The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things HBO need to fix for 2011

+2
gomez1012
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Things HBO need to fix for 2011 Empty Things HBO need to fix for 2011

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:06 pm

HBO Boxing been getting a lot of heat, and even more from Hauser's article. Here's a recent article touching on it
http://blogs.bettor.com/HBOs-boxing-success-floundering-according-to-2010-fights-a41337

Greenberg admits HBO needs to fix things for next year. I don't take him seriously, since he says the same shit ever year.

But for shits and giggles.

--Stop trying to artificialy create stars

--Stop giving one promoter dates. Should be on a fight by fight basis

--Use a unified ranking and belt. I say The Ring, but whatever. Stop feeding the problem by crediting the ABC belts

--Do better job of advertising non PPV fights.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Things HBO need to fix for 2011 Empty Re: Things HBO need to fix for 2011

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:14 pm

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:19 pm

I am going to focus on Boxing After Dark- they need to revamp that show.
1- Every month should have a BAD card.
2-It should be on the same weekend-first or last weekend of the month-so a boxing fan will know that there is going to be a BAD card on.
3-try to add a 3rd fight more often

Heck, have some special BAD cards. Line up 4-5 prospects, have them matched reasonably tough and put them on. Don't hype the guys. Just give them a chance to fight in front of a national audience. Where does it say that guys like Benavidez or Sadam Ali only get shown on PPV undercards or venues like shobox, FNF, etc....

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I agree.....with all of it.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 am

I agree with the posts in this thread. Here are a couple of smaller things I'd like to see HBO do:

quit counter programming Showtime- it hurts the sport and therefore hurts both networks

bring back the old theme music for WCB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:35 am

Get rid of Ross Greenburg, and stop promoting sanctioning body titles.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:25 am

I don't know what HBO's problem is with using The Ring Rankings and belts. There is nothing better out there.

It's a proven fact people recognize brand name. You promote it enough, and people will know The Ring belt is the only one that matters. Same way people recognize the UFC belt as only one that matters in MMA

I agree with the the link Gomez posted. Put some fights on during the middle of the week to attract a younger audience. Reserve Championship Boxing only for legit champions, not ABC trinket holders. If that means less Championship Boxing fights, fine. Have more regular fights on.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 am

GrantZilla wrote:I don't know what HBO's problem is with using The Ring Rankings and belts. There is nothing better out there.

It's a proven fact people recognize brand name. You promote it enough, and people will know The Ring belt is the only one that matters. Same way people recognize the UFC belt as only one that matters in MMA

I agree with the the link Gomez posted. Put some fights on during the middle of the week to attract a younger audience. Reserve Championship Boxing only for legit champions, not ABC trinket holders. If that means less Championship Boxing fights, fine. Have more regular fights on.

I totally agree. The problem is that creates a situation where promoters and the networks are working at cross purposes. Promoters want the hype and want to have a their guy to be called "Champion" if he has a strap - that's the point of the belts to them. Why would they agree to let their guys on HBO (or anyone else's) air if they know the network is just going to disparage that title?
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 am

I am so perplexed by HBO and Showtime's refusal to recognise only Ring rankings that I rarely discuss it anymore out of frustration. Every news paper item I read about boxing seems to mention some plastic trinket as being the ' world championship'

It is so obvious and simple: HBO and Showtime have the power between them to reform the rating system for the betterment of the sport.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:33 pm

I have a feeling they receive money from the organizations, why else would they go out of there way to promote corrupt titles ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Tobe wrote: Why would they agree to let their guys on HBO (or anyone else's) air if they know the network is just going to disparage that title?

Are you seriouse? Promoters need HBO. That's where the money is. HBO doesn't need them. Every promoter wants their fighter on HBO because they pay the best.

Their only alternative is try and get their fighter on Showtime. Showtime has a fraction of HBO's budget, and they got limited slots for fighters.

So then their only alternative throw their fighter on a nich PPV, where they'd be lucky to get enough numbers to break even.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Hire David " The Savior" Haye as a replacement commentator for Lennox Lewis old BAD spot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Ali wrote:Get rid of Ross Greenburg, and stop promoting sanctioning body titles.
+1
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Ali wrote:I have a feeling they receive money from the organizations, why else would they go out of there way to promote corrupt titles ?

No, HBO in bed with the promoters who are in bed with certain sanctioning bodies. Right now, HBO jungled up with Golden Boy. Golden Boy wants their fighter's titles to be recognize.

This whole "Golden Boy has corrupted The Ring" is BS. If that was the case, you'd think GB would demanded HBO use The Ring. Not happening. Because The Ring title is the hardest one to get.

Hell, The Ring just put Manny as # 1 Welter, knocking off Mayweather who's jungled up with GB.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down