The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very bad night for boxing...

+11
Soonermark890
Shaun
gomez1012
BoxingGenius
SlickMoney
Gumby
dbudge
jz_hova
kbyte
GrantZilla
hardcorebee24
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Very bad night for boxing... - Page 2 Empty Re: Very bad night for boxing...

Post  captainanddew Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 pm

GrantZilla wrote:It was a circus, but people are talking about the fight. And that's far better than having Pac-Mosley, or Wlad-Haye.

Those were a black eye for boxing.

If Pac vs marquez PPV (which is only a few months away) goes well and entertains then it will have been a successful end to the boxing PPV year.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm

captainanddew wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:It was a circus, but people are talking about the fight. And that's far better than having Pac-Mosley, or Wlad-Haye.

Those were a black eye for boxing.

If Pac vs marquez PPV (which is only a few months away) goes well and entertains then it will have been a successful end to the boxing PPV year.

There are 2 keys for the Pac PPV: Pac killer instinct and Bob giving a good undercard. I think Pac has heard JMM talk enough as well as he will be fighting a smaller guy for the first time in awhile. Rios is a can't miss but it would be good to put him against a guy with a chin. I know Bob is a smarter promoter than I am but I seriously doubt putting 2 bangers in there would be too expensive. Do that or a can't miss prospect in a step up fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:58 pm

The gomez stopping was fine by me. Dude would have gotten killed if the ref didnt stop it. Canelo toyed with him and then unleashed the fury.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:37 am

All I been hearing on FOX sports and ESPN radio has been the Floyd fight. That's all everybody was talking about.

So yeah, it was not a bad night for boxing. A bad night of boxing would've been another boring 12-round decision win.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 am

Two of the 4 fights where ok

Morales reorganization of Cano's face was great & Vargas-Lopez was a nice back and forth

Canelo looked horrible vs Gomez and was bored watching him do nothing, I was fine with the stoppage as Fonso looked to be out on his feet

The main event was just bad all the way around, instead of a great fight that was developing we get fucking nonsense as usual...

Wlad vs Haye doing nothing
Mares-Agbeko fucking low blow disaster and Rusell Mora
Pac vs Mosley touching gloves all fight and Nosley running around the ring...

Last edited by gomez1012 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
A fourth round KO on a cheap shot and an early stoppage were great?

Victor Ortiz went backwards. He fouled when he got frustrated and then abandoned the oldest adage in the sport and got KO'd for it.

Floyd went backwards because he KO'd a guy when his hands were down.

Canelo didn't erase any questions or doubts and beat another smaller faded fighter.

Morales is old and beat an unranked nobody.

If this was on FNF I wouldn't be so critical. This was the biggest fight of the year and wound up a circus.

+1
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

I disagree, Cortez didnt say box or even try to set the clock back up again. Ortiz was waiting on that instruction to continue and Floyd punched him, so Cortez just decided to count on punches he didnt see. He did a horrible job, he was also suppose to but the fighters on a nuetrual coner and ask Floyd if he was recovered from the intentional headbutt. Officiating at its worst.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Mayweather's villain act is a tonic for boxing

In truth, the man who calls himself “Money” couldn’t have drawn up a better conclusion.

“Nothing wrong with some controversy,” he told Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole.

Mayweather has built his pay-per-view appeal on being the "What me?" villain of sports. This was the ideal buzz-worthy conclusion to what was on the way to being a lopsided victory.

Mayweather (42-0) is a light-punching, defensive-style welterweight (at most) who has managed to turn himself into boxing’s biggest pay-per-view draw. He’s done it not just with unbeatable ability, but also outrageous antics, course comments and a series of well-planned publicity stunts designed to make many despise him.

http://tinyurl.com/3u96ua3
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/9/21/2440068/mayweather-vs-ortiz-bob-arum-ortiz-wanted-out-mental-weakness-knockout-headbutt

So obviously Arum isn't exactly wild about Ortiz either, and has said before that he felt Ortiz was a mentally weak fighter. And I think it goes without saying that Arum is, in fact, right to dislike Ortiz. He invested crazy jack into him and got jammed, which made him bent.

Arum also says that an investor was set to put money "into boxing" (whatever he means by that, because it could be anything), but after the horrible Mayweather vs Ortiz fight, that's no longer the case:

"I was having a meeting [Tuesday], and I’m not going to name the company, but with a major, major sponsor that was ready to put a million dollars into boxing ... They don’t want to touch boxing after what they saw on Saturday."

Cant blame them, instead of a sporting event you get the circus like Hardcore said...

