The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say goodbye to Ross Greenburg

+2
GrantZilla
gomez1012
6 posters

Go down

Say goodbye to Ross Greenburg Empty Say goodbye to Ross Greenburg

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:28 pm

BoxingScene.com has learned that Ross Greenburg is out as HBO's President of Sports, and that his removal is expected to be announced as early as Monday, according to multiple sources familiar with the network's decision.

Although Greenburg will no longer be on HBO's payroll, he has apparently accepted a role as an independent producer of one or more documentaries that will be financed by HBO as part of his severance package.

Greenburg became the president of HBO Sports in the fall of 2000, replacing Seth Abraham when Abraham left Time Warner Sports to become executive vice president and chief operating officer of New York's Madison Square Garden.

Much of Greenburg's demise can be traced to the loss of boxing's biggest star, eight-division titlist Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 knockouts), to rival cable giant Showtime in May.

In May, Pacquiao's earned a unanimous decision in defense of his WBO welterweight title over Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs), a bout that was televised on and distributed on Showtime Pay-Per-View and promoted heavily on CBS, that network's parent company.

Although it was the first time that either Pacquiao or Mosley had been televised on Showtime, Greenburg, during an interview with BoxingScene.com in January, downplayed the significance of the move by Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum, promoter of the fight.

"You know, it was a business decision that Bob Arum made, and it was a one-fight deal, we'll just take it from there. But that's really all that I can say about it. We're just moving on and doing what we do best, and that's putting big fights together featuring the best fighters in the world," said Greenburg at the time.

"This is a one fight deal, so we will just wait and see what happens after this fight. It's more a matter of having established over 35 years a brand in HBO boxing, and I've been a part of it for 32 of those 35 years."So this is not going upset our positioning as the preiminant boxing network."

But that was not the view of Abraham, who was considered an architect of HBO Boxing’s rise to boxing prominence.

In a May 6 New York Times article written by Greg Bishop, Abraham compared the Pacquiao-Showtime partnership to the end of Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak.

For years, wrote Greg Bishop, dating at least to when Mike Tyson left HBO in the mid-1990s, the network had staged the bouts of the sport’s best fighters.

"The streak is over," Abraham told The New York Times. "But the impact is not what happens in the ring. It’s what happens afterward. And there, it’s potentially very, very dramatic from a business standpoint."

In January, however, Greenburg insisted