The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to fix judging?

+3
UBeeg9cats
flapanther2001
Gumby
7 posters

Go down

How to fix judging? Empty How to fix judging?

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 am

There have been a lot of recent bad decisions. What are some ideas to fix the way judges score fights? Here are some of my ideas:

- Place judges out of the ring and give them access to special broadcasts and multiple views.
- Elevate judges seats (like tennis) so they can get a better view of the action.
- Have judges submit there score for a round electronically before the next round begins
- Have the judges submit their notes on the fight (punch tracking, writing, anything they do to score the fight)
- Set standards for taking notes (every judge should be able to quantify and qualify how and why they scored a fight)
- Make things transparent (round by round score reports from each judge should be made public)
- Create an oversight committee run by experienced judges in each nation
- Make the judges use head phones
- Allow fans to vote for an explanation or investigation of a fight
- Assign new judges to foreign fights until they have built up credibility calling accurate fights
- Allow the ref to speak to the media about their thoughts on the action in the ring and have them take post fight notes to help settle disputed decisions
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

How to fix judging? Empty Re: How to fix judging?

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:34 pm

A blind pool where judges are drawn for the fights without benefit of promoter choosing them.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:25 pm

I like the random assignments but for big fights, only have a pool from the most experienced, solid judges. I've thought for some time now I would like to see 5 judges. One on each side of the ring and the ref. I doubt it has had major effects on results but one side of the ring has no judge and theoretically a fighter could do all his work on that side and get screwed. Another thing I wonder and this isn't judging per se but why are fights an even amount of rounds? I feel having 10 and 12 round fights instead of 11 and 13 is stupid. The fighters could never split the amount of rounds if the fight is an odd amount.

I wonder if scoring has become TOO standardized now. Judges are compelled not to score even rounds. I think fighters can now do something flashy for 10 secs and get a round. I would love more even rounds and more 10-8 rounds. There is just too great of range of 10-9 rounds for me.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:29 pm

What happened to scoring fights by Rounds instead of the 10 pt system?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Judges are there to score rounds, I'm tired of them scoring rounds 10-10.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 am

You don't need to go through such eleborate lengths to fix judging. Even if you did all that, you'd get the same result. Because you got corrupt, incompetant, judges.

In the US, NY, Nevada, California, and Texas need to get together and create a pool of judges, and a scoring system for them. A judge puts in a questional scorecard, it goes under review, and they get points deducted from them. You have to have certain level of points to judge major fights.

This is what NFL, MLB, NBA do. When Ed Hockley fucked up the call big time in the San Diego-Denver game, his grade was lowered, and he was not able to officiate any of the play-offs or Super Bowl game that year.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm

GrantZilla wrote:You don't need to go through such eleborate lengths to fix judging. Even if you did all that, you'd get the same result. Because you got corrupt, incompetant, judges.

In the US, NY, Nevada, California, and Texas need to get together and create a pool of judges, and a scoring system for them. A judge puts in a questional scorecard, it goes under review, and they get points deducted from them. You have to have certain level of points to judge major fights.

This is what NFL, MLB, NBA do. When Ed Hockley fucked up the call big time in the San Diego-Denver game, his grade was lowered, and he was not able to officiate any of the play-offs or Super Bowl game that year.

I'll go with Grant on this one. I like your idea of mediating their performances as other sports wisely do, however I still get the feeling that boxing is, and to an extent, always has been, in a state of anarchy. I think that bad decisions will forever be a part of our sport. It's just as much a part of boxing as gloves and a ring. I don't think anything will ever be done about it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down