The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight

+4
hardcorebee24
Diego408
gomez1012
jz_hova
8 posters

Go down

should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight Empty should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm

If Cortez only gave the hand signal and he was at ortiz back then how can ortiz know to fight on?

http://www.boxingscene.com/cortez-admits-he-never-told-floyd-ortiz-fight--44029
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight Empty Re: should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight

Post  gomez1012 Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Cortez also bet Flod by KO in the 4th Laughing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight Empty Re: should fight be changed to no contest? Cortez Admits never told Ortiz to fight

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:07 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Cortez also bet Flod by KO in the 4th Laughing

LOL
so did 50 cent, Zab Judah, Ortiz and Roger Mayweather
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:44 pm

probably

Ms Jackson going to get her pay docked after revealing this
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm

gomez1012 wrote:probably

Ms Jackson going to get her pay docked after revealing this

Ms Jackass about to get the josie harris treatment
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

saying Hike or box are the same thing to get things going in a fight or a football game.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Diego408 wrote:saying Hike or box are the same thing to get things going in a fight or a football game.

If you hike the ball without the ref spotting the ball and blowing his whistle does the play count?
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

jz_hova wrote:
Diego408 wrote:saying Hike or box are the same thing to get things going in a fight or a football game.

If you hike the ball without the ref spotting the ball and blowing his whistle does the play count?
nope and thats my complaint in all this. Cortez didnt make it clear to begin fighting. I have a strong feeling if the roles were reversed Ortiz would have lossed another fight by DQ.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Diego408 wrote:
jz_hova wrote:

nope and thats my complaint in all this. Cortez didnt make it clear to begin fighting. I have a strong feeling if the roles were reversed Ortiz would have lossed another fight by DQ.

exactly but he was on que to pick up the count once Ortiz was sucker punched
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Diego408 wrote:nope and thats my complaint in all this. Cortez didnt make it clear to begin fighting. I have a strong feeling if the roles were reversed Ortiz would have lossed another fight by DQ.

Probably especially when you look at Cortez history

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm

jz_hova wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
jz_hova wrote:

exactly but he was on que to pick up the count once Ortiz was sucker punched
becuase Cortez is a pro-Mayweather ref. Reason he got the gig last Saturday night.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 pm

What do they do when a Russian is fighting a Mexican? Say it in two languages? No, they signal. That of course wasn't the case in this fight but he did signal for them to fight.

From the actual LA Times Article:
Cortez guided the fighters to the center of the ring and then made the hand signal, long used and distinguished in boxing, as meaning "time to box." Cortez agreed in an interview Tuesday that the signal is exactly like a baseball umpire calling a player safe.

I made the signal," he said. "You don't have to say anything. These guys know the rules.

Cheap Shot: Yes
Illegal: No
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:What do they do when a Russian is fighting a Mexican? Say it in two languages? No, they signal. That of course wasn't the case in this fight but he did signal for them to fight.

Cortez guided the fighters to the center of the ring and then made the hand signal, long used and distinguished in boxing, as meaning "time to box." Cortez agreed in an interview Tuesday that the signal is exactly like a baseball umpire calling a player safe.

I made the signal," he said. "You don't have to say anything. These guys know the rules.

The only problem with the "hand signal" is that Ortiz was hugging Flod (with his back turned) when the signal was made and Cortez was looking at the timekeeper
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:55 pm

jz_hova wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:What do they do when a Russian is fighting a Mexican? Say it in two languages? No, they signal. That of course wasn't the case in this fight but he did signal for them to fight.

The only problem with the "hand signal" is that Ortiz was hugging Flod (with his back turned) when the signal was made and Cortez was looking at the timekeeper

So should Cortez have tapped him on the shoulder and said "Stop kissing 50's man and fight." In sports if you're on the playing field (in this case a boxing ring) you should be ready to play. Ortiz was out of position and not ready against a guy with no scruples and paid dearly for it. As bad as Cortez is/was it doesn't deem an overruling or a change to a no contest.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 pm

If Ortiz legitimately didn't see the signal I think the fight should be a no contest. I'll definitely check this out closely when I watch the replay. Given Floyd's clout in the sport and Ortiz's "whatever brah" attitude I doubt anything changes regardless.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Gumby wrote:If Ortiz legitimately didn't see the signal I think the fight should be a no contest. I'll definitely check this out closely when I watch the replay. Given Floyd's clout in the sport and Ortiz's "whatever brah" attitude I doubt anything changes regardless.

I said on Saturday night that Ortiz didn't seem to know the fight was back on.

It was confusing to me watching it live very intently.

We all know Cortez botched things up.

I don't have a problem with Floyd hitting his ass.

I have a problem with Floyd duping him. Floyd pretends to be accepting the apology. He intentionally lured Ortiz in and tried like all hell to make him feel safe so that Ortiz didn't put up his guard.

There is alot of fighters that would have motioned to Ortiz to get the fuck away and lets fight. Or just would have taken a fighting stance and prepared to and/or hit his ass.

But I can't think of many fighters who would go out of their way to dupe a guy.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:37 am

captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:If Ortiz legitimately didn't see the signal I think the fight should be a no contest. I'll definitely check this out closely when I watch the replay. Given Floyd's clout in the sport and Ortiz's "whatever brah" attitude I doubt anything changes regardless.

I said on Saturday night that Ortiz didn't seem to know the fight was back on.

It was confusing to me watching it live very intently.

We all know Cortez botched things up.

I don't have a problem with Floyd hitting his ass.

I have a problem with Floyd duping him. Floyd pretends to be accepting the apology. He intentionally lured Ortiz in and tried like all hell to make him feel safe so that Ortiz didn't put up his guard.

There is alot of fighters that would have motioned to Ortiz to get the fuck away and lets fight. Or just would have taken a fighting stance and prepared to and/or hit his ass.

But I can't think of many fighters who would go out of their way to dupe a guy.

Read what Khan says:
If that was anyone else they would have been disqualified. They let him off because he is Floyd mayweather.

http://www.boxingscene.com/khan-mayweathers-name-value-helped-secure-ko-win--44054

I am not saying give Fod a loss, but make the fight a no contest and make them fight again
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 am

To me this is pretty simple. You get in the ring you know what can happen. Last thing you get as an instruction is "protect yourself at all times". It might have been a cheap shot, but it wasn't illegal and Ortiz has to take responsbility for not protecting himself as he should know to do. End of story.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 pm

I will post a link to the last minute of the fight if yall want? I have the fight on my Dvr and can record it and up load the ending of the fight. Ortiz was not strong mentally and paid for it.
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down