The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President

5 posters

Go down

Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President Empty Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am

Stephen Espinoza, best known in boxing circles as the longtime lead attorney for Golden Boy Promotions, has been hired as executive vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports, the network announced Monday.

Taking the job means Espinoza will become one of the most powerful people in boxing as he will decide which fights Showtime will buy. Espinoza will oversee an annual boxing budget in the $20 million neighborhood.

"Stephen has had a great career that spans sports, entertainment, television and film," Showtime CEO Matt Blank said in a statement. "His deep experience in a variety of fields and incredible knowledge and contacts within the boxing and mixed martial arts communities will be an asset to Showtime as we continue to expand our offerings. I am confident that he will be a great leader to our already all-star sports group."

Given Espinoza's close association with Golden Boy and his intimate knowledge of its contracts and business strategy, some in boxing believe the hiring will give the promotional company an unfair edge at Showtime. Golden Boy's output deal with HBO expires at the end of the year.

"Absolutely that's what it means," said Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, the chief rival of Golden Boy. "Golden Boy is going to move their product over to Showtime. Fine. Better than fine."

"This move with Espinoza didn't happen by accident," Arum said. "It sends a signal. Everyone will be on a side. Everyone is taking sides. I'm happy with it. I think it's fascinating. It's another dynamic."

Schaefer denied that Golden Boy would receive special treatment at Showtime.

"I'm in the business of putting together great fights and there are two buyers. One is Showtime and one is HBO," he said. "I have a very good relationship with Stephen but I have a very good relationship with HBO and Ken Hershman as well. People can say whatever they want."

Before joining Showtime, Espinoza, who will relocate to New York, was a partner in Los Angeles law firm Ziffren Brittenham LLP, where he oversaw the Golden Boy account. He handled the company's contracts and was a regular on site for Golden Boy's major events, often seen lugging around a big binder with all of the pertinent paperwork related to the fight. He also represented Mike Tyson.

http://tinyurl.com/bpappma

I can see headline sometime next year, "Showtime gives Golden Boy Out-Put Deal until 2035"
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President Empty Re: Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President

Post  Diego408 Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:05 am

Looks like Top Rank just lost some lust with Showtime.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President Empty Re: Stephen Espinoza will be Showtime's new Sports President

Post  SlickMoney Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:15 am

Why would u hire this guy with his GBP ties?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 am

SlickMoney wrote: Why would u hire this guy with his GBP ties?

Showtime is going into the Golden Boy business. Similar to when they went into the Don King business. Andyou could say during Hershman's time the Gary Shaw business.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 am

there is a high likelihood this ends badly for boxing fans and good for Golden Boy.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 am

Q: Why was Stephen Espinoza, new head of Showtime, still representing Bernard Hopkins before the CSAC?

Dan Rafael:He wasnt repping him. He was there to lend help if needed because he was the GB attorney who did all the reports and such to the commission and handled the case until he left for Showtime. But as a lawyer he has had a few loose ends and this was one of them. He went with Showtime's permission and knowledge. I spoke to him about it. He knows it looks bad but it is what it is. It had been his case and he was seeing it through. In the end, he didn't speak and was there basically as an observer.

So the new head of Showtime was still representing GB and Hopkins! Jesus! So long Showtime boxing
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 am

Showtime's Espinoza shares network's vision for boxing

Espinoza discussed his views on topics ranging from pay-per-view events to the the various media platforms at Showtime's disposal for boxing. (The network plans to promote Ortiz-Berto II with elements usually reserved for pay- per-view events, including spots on the CBS network.)

"The excitement that this fight is generating actually reverberates around our company," said Espinoza. "The support that this fight will get includes the support of our parent company, CBS, and all of its platforms -- the network, CBS interactive, and all of the various channels of both CBS and Showtime. We will throw our full support behind this fight because it deserves it."

On Pay Per View:

"I think that unfortunately, for a variety of factors, pay per view has, in some situations, become an unfortunate crutch for the sport. It's something that I think all of us -- promoters, fighters and the networks -- need to be weaned off of in terms of using that as a crutch.

"There are events that sort of demand that financial structure. I think that where we start to get some push back from the consumer is when we're using pay per view as a sort of crutch because there's not a license fee in the budget at that particular time of the year.

http://tinyurl.com/82td8k8

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:42 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Showtime's Espinoza shares network's vision for boxing

Espinoza discussed his views on topics ranging from pay-per-view events to the the various media platforms at Showtime's disposal for boxing. (The network plans to promote Ortiz-Berto II with elements usually reserved for pay- per-view events, including spots on the CBS network.)

"The excitement that this fight is generating actually reverberates around our company," said Espinoza. "The support that this fight will get includes the support of our parent company, CBS, and all of its platforms -- the network, CBS interactive, and all of the various channels of both CBS and Showtime. We will throw our full support behind this fight because it deserves it."

On Pay Per View:

"I think that unfortunately, for a variety of factors, pay per view has, in some situations, become an unfortunate crutch for the sport. It's something that I think all of us -- promoters, fighters and the networks -- need to be weaned off of in terms of using that as a crutch.

"There are events that sort of demand that financial structure. I think that where we start to get some push back from the consumer is when we're using pay per view as a sort of crutch because there's not a license fee in the budget at that particular time of the year.

http://tinyurl.com/82td8k8

He's talking sense so far, still early days though.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 pm

As long as Showtime makes GBP make quality fights, they should be fine.

Berto vs Ortiz II is a good start
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:04 pm

gomez1012 wrote:As long as Showtime makes GBP make quality fights, they should be fine.

Berto vs Ortiz II is a good start

depends on what they paid for it.

Same for PW vs Ishida. I'm sure PW got overpaid.

Pay the fighters that people want to see, not overpay the Haymon guys.

20 million budget is good. If showtime starts going stupid like HBO did and paying guys like Berto a million to face guys with little chance of winning, then it will be gone quickly.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 am

captainanddew wrote:20 million budget is good. If showtime starts going stupid like HBO did and paying guys like Berto a million to face guys with little chance of winning, then it will be gone quickly.

Showtime benifited from having a smaller budget than HBO and everyone in the business knowing it. So they could bid low for fights and promoters and fighters will take it if HBO doesn't want the fight.

That was how Hershman worked it. Stupid to get into a bidding war with HBO. You'll just blow your smaller budget.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Williams vs Ishida & Cloud vs Campillo is a solid double header

No complaints from me
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down