The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off?

+5
Shaun
GonzaJoey
GrantZilla
dmar5143
nano212
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off? Empty Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off?

Post  nano212 Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 am

nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off? Empty Re: Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off?

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:37 am

wow again a possible postponement or cancellation of a fight.i hope this year doesnt repeat last years.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 am

Andre Berto To Have Surgery, Ortiz Rematch is Now Off

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Andre Berto (28-1, 22KOs) suffered a left arm injury on Monday while training at the Ten Goose Gym in Van Nuys, California. Berto was preparing for his scheduled welterweight rematch with fellow former champion Victor Ortiz(29-3-2, 22KOs).

Victor Conte, the strength and conditioning coach for Berto, advised BoxingScene.com that his fighter ruptured his left bicep during a sparring session. Berto had previously injured the same bicep during his eight round stoppage of Carlos Quintana on April 10, 2010. After suffering the injury on Monday, Berto was taken to the hospital where an MRI was taken and the injury was confirmed. Berto will have to undergo surgery, and it may take place as early as Tuesday.

"Andre ruptured the same left bicep that he had surgery on previously. It's my understanding that he hurt it throwing a short left hook to the head during sparring. Andre is having surgery and I was told that the fight is definitely off," Conte told BoxingScene.com.

Berto-Ortiz was going to take place on February 11th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Showtime was going to televise the bout with junior middleweights Erislandy Lara and Ronald Hearns as the opener.

Golden Boy Promotions and DiBella Entertainment will obviously look to reschedule this fight, but the new date is going to depend on the amount of time needed for Berto's recovery.

http://tinyurl.com/89k2eqt
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzaJoey Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 am

Tweeter-Ortiz II in May 5.
Fake injury step-aside money all over again ?
GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:14 am

GonzaJoey wrote:Tweeter-Ortiz II in May 5.
Fake injury step-aside money all over again ?

No reason to beleive it's a fake injury. This wasn't some manditory fight for either fighter. It was the best fight for both to get on HBO and make money. Not like either one has any better options.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:58 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-berto-surgery-ortiz-rematch-now-off--49098

Yep, fight is definitely off.

Good news: There are fights to be made out there
Bad news: They are all Jr. Welterweights.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ortiz fight Peterson, Bradley, Khan, Matthysse, Alvarado, or Morales.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:30 am

Ruptured bicep = Conte's special mix.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

I would have to think that Ortiz/Mayweather 2 is now a strong possibility. Ortiz comes cheap. Floyd can dictate all the terms, and there is an obvious angle to promote.

...Cotto would be the prefferable option, but is a harder fight to make.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 am

Canvas wrote:I would have to think that Ortiz/Mayweather 2 is now a strong possibility. Ortiz comes cheap. Floyd can dictate all the terms, and there is an obvious angle to promote.

...Cotto would be the prefferable option, but is a harder fight to make.

I doubt it, Floyd's has no need for a rematch, it's not like Ortiz pushed him to the brink like Castillo, or that Victor has a huge checkbook like Oscar.

It'll be Cotto or Canelo on May 5th.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am

While we all know Cotto is the most intriguing fight for felony Floyd, it kind of makes sense to have an opponent with Mexican heritage for May 05.

also,

Cotto made 7 million dollars in his last fight and would rightfully expect more to fight Floyd. Cotto is a draw on his own. Is Floyd going to want to cut Cotto in on the PPV buys? I doubt it.

Alvarez makes alot of sense in that he brings a rabid fanbase, would be relatively cheap, and would not represent too much of a risk to Floyd. We know Floyd likes avoiding risk as much as possible.

I still think in the eyes of the general public the Ortiz fight ended controversially, and the rematch would be very easy to promote.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:12 pm

Don't rule out Morales, I wouldn't be shocked if Floyd wound up facing him either.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

I was expecting the winner of this fight to face Floyd on May 5 so I'm sure Berto and Ortiz were aware of this and neither would pull out unless it was a real injury sidelining one of them and I think this is the case. The big fight schedule is looking like this:
Pacquiao vs Bradley
Mayweather vs Cotto or Canelo
Marquez vs Peterson
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

This sucks balls. I really could see Floyd fighting Ortiz again it sounds like his MO.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:This sucks balls. I really could see Floyd fighting Ortiz again it sounds like his MO.

A rematch would get too much backlash and hurt PPV sales. That's all Money cares about.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:This sucks balls. I really could see Floyd fighting Ortiz again it sounds like his MO.

