a hefty retirement fund.
It makes the most money and it's the better fight for his health. Mayweather isn't a harder puncher than Canelo and Chavez.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:22 pm

this is what i think about the fights. mares is a great fighter. i think that he will be a p4p guy soon. he has all the tools and has fought great competition in his last couple of fights (probably better than just about any active fighter). moreno also impressed me a lot. maybe vic declining made him look better than he is but he is a solid fighter. agbeko is still a good fighter but mares is better. agbeko is still a top 3 in the weight class. i personally think that he would give donaire problems.

i disagree with what people say about rios. i believe that he will be dominant at 140. i believe that he will carry up everything with him and will be a good and exciting fighter there. margo is done. cotto is about what i thought. he isnt completely done but he definitely isnt in his prime anymore. he is still one of the top fighters at 154 but thats because that weight class is pretty empty now. he isnt elite anymore and will never be again.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down