The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ross Greenburg replaced

+6
Groundhog
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
Frank
Diego408
gomez1012
10 posters

Go down

Ross Greenburg replaced Empty Ross Greenburg replaced

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=38890#ixzz1Lb2o5TWG

Thomas Hauser has advised BoxingScene.com that the next president of HBO Sports will be Ross Levinsohn.

Levinsohn will be replacing Ross Greenburg, who has been with HBO Sports for more than three decades.

According to Levinsohn's background pieced from several company profiles, he was the EVP of "Americas" at Yahoo, where he oversaw their US, Canadian, Latin and South American businesses. For nearly three years he was the managing director of Fuse Capital, a technology and media investment firm based in Los Angeles. He is the former President of Fox Interactive Media, the Internet and New Media arm of News Corporation, where he reported directly to Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. President Peter Chernin.

MUCH MORE TO FOLLOW...........

Ross Greenburg replaced B6dgty
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Ross Greenburg replaced Empty Re: Ross Greenburg replaced

Post  Diego408 Fri May 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Losing the Pac-Flomo fight, then Pacquaio completely and cant bring interest in Flomo coming back because hes been well paid to fight a bunch of push over. The old Ross is to blame.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 pm

stevemaxboxing
Word is that nobody at HBO- including Greenburg, himself- had no idea. They found out from Tom Hauser's story on Boxingscene #boxing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri May 06, 2011 2:49 pm

We must find out the exact date this beautiful act happened and name it, HBO day. HBO has finally seen the light, however in my opinion, it's too little, too late. Manny is gone and if Floyd and Manny do finally meet, it will be on Showtime. So says scumbag Don King.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 3:50 pm

I knew there was no way he kept his job. I don't gloat over a man losing his job, but he had to go
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 4:24 pm

But is Levinsohn an actually boxing fan or is he just another suit ?

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 pm

LAS VEGAS--Fighting Manny Pacquiao is dangerous to your health. Losing Pacman as the leading boxing attraction on your prime cable network can be dangerous to your continued employment at said prime cable network.

That, in a nutshell, seems to be, if the rumor which was delivered to Rick Reeno at Boxingscene by the very well sourced writer Thomas Hauser is indeed true, what has just happen to the lengthy reign of HBO Sports President and boss of all things boxing Ross Greenburg.

When promoter Bob Arum took his cash cow Pacman over to the Showtime/CBS combination and spurned staying with HBO, rumors began flowing about the shaky status of not only Greenburg but his boxing underling Kery Davis.

The slick executive said to replacing Greenburg, who was looking like he might finish up 2011 without having either a Pacquiao or a Floyd Mayweather bout on PPV, is movie star looking Ross Levinsohn,

Levinsohn, who I dubbed “Ross The Boss” years ago when he was young publicist toiling for Rich Rose's public relations boutique agency in Manhattan, is well-dressed, well-spoken and incredibly well versed in the nuances and trends of digital media.

But, make no mistake even though his current employer Yahoo is denying that Levinsohn is leaving there for HBO, he has or had a good feel and some solid experience around big fights and has familiarity with Arum and many other influential boxing people.

If Levinsohn has been hired to lead HBO's boxing shakeup, it would be his second time working for network.

This story broke just hours before the Boxing Writers Association of America dinner Friday night here and the night before Pacquiao was to make his Showtime PPV TV debut.

I made calls to various HBO personnel and was told most of them, possibly including Greenburg, were on flights en route to Las Vegas for the writers dinner.

http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-national/levinsohn-greenburg-out-losing-pacquiao-may-have-cost-hbo-sports-chief-job#Pacquiao#Mayweather#boxing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri May 06, 2011 4:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I knew there was no way he kept his job. I don't gloat over a man losing his job, but he had to go
You should gloat by sending him a message after he was a complete dick to you.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:I knew there was no way he kept his job. I don't gloat over a man losing his job, but he had to go
You should gloat by sending him a message after he was a complete dick to you.

Heh, yeah. But atleast he wrote to me. I'll give him credit for that.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 pm

ross "scott" levinson

cyclops

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I dunno, this guy sounds like just another suit. Which if that's the case, what's the point in even replacing Greenburg.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 6:02 pm

i saw that on fat dans chat but he said he could not verify it..greenburg out im ok with for sure but this new guys resume says shit..like whats he know about the fight business.the guy they had years ago i forget his name seth something was good.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 6:04 pm

I agree. So he's a digital media guy. What the fuck does that have to do with running HBO Sports aka boxing?

