The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight

2 posters

Go down

Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight Empty Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight

Post  captainanddew Sun May 22, 2011 11:14 pm

from Boxingscene:

By Ruslan Chikov

Referee Steve Smoger has fallen under fire over his delayed reaction to stop the fight between Roy Jones Jr. and Denis Lebedev On Saturday night at the Dynamo Arena in Moscow, Russia, Lebedev baldy hurt Jones with a combination in the final minute of the tenth and final round. Jones was seemingly out on his feet and slumped forward with hands down to his waist, but Smoger allowed the action to continue, and then Lebedev landed a crushing hook which sent Jones crashing to the canvas on his face and unconscious.

Smoger tells Alexander Pavlov that Jones was playing possum several times in the contest and when Lebedev would attempt to finish him off, Jones would strike him with punches and then play to the crowd. When Lebedev badly hurt Jones, Smoger was not sure if Jones as pulling another stunt by pretending to be hurt.

"I didn't stop the fight because there were only a matter of seconds remaining in the fight and it seemed that Roy was pretending, trying to trick his opponent," said Smoger. "He did this repeatedly in the fight. So I thought Jones was doing the same thing here, trying to deceive Lebedev in the final seconds of the fight in order to lure Denis in to land a big punch [which Jones managed to do in the previous round]."

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight Empty Re: Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight

Post  flapanther2001 Sun May 22, 2011 11:24 pm

That just proves to me that Smoger can't tell the difference, which amounts to incompetence.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight Empty Re: Smoger's explanation of the end of the fight

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 11:39 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:That just proves to me that Smoger can't tell the difference, which amounts to incompetence.
..good point.he let the cat out of the bag.gee not much time left so what bad thing could happen.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun May 22, 2011 11:42 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:That just proves to me that Smoger can't tell the difference, which amounts to incompetence.
..good point.he let the cat out of the bag.gee not much time left so what bad thing could happen.
Watching the clip, he looked completely out of position and even stepped back allowing Lebedev to land unnecessary punches.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 am

I saw the end. I will force myself to watch the entire fight ( I only watched a few rounds in the beginning) before saying if this explanation is really plausible.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down