The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA

+5
Rum Capital
captainanddew
GrantZilla
gomez1012
Groundhog
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA Empty Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA

Post  Groundhog Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 pm

from twitter

SteveZBoxing Steve Zemach

Let me clear this up. @GoldenBoyBoxing fired the entire ring magazine staff, closed the office in NY, and moved it to LA. The Ring is DEAD.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA Empty Re: Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA

Post  Groundhog Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:41 pm

*meanwhile, Grant has an aneurysm.

Thanks Oscar!

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA Empty Re: Rumor: Nigel Collins out at Ring, replaced by Dougie Fischer, moving to LA

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Doug Fischer..... Evil or Very Mad
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Groundhog wrote:*meanwhile, Grant has an aneurysm.

Thanks Oscar!

Well, boxing's fucked if this is true. I didn't think Oscar would be this stupid to make a move like this. But Arum is right, Oscar realy is a very stupid man.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Well, boxing's fucked if this is true. I didn't think Oscar would be this stupid to make a move like this. But Arum is right, Oscar realy is a very stupid man.

From Oscar's Univision interview
Talking about a sponsor

Narrator: At a time of family and personal crisis, his addiction also started to affect his business decisions. Last March, Golden Boy Promotions signed an agreement with a well-known tequila brand in what promised to be an excellent opportunity for both companies to make millions of dollars. De la Hoya, recognizing that his well-being was at stake took action.

Oscar: I got rid of the company. And let me explain to you what this addiction, this “monster” is like. I partnered up with a tequila company, knowing that I’m an alcoholic. Understand? That’s how strong it is.

Narrator: He had become an ambassador for that brand.

Oscar: Yes, it was truly a good deal, but now that I’m seeing things more clearly, I didn’t get rid of it without thinking it twice, and it was the right thing to do. How can I lead a clean, healthy life while I’m partnered with a tequila company?

Funny Shit
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I like Dougie Fisher. He is my boy. But why the fuck would you fire the staff unless you want to put in a bunch of flunkies who will blow Golden Boy at every opportunity. If this is true, De La Hoya is a bitch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:22 pm

captainanddew wrote:I like Dougie Fisher. He is my boy. But why the fuck would you fire the staff unless you want to put in a bunch of flunkies who will blow Golden Boy at every opportunity. If this is true, De La Hoya is a bitch.
he sure is Very Happy
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:50 am

On Thursday, Eric Raskin and William Dettloff, contributing editor for the publication and senior writer for the publication, respectively, announced on their Ring Theory podcast that editor-in-chief Nigel Collins and managing editor Joseph Santoliquito had been fired by Golden Boy Promotions, the boxing promoter that owns Ring Magazine. They said that the offices of Ring Magazine in Blue Bell, Pa. will be shuttered, and the magazine offices will now be centered in Los Angeles, where GBP and the editors of RingTV, the magazine's website with previously separate leadership, are located. Dettloff and Raskin sounded alarm bells about what this entails for Ring Magazine's independence, and, consequently, its championship policy and the credibility of its rankings.

That was all eyebrow-raising. What the pair said specifically about what the changes mean, beyond that, was troubling. Dettloff indicated that Collins was the last safeguard against GBP meddling and Ring: "Nigel has now duly paid the price for having backbone."

It must be noted that I have several different degrees of conflict of interest here. I have long been an advocate of Ring's ratings and championship policy; just look to the column on your left. I have worked for Nigel and Joe directly, and consider Eric a friend, one who has, incidentally, helped my mini-boxing writing career. And I recently joined the Ring Ratings Panel. Raskin and Dettloff have their own personal stake in what is happening, in that both were removed from RingTV and haven't hidden their dissatisfaction about that on Twitter or in columns at The Sweet Science, and both stand to lose money not writing for Ring Magazine.

out. As I've said many times before, there are few boxing publications today that are free from conflicts of interest; for instance, ESPN airs boxing programming for profit and simultaneously pays a journalist to cover boxing who often writes about ESPN boxing programming. Absent proof of any GBP corruption of the rankings in the near future, it wouldn't be prudent to assume that the rankings are instantly tainted, or that the magazine will now be a hopeless GBP shill.

