The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute

4 posters

Go down

Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute Empty Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik was out of action for 13 months after losing the title to Sergio Martinez, so naturally when he returned he looked a bit rusty.

But Pavlik, who spent two months of his time away from the ring in rehab for an alcohol problem, still won his fight, outpointing Alfonso Lopez on the Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley undercard on May 7.

Pavlik (37-2, 32 KOs), who moved up to super middleweight, didn't turn in what anyone could call a bad performance, but neither was it anything to write home about. The rust was evident.

With Pavlik's big name, he could have easily walked into a big fight in the fall just off the lone victory against Lopez. However, Pavlik, his management and promoter Top Rank all believe he needs at least one more bout before a likely November fight with super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute.

So that is what Pavlik will get, in the form of an Aug. 6 fight on Showtime's "ShoBox: The New Generation," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said.

Arum said the fight (against an opponent to be determined) will take place at the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, Ohio, Pavlik's hometown.

"Kelly feels that he has to fight to keep the rust off. That's what [trainer] Jack Loew told me," Arum said. "So we want to give Kelly every chance to be competitive and beat Bute. I think a top Kelly Pavlik, without ring rust, is capable of beating Bute, who is an excellent fighter."

"Basically, the idea is for Kelly to knock off some more rust and get him sharper, and then he can start fighting the big fights," co-manager Cameron Dunkin said. "The thing I liked about his fight with Lopez is he looked better as it went on. Get him another fight and he'll get that much sharper."

A Pavlik tuneup fight makes sense for Showtime, too, which has Bute under contract. And getting a fighter with Pavlik's name value on its B series would be a coup.

"To get Kelly on 'ShoBox,' with the moderate fee they pay, is a real plus for Showtime and it will also be a big help so Kelly can get sharp," Arum said.

Bute (28-0, 23 KOs), a star in his adopted hometown of Montreal, would have to win a July 9 mandatory defense against Jean Paul Mendy, which will take place in Bute's native Romania. Showtime plans to air highlights of the bout during its live telecast that night featuring lightweight titlist Brandon Rios defending against Urbano Antillon.

Although Pavlik facing Bute is the most likely scenario, Arum said British promoter Frank Warren, a longtime friend of Arum's, called him to gauge the interest in a fall fight between Pavlik and James DeGale (10-1, 8 KOs), the 2008 Olympic gold medalist who suffered his first defeat via decision to rival George Groves in May.

"Frank was in touch with me about doing the fight with DeGale, and we'd consider it, but the preference is for Kelly to fight Bute," Arum said.

Dunkin said Pavlik is willing to go to England to face DeGale.

"Bute is a bigger fight, but they're offering really good money for DeGale," Dunkin said. "It's something you gotta look at. Frank Warren thinks he can sell it, so it would have to be over there. Kelly and [his father and co-manager] Mike [Pavlik] said they were fine with it."

To get Pavlik ready for Bute or DeGale -- both left-handers -- Top Rank's Carl Moretti said matchmaker Brad "Abdul" Goodman was on the hunt for a southpaw opponent for Pavlik's August fight.

"I think it's clearly a smart move on everybody's part for Kelly to get in the ring again and get active against a southpaw," Moretti said. "If we're thinking about Bute or DeGale, why fight a small right-handed guy? You want to fight a taller lefty."

Although Pavlik is on top of the list for Bute, his people have also reached out to promoter Lou DiBella about matching Bute with former light heavyweight champ Glen Johnson, who dropped down to 168 pounds and advanced to the semifinals of the Super Six World Boxing Classic before losing to titlist Carl Froch on points in a competitive fight on June 4.

Props to Kelly, either fight is great for the fans and doing the smart thing to get paid, traveling to UK or Canada for attractive match ups
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute Empty Re: Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute

Post  Gumby Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't know that Kelly makes either of those fights, but my guess is they won't put him in there with Bute at all.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute Empty Re: Pavlik on ShoBox - Tune Up for DeGale or Bute

Post  Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Wonder why Frank is so keen to throw Degale in with Pavlik with only eleven professional fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Ali wrote:Wonder why Frank is so keen to throw Degale in with Pavlik with only eleven professional fights.

