The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing?

+5
Tobe
jz_hova
GrantZilla
Gumby
Shaun
9 posters

Go down

Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing? Empty Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing?

Post  Shaun Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

The short term thought is that it would solidify the burying of a Pacquiao/Ortiz super-fight.

The long term thought is that it creates a new superstar. To become a star you have to beat a star. Pacquiao became a star when he beat Oscar for example... this is how it has always worked.

So with Ortiz beating Floyd, this gives other fighters the opportunity to become stars (if they were to beat Ortiz).

Thoughts?
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing? Empty Re: Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing?

Post  Gumby Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Ortiz has lost too recently and looked to beatable to be a star in my opinion. I think Ortiz would have to beat Floyd and Manny to be a superstar. If he gets Floyd people would look at it as a fluke until he beat Pac.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing? Empty Re: Ortiz Beating Floyd Good For Boxing?

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Gumby wrote:Ortiz has lost too recently and looked to beatable to be a star in my opinion. I think Ortiz would have to beat Floyd and Manny to be a superstar. If he gets Floyd people would look at it as a fluke until he beat Pac.

What? You don't beat Mayweather by a fluke. He beats Floyd, it'd be all over the media. So many people would love to see Mayweather lose.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Gumby wrote:Ortiz has lost too recently and looked to beatable to be a star in my opinion. I think Ortiz would have to beat Floyd and Manny to be a superstar. If he gets Floyd people would look at it as a fluke until he beat Pac.

What??? If he beats Flod who will say it was a fluke?
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Grant beat me to it
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am

Yeah, I think Ortiz beating Floyd would be good for boxing. I can't see it actually happening though.

If you look at it as replacing an older, inactive, defensive-minded guy with a young, agressive mexican-american kid, then it is good for the sport on many levels. Ortiz isn't as talented as Floyd, there's no question about that - but could he be more popular? Maybe.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 am

if Ortiz beats Floyd it would be huge for boxing. the media would be all over it, it would certainly shake things up. more fighters will be calling out Ortiz with success than they do Floyd because Floyd only fights once a year now. it would shake things up in the boxing world so much. it would be the best case scenario for the sport right now in my opinion. however, Mayweather has a rematch clause within the contract and besides that i don't see Ortiz beating such a skilled craftsman as Floyd. i think people only see Floyd for his skill levels and as being a pure scientist within the ring, i think people are too quick to forget that Mayweather is actually a fantastic fighter as well

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Ortiz vs Pac would be huge
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Ortiz vs Pac would be huge

+1
It would totally open up the 147 lb division. Maidana would want a rematch, Bradley, Khan would want a shot and Pac would want a unifier. Also, Berto could work his way back into contention. You also have to think of interim fights leading up to the big fight. A lot of the above mentioned names would be going after on another in order to secure the big fight with Pac or Ortiz. it would be great.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

+1
It would totally open up the 147 lb division. Maidana would want a rematch, Bradley, Khan would want a shot and Pac would want a unifier. Also, Berto could work his way back into contention. You also have to think of interim fights leading up to the big fight. A lot of the above mentioned names would be going after on another in order to secure the big fight with Pac or Ortiz. it would be great.

And you'd hope HBO would be all over those fights for World Championship Boxing or BAD, its a way to turn their network around quickly
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

+1

And you'd hope HBO would be all over those fights for World Championship Boxing or BAD, its a way to turn their network around quickly

And make house hold names out of the contenders. Pac and Floyd hold that division hostage.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Honestly I don't know.

Maybe, because I can picture Floyd vs Pac being a huge letdown. Ortiz vs Pac on the other hand would provide some excitement.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

What? You don't beat Mayweather by a fluke. He beats Floyd, it'd be all over the media. So many people would love to see Mayweather lose.
Fluke is the wrong word. I just don't think he would get superstar respect until he beat Floyd and Manny. If he beats Floyd I think a lot of people will say that Floyd's past it or was never really that great at 147 instead of giving Ortiz his due.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:05 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

+1

And make house hold names out of the contenders. Pac and Floyd hold that division hostage.

This is what I doubt would happen. I don't think anyone outside of Pac and Floyd becomes a household name unless they beat Pac and Floyd. Those guys built their popularity by being ATGs AND winning high profile fights. I could see Khan getting to that level but that's about it.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 pm

a Mexican-American fighter now a days can be more popular than an African-American fighter. If Ortiz beats Floyd, its possible the Pacquiao vs Ortiz could be a bigger fight.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Gumby wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

+1

This is what I doubt would happen. I don't think anyone outside of Pac and Floyd becomes a household name unless they beat Pac and Floyd. Those guys built their popularity by being ATGs AND winning high profile fights. I could see Khan getting to that level but that's about it.

The Op asked if Ortiz beating Floyd was good for boxing. If they beat Pac or Floyd they're beating all time greats and winning high profile fights. Arturro Gatti became a household name fighting Mickey Ward life and death. If these guys spent 18-24 months beating each other up on HBO and Showtime exchanging belts and creating excitement, they'd have the potential to become household names.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
The Op asked if Ortiz beating Floyd was good for boxing. If they beat Pac or Floyd they're beating all time greats and winning high profile fights. Arturro Gatti became a household name fighting Mickey Ward life and death. If these guys spent 18-24 months beating each other up on HBO and Showtime exchanging belts and creating excitement, they'd have the potential to become household names.

+1

Pretty simple
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down