I was hoping Turner Sports Prez would take over HBO Sports

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I don't care if the new guy is just a suit. I care if he is a smart suit. A smart suit will improve the guys he has picking fights and coming up with budgets for specific cards.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 06, 2011 6:30 pm

captainanddew wrote:I don't care if the new guy is just a suit. I care if he is a smart suit. A smart suit will improve the guys he has picking fights and coming up with budgets for specific cards.

Yeah, but that goes hand in hand. If the guys actualy knows boxing, he'll know what fights will be good and what fights won't be good. What fights are worth paying extra for and what fights not too.

Case and point, Greenberg was clueless that Bradley-Alexander would end up a stinker. Even though most of us that know boxing knew the style match-up would probably make it a bad fight.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Ali wrote:But is Levinsohn an actually boxing fan or is he just another suit ?
Yeah I wouldn't get too excited just yet. He could end up being just as bad as Greenburg.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Groundhog wrote:ross "scott" levinson

cyclops

First you insult my intelligence then you steal my joke right out of my brain. I'm going to put in a call to Carl Spackler.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

kbyte wrote:
Ali wrote:But is Levinsohn an actually boxing fan or is he just another suit ?
Yeah I wouldn't get too excited just yet. He could end up being just as bad as Greenburg.

+1 for Ali asking the best question this thread had to offer.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat May 07, 2011 3:34 am

who cares, things can only get better!!! hooray hooray, fuck Greenburg, he's probably already minted

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat May 07, 2011 3:55 am

HBO got a lot fixing it needs to do

1) End it's favortism to GB or any promoter. Zero out-put deals. "Best Fights/No Rights"

2) Needs to cross-promote fights on other Turner stations like TNT

3) Needs to end it's bullshit policy of crediting every trinket holder, and use a universal ranking that casual fan can understand.

This what I suggest to Rossy as far as just using The Ring, which he showed his ignorance by asking me if I even knew who did the rankings. Duh! The panel is listed.

Use The Ring and Boxrec compu rankings. I swear, this is what I always hear from friends and people that are casual fans or non fans. "Who's The Champ" "who are the top guys?"
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat May 07, 2011 3:59 am

yeh there are those problems. they need to start growing a set of bollocks when negotiating the big fights. offer their price to the promoters/managers/fighters. if the fighters want more??? fuck them, we'll go somewhere else. they need to get the power big with them seeing as they are the guys providing the fighters with a living in which they can get extremely well paid from if they put in the required work effort. turning up for 9 rounds relucting to fight, quitting over a tiny scratch, getting paid over 7 figures with another 7 figure payday guaranteed at a later date is not the required effort. this is what HBO needs to cut out

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat May 07, 2011 4:08 am

That falls into promoter-favortism. Their in bed with GB and Al Hayman.

Make no mistake, HBO telling Cotto to fuck off after he gave them their highest ratings last year, is why Pac-Mosley is with Showtime.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sat May 07, 2011 8:01 am

GrantZilla wrote:HBO got a lot fixing it needs to do

1) End it's favortism to GB or any promoter. Zero out-put deals. "Best Fights/No Rights"

2) Needs to cross-promote fights on other Turner stations like TNT

3) Needs to end it's bullshit policy of crediting every trinket holder, and use a universal ranking that casual fan can understand.

This what I suggest to Rossy as far as just using The Ring, which he showed his ignorance by asking me if I even knew who did the rankings. Duh! The panel is listed.

Use The Ring and Boxrec compu rankings. I swear, this is what I always hear from friends and people that are casual fans or non fans. "Who's The Champ" "who are the top guys?"
Good post. I think they should just focuse on calling the Ring champ the real champ from now on. They should respect the past when the wbc, wba titles etc actually meant something but make it clear that they've become too diluted and lost meaning. Make a fresh start.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 am

all good points except using boxing recs ratings.why.because there not done by a human that actualy sees the fights but by a formula submitted to a computer ..just use ring and do what was suggested that the wba wbc had a reputation of note and fairness at one time now its the oppsite.it may take a year to undo all the output deals with fighters and promoters but hopefully they will head in that direction..
i have my reservations about the new guy but if they do hire a dan r or someone that lives boxing 24-7 as a adviser and the new guy handles negotiations or business -money aspect it could work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down