But more GBP involvement raises deeper doubts, is all.

http://tinyurl.com/3jex7dj

Fuck you OSCAR!!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

FFS Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 am

Be interesting to hear what Dan's gotta say about this, will he use his blog and twitter to attack, or remain quiet.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Doesnt look good.

It's over for Ring.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Doesnt look good.

It's over for Ring.

+1

Im thinking this is GBP's move to try and copy UFC

Have their own rankings/ratings and champs
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Don't know you if you heard about The Ring cleaning house and moving to Cali. Personally I'm bummed...

Dan Rafael
I have heard and it is true and I am not surprised at all. It's too bad some good people were fired, including editor Nigel Collins, a good man, editor and writer.

Any thoughts on Golden Boy gutting the integrity of the Ring Mag by firing Nigel Collins and all east coast staff.

Dan Rafael
I dont think the act of firing anyone guts their integrity. What would do that depends on what happens with the product going forward.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:56 pm

I want to know why there has been no offical announcement by The Ring about this.

What, you fire someone like Nigel Collins who has made The Ring a credible source, and move to LA, and you're hoping to sweep it under the rug?

I don't like this shit one bit. Collins was a respectable guy, and if he was fired because he refused to be a GB puppet, then The Ring is finished
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I want to know why there has been no offical announcement by The Ring about this.

What, you fire someone like Nigel Collins who has made The Ring a credible source, and move to LA, and you're hoping to sweep it under the rug?

I don't like this shit one bit. Collins was a respectable guy, and if he was fired because he refused to be a GB puppet, then The Ring is finished

Its Golden Boy man, they've become the worst thing to happen to boxing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Like The Fan Man said, I'll wait and see what goes down. If it turns out this is nothing but GB corruption, I'll end my subscription to The Ring, and so will a lot of fans I'm sure.

I'm hoping this is nothing but a cost cutting move. I would not be surprised if they end the printing issues and it's all online.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:15 pm

GBP doesnt make good decisions, have no concrete plans, just do shit on the fly
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm

gomez1012 wrote:GBP doesnt make good decisions, have no concrete plans, just do shit on the fly

Or taking sponsor deals to aid one's drug habits

Say GB sells their shares of The Ring. Who would you think would be best to own it?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 pm

ESPN lol
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:ESPN lol

I wouldn't object to that, but you could say it's as much of a conflict of interest having a network own The Ring as a promoter.

But I'd take Disney/ESPN over fucking GB anyday.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:25 pm

One more reason to hate Oscar, this really sucks, The Ring was the only decent boxing mag around.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:One more reason to hate Oscar, this really sucks, The Ring was the only decent boxing mag around.

Not only that, it was the only for the most part reliable source in the corrupt/joke world of sleazy promoters and disgrace sanctioning bodies.

Say The Ring goes to shit, what rankings are we the fans suppose to use as a standard? Fat Dan? Boxrec?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Sadly, Jabba the ESPN reporter would be more credible than GB. Hell, Boxrec and it's whack job rankings system would be better.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:31 pm

That's where I think this is headed, GBP using Ring ratings to validate their shitty stable and create their own UFC like Oscar and Schaefer have dreamed about...

Only positive I can see is if Top Rank, GBP, and other promoters use Ring Ratings to actually make fights happen to create identified champs

Pipe dream...
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:41 pm

They have to be realy stupid to do that. Because if they do, The Ring's credibility is gone. And they don't make money from extortion fees, I mean sanctioning fees, like the ABC belts. They make it off subscribers. And they'd lose everyone if they did that.

Not only that, can bet ESPN would stop refering to The Ring Rankings and most other legit boxing sites. So the free advertisment is gone.

ESPN would just soley go off of Fat Dan's Rankings.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next