The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just watched the entire Floyd fight.

+3
nano212
captainanddew
Soonermark890
7 posters

Go down

I just watched the entire Floyd fight. Empty I just watched the entire Floyd fight.

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

I noticed one thing. Where was the Floyd defense that we are used to? Did anyone notice that he was hit flush a few times by Ortiz? I am not suggesting anything its just something I noticed while watching it. Do you think that Mayweather just knew the kid couldnt beat him and he just decided to try to go for the KO and gave up some of that great defense? I noticed that Floyd was throwing much harder shots in this fight than he has done in his most recent fights.

Also the myth that the knockout was legal is complete bullshit. Cortez fucked up massively.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I just watched the entire Floyd fight. Empty Re: I just watched the entire Floyd fight.

Post  captainanddew Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:I noticed one thing. Where was the Floyd defense that we are used to? Did anyone notice that he was hit flush a few times by Ortiz? I am not suggesting anything its just something I noticed while watching it. Do you think that Mayweather just knew the kid couldnt beat him and he just decided to try to go for the KO and gave up some of that great defense? I noticed that Floyd was throwing much harder shots in this fight than he has done in his most recent fights.

Also the myth that the knockout was legal is complete bullshit. Cortez fucked up massively.

Floyd's legs are not what they were 3-4 years ago (to be expected). He isn't looking to just sit back and counter. He tries to lead with the right hand and check hook quite a bit. I think he will do more of this in his final fights before he retires (for good).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

I just watched the entire Floyd fight. Empty Re: I just watched the entire Floyd fight.

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:44 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:I noticed one thing. Where was the Floyd defense that we are used to? Did anyone notice that he was hit flush a few times by Ortiz? I am not suggesting anything its just something I noticed while watching it. Do you think that Mayweather just knew the kid couldnt beat him and he just decided to try to go for the KO and gave up some of that great defense? I noticed that Floyd was throwing much harder shots in this fight than he has done in his most recent fights.

Floyd's legs are not what they were 3-4 years ago (to be expected). He isn't looking to just sit back and counter. He tries to lead with the right hand and check hook quite a bit. I think he will do more of this in his final fights before he retires (for good).
Million dollar question how does a Floyd with sub-par legs beat Pac? Pac's chin is great, his legs are fast, he has great power and his hands are damn fast. I am just saying Floyd would have to work his ass off to win rounds against Pac he cant just sit back and not move.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Million dollar question how does a Floyd with sub-par legs beat Pac? Pac's chin is great, his legs are fast, he has great power and his hands are damn fast. I am just saying Floyd would have to work his ass off to win rounds against Pac he cant just sit back and not move.

when I say not what they were 3-4 years ago, it doesn't mean his legs are gone. It is just that his legs were unbelievably good.

It isn't as if Pac hasn't begun to slide as well. Pac cramped up against Mosley. Pac lunged alot against Mosley (which he hadn't been doing very much for the last 3-4 years).

I said about a year ago when we finally get this fight(if we ever do), neither man was going to be at their absolute peak. I stick by that statement.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 pm

He walked Ortiz down this fight, just like he did in the second half of the SSM fight. He promised he would be fighting this style of fights from now on during the Faceoff with Max. I guarantee you he will not fight Pac in this style cuz it would mean a KO loss he will use his reach and make it a boring technical fight and beat PAC pretty easy!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:54 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think the MW - Ortiz fight was rigged. I think we talked about the other factors already, however I think we missed something. If Mayweather went to punch Ortiz, wouldn't the natural reaction be to cover up? You can jump at a person who never took self defense classes of any kind, yet they will have a natural reflex reaction to try and block or duck a punch out of nowhere. Ortiz just stood there and got hit as if he was in a trance.

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 am

Frank wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I think the MW - Ortiz fight was rigged. I think we talked about the other factors already, however I think we missed something. If Mayweather went to punch Ortiz, wouldn't the natural reaction be to cover up? You can jump at a peson who never took self defense classes of any kind, yet they will have a natural reflex reaction to try and block or duck a punch out of nowhere. Ortiz just stood there and got hit as if he was in a trance.