A rematch would get too much backlash and hurt PPV sales. That's all Money cares about.
I dont get why any matchup besides Pac wouldnt get backlash. Why fight Cotto? Pac already beat the hell out of him. Canelo is too young and inexperienced. So really who else? This rematch would do very well. The controversy alone would get attention for this fight and even us hardcore fans still wonder if Ortiz had any more than what we saw.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:A rematch would get too much backlash and hurt PPV sales. That's all Money cares about.
I dont get why any matchup besides Pac wouldnt get backlash. Why fight Cotto? Pac already beat the hell out of him. Canelo is too young and inexperienced. So really who else? This rematch would do very well. The controversy alone would get attention for this fight and even us hardcore fans still wonder if Ortiz had any more than what we saw.[/quote]

Because we haven't seen Mayweather fight Cotto yet and Floyd would be fighting at a higher weight. We've seen him fight Ortiz and he won every round. Ortiz had to go for the headbutt out of frustration.

Any hardcore fan with brains knows Mayweather would dominate Ortiz for a boring UD win, or Ortiz would quit. Ortiz hasn't done anything to prove otherwise.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:A rematch would get too much backlash and hurt PPV sales. That's all Money cares about.
I dont get why any matchup besides Pac wouldnt get backlash. Why fight Cotto? Pac already beat the hell out of him. Canelo is too young and inexperienced. So really who else? This rematch would do very well. The controversy alone would get attention for this fight and even us hardcore fans still wonder if Ortiz had any more than what we saw.

Because we haven't seen Mayweather fight Cotto yet and Floyd would be fighting at a higher weight. We've seen him fight Ortiz and he won every round. Ortiz had to go for the headbutt out of frustration.

Any hardcore fan with brains knows Mayweather would dominate Ortiz for a boring UD win, or Ortiz would quit. Ortiz hasn't done anything to prove otherwise.

[/quote]

I agree PBF will fight either Cotto about a 30% chance it happens or Canelo a 70% chance it happens! Ortiz was wilting under the stress of have no idea how to deal with Floyd's speed and lead right hands. Fucken Floyd was walking him down for christ sake I do not want to see Ortiz vs PBF again!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 am

Berto hurt arm, Ortiz fight off? Bert510

Looks really bad. You can see right where the bicep connects to the deltoid a big ass knot.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 am

He OD'd on Conte PEDs
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 am

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said, “It looks like he will require surgery,” though Berto got a second opinion Tuesday. Whether the fight will be rescheduled, he said, depends on Berto’s recovery time.

“There are injury provisions in the contract and if he would be ready to go in a reasonable time period, we would see if we could zoom in on a date in an attempt to reschedule it,” Schaefer said. “But if the injury was more extensive than we thought, or if the surgery is more complicated and he’d be out an extended period of time, we’d have to go in a different direction.”

Schaefer said, “Khan-Victor would be a great fight, for sure,” but he would not speak specifically of his plans because of concerns about Top Rank CEO Bob Arum attempting to scuttle them.

“I don’t believe in discussing who I’m negotiating or who I’m talking to or who I’m not in the media because, unfortunately, the knucklehead in Las Vegas is trying to screw everything up,” Schaefer said. “You know who I’m talking about [Arum]. I’ll refrain from making any comments until I have signed contracts and something firm to announce.”

http://tinyurl.com/7mkwnoc
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 am

ive seen torn biceps that were awfull.berto im guessing will be laid up 3 months which may mean 6 months untill he fights again.a shame because that fight no doubt would of been action ...again arum-golden boy flack is realy a thing that resembles the sunnis and the shites toss in the kurds also.kahn -ortiz is a fantastic matchup .its a shame that simple negotiations cannot be gotten because of bullshit.peace treaties have been negotiated in less time then a simple fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

Schaefer is an idiot, quit worrying about Top Rank and handle your business
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Damn shame. Twice on the same arm? It'll will never be close to the same. I wouldn't mind seeing Ortiz against anyone at 147. Pac, Marquez, Khan, Peterson, Bradley...all of those fights look good.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Gumby wrote:Damn shame. Twice on the same arm? It'll will never be close to the same. I wouldn't mind seeing Ortiz against anyone at 147. Pac, Marquez, Khan, Peterson, Bradley...all of those fights look good.

Khan or Maidana seem likely.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Khan-Ortiz would be a great fight
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next