And fucking Floyd wonders why he cant get any sponsors
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 pm

gomez1012 wrote:http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/9/21/2440068/mayweather-vs-ortiz-bob-arum-ortiz-wanted-out-mental-weakness-knockout-headbutt

So obviously Arum isn't exactly wild about Ortiz either, and has said before that he felt Ortiz was a mentally weak fighter. And I think it goes without saying that Arum is, in fact, right to dislike Ortiz. He invested crazy jack into him and got jammed, which made him bent.

Arum also says that an investor was set to put money "into boxing" (whatever he means by that, because it could be anything), but after the horrible Mayweather vs Ortiz fight, that's no longer the case:

"I was having a meeting [Tuesday], and I’m not going to name the company, but with a major, major sponsor that was ready to put a million dollars into boxing ... They don’t want to touch boxing after what they saw on Saturday."

Cant blame them, instead of a sporting event you get the circus like Hardcore said...

Floyd doesnt need sponsors, so I doubt he really cares, but yes things like this scare sponsors away. Ortiz is weak minded, I agree. I do believe he had what it took to get up, but just decided to stay down because it was just purely embarrassing.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Like Arum has room to talk. Matching Pac up with a totaly shot Mosley, and getting a far more embarrassing fight for boxing out of it.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Diego408 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/9/21/2440068/mayweather-vs-ortiz-bob-arum-ortiz-wanted-out-mental-weakness-knockout-headbutt

Floyd doesnt need sponsors, so I doubt he really cares, but yes things like this scare sponsors away. Ortiz is weak minded, I agree. I do believe he had what it took to get up, but just decided to stay down because it was just purely embarrassing.

Floyd doesn't but boxing could use some.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:48 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Like Arum has room to talk. Matching Pac up with a totaly shot Mosley, and getting a far more embarrassing fight for boxing out of it.

And an HP deal amongst other things. Pac Mosley was a terrible terrible match up, it didn't end in controversy and make a mockery out of the sport. It was a fair contest that showed one man shot and the other in his prime, it was a terrible match up that should have never been made, but this is getting 20 times the negative press.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:And an HP deal amongst other things. Pac Mosley was a terrible terrible match up, it didn't end in controversy and make a mockery out of the sport. It was a fair contest that showed one man shot and the other in his prime, it was a terrible match up that should have never been made, but this is getting 20 times the negative press.

I don't know about that. That fight got a lot of bad press. A boring, 12-round decision where both guys touched gloves more than they threw punches is far worse for boxing.

The media is doing what the media always does. Blowing shit out of proportion.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:57 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:And an HP deal amongst other things. Pac Mosley was a terrible terrible match up, it didn't end in controversy and make a mockery out of the sport. It was a fair contest that showed one man shot and the other in his prime, it was a terrible match up that should have never been made, but this is getting 20 times the negative press.

I don't know about that. That fight got a lot of bad press. A boring, 12-round decision where both guys touched gloves more than they threw punches is far worse for boxing.

The media is doing what the media always does. Blowing shit out of proportion.

...and that's one of the reasons that Saturday is a bad night for boxing. It's like boxing went out and got drunk and cheated on it's wife with stripper. It was fun for the night but the hangover and guilt that followed wasn't worth it.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah. I guess I'm just use to the stupid media taking cheap shots at boxing. They did it after Pac-Mosley too. Had dozens of stories talking about how UFC won the entertainment battle, boxing is dead, MMA is taking over, blah, blah.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 pm

It's a toss up. It got publicity which is good. I think it keeps people interested in Floyd and makes Ortiz a sympathetic character. A lot of people are pissed but I haven't gotten the "I'm gonna quit watching boxing because of this" vibe from anybody or from the media.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Gumby wrote:It's a toss up. It got publicity which is good. I think it keeps people interested in Floyd and makes Ortiz a sympathetic character. A lot of people are pissed but I haven't gotten the "I'm gonna quit watching boxing because of this" vibe from anybody or from the media.

Me either. I got a lot more angry friends who paid for Pac-Mosley. I tried to tell them it was crap. But they got hyped into it. They all felt ripped off and declared they wouldn't get a PPV again unless it was Mayweather-Pac.

Why I will stand by that fights like Pac-Mosley, Wlad-Haye, and Bradley-Alexander are worse for boxing.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Also, I think Canelo brought a ton of fans and they're all probably happy he won. Personally, I won't buy a Mayweather or Pacquiao PPV unless they fight each other (I would make an exception for Khan if he fought someone legit at 147 and looked good).

I might get Cotto v. Margo though. That's a fight that needs to be hyped, especially if the undercard shapes up nicely.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2