Maybe he sees something in Pavlik that he thinks DeGale can exploit. Pavlik has looked bad everytime he's fought above 160 win or lose. Also it won't hurt DeGale to lose to a former middleweight world champion. He's young and can come back from that.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:13 pm

yea Pavlik will trade with DeGale.

Chunky wont have to chase him down like he did vs Groves, he has quick hands, I can see him pulling it off
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Degale is no Calzaghe, he's a very raw fighter who's still in the process of ironing out his amateur habits, risking James against an experienced former champion is highly dangerous. Especially when Pavlik isn't shot and has only lost to the best in the game. And the loss to Martinez was competitive.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 pm

My guess is Frank sees what many people see in Pavlik: a big name with nothing left that hasn't taken the damaging L yet. Only 1 boxer gets to receive that discounted big name W before fans and media write off the big name and Warren wants it to be Degale.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:24 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:My guess is Frank sees what many people see in Pavlik: a big name with nothing left that hasn't taken the damaging L yet. Only 1 boxer gets to receive that discounted big name W before fans and media write off the big name and Warren wants it to be Degale.

+1

And he's a recovering alcoholic coming to the pub capital of the world.
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:My guess is Frank sees what many people see in Pavlik: a big name with nothing left that hasn't taken the damaging L yet. Only 1 boxer gets to receive that discounted big name W before fans and media write off the big name and Warren wants it to be Degale.

+1

And he's a recovering alcoholic coming to the pub capital of the world.

I think it is how Berto must feel about Mosley. Berto was a couple of weeks away from facing a Mosley that in all likelihood was shot even then but no one knew about it. Shane was still ranked #1. Now Shane has been destroyed by Floyd and Pac and even drew with Mora. A SSM win for Berto now means almost nothing while back then it would have put him as the top welter and first in line for Pac or Floyd.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 pm

As for damaging L's - Pavlik has had 2, Martinez & Hopkins

Hopkins teaching him a lesson and supposedly turning him in a drunk then Martinez shredding his eyes off last April kept the drinks coming

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 am

While I hope I am a rational fan, I just don't see either one of those L's as being particularly damaging to him. He had to move up 10 lbs to face a first ballot HOFer and got whipped. People seem to forget that he was winning the Martinez fight after 8 rounds. He got cut and was out of it from the 9th round on. If he had a more experienced cut man, he might have still won. Either way, he lost a competitive decision to a top P4P fighter.

However, the next loss won't be to a legend and probably won't be against a top P4P fighter. It will most likely be to a somewhat highly ranked SMW but will be very ugly.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:30 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:While I hope I am a rational fan, I just don't see either one of those L's as being particularly damaging to him. He had to move up 10 lbs to face a first ballot HOFer and got whipped. People seem to forget that he was winning the Martinez fight after 8 rounds. He got cut and was out of it from the 9th round on. If he had a more experienced cut man, he might have still won. Either way, he lost a competitive decision to a top P4P fighter.

However, the next loss won't be to a legend and probably won't be against a top P4P fighter. It will most likely be to a somewhat highly ranked SMW but will be very ugly.

If he seemed stronger minded those losses wouldn't be as much as an issue. He had a staph infection that he didn't properly take care of after the first one and went to rehab after the second. On paper they're not damaging, in reality they seemed to be.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:53 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:He had to move up 10 lbs to face a first ballot HOFer and got whipped. People seem to forget that he was winning the Martinez fight after 8 rounds. He got cut and was out of it from the 9th round on. If he had a more experienced cut man, he might have still won. Either way, he lost a competitive decision to a top P4P fighter.

I'll play devil's advocate. He lost to an old man coming off a loss and a guy he outweighed by 20lbs. Those fights absolutely took him off the map. Before the Hopkins fight he was a star in the sport.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down