I thought that too but Ortiz has about 7 brain cells left and I am not sure they react that fast.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:35 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

I'm not so sure Mayweather's legs are "sub-par", I thought he wanted to KO Ortiz and make a statement, that's why he was trading with him more and getting hit more often than he usually does.

I still think Pacquiao would have a great shot at beating Floyd, but Pac would have the same problem nearly all Mayweather's opponents have, penetrating his "Michigan Defense".

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 am

Ring wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

I'm not so sure Mayweather's legs are "sub-par", I thought he wanted to KO Ortiz and make a statement, that's why he was trading with him more and getting hit more often than he usually does.

I still think Pacquiao would have a great shot at beating Floyd, but Pac would have the same problem nearly all Mayweather's opponents have, penetrating his "Michigan Defense".
See I dont think Pac would have to penetrate it. All pac has to do in that fight is do what he does in every fight. Out work him. Floyd does not throw tons of punches and he doesnt throw tons of combinations. Just do what Oscar did the first 5 rounds. Use the jab and throw a lot of punches. Thats why I would pick Pac. He would take FLoyd out of his comfort zone.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:06 pm

See I dont think Pac would have to penetrate it. All pac has to do in that fight is do what he does in every fight. Out work him. Floyd does not throw tons of punches and he doesnt throw tons of combinations. Just do what Oscar did the first 5 rounds. Use the jab and throw a lot of punches. Thats why I would pick Pac. He would take FLoyd out of his comfort zone.

Oh, I like Pac's chances of beating Floyd, Pac's hand-speed and work-rate are second to none, just saying Mayweather can neutralize his opponent's offense and control/dominate a fight with his defense, so it will be interesting to see how this fight plays out. (if it ever happens)

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:17 am

Floyd had absolutely no respect for Ortiz. He threw right hand leads like they were his bread & butter the whole fight. Ortiz's flurries were of no consequence as Floyd slipped most. Maybe Ortiz landed a few, but Floyd was in complete control from the get go. God, I hate having to admit this.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:26 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Ring wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

the difference is that de la hoya had a great jab that worked. i think that pacs style is all wrong for mayweather. i know that pac is fast, but his type of speed isnt the type of speed that gives mayweather problems. a fighter like zab who has a lightning quick punch is the problem. pac's defense just isnt good enough. pac would get tagged a few times and walk through the punches until the mid rounds and then he would start thinking twice before jumping in.

ive said this since floyd came back and fought JMM, pac's lack of defense is the main reason why i think that he will lose the fight. his offense is great, but i guarantee that mayweather will land more punches and maybe even the more meaningful ones.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Frank wrote:If Mayweather went to punch Ortiz, wouldn't the natural reaction be to cover up? You can jump at a person who never took self defense classes of any kind, yet they will have a natural reflex reaction to try and block or duck a punch out of nowhere. Ortiz just stood there and got hit as if he was in a trance.
It happened much quicker in real time than it looked on replays. Ortiz had less than a second to react and wasn't in an alert state when he took the shot.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm

powerpuncher wrote:the difference is that de la hoya had a great jab that worked. i think that pacs style is all wrong for mayweather. i know that pac is fast, but his type of speed isnt the type of speed that gives mayweather problems. a fighter like zab who has a lightning quick punch is the problem. pac's defense just isnt good enough. pac would get tagged a few times and walk through the punches until the mid rounds and then he would start thinking twice before jumping in.
I really don't know how De La Hoya managed to convince people that his jab worked in that fight. He got out-jabbed by Mayweather from the get go. His jab was only worthwhile because it set up a sweeping hook that Floyd had trouble with (the same shots Ortiz was able to land). Pacquiao can land those shots with power and follow them up. His style is much better to beat Mayweather. His defense doesn't have to be perfect because he can eat enough punches to get in range to do damage, and the thing that is very clear now is that Mayweather's legs aren't good enough to fight Pac at distance. Pac will be able to get in and out against Mayweather with his footwork. I still think Mayweather's best bet would be to smother Pacquiao because he doesn't fight well inside and eats uppercuts. However, I think Mayweather will have to adjust to Pacquiao and not the other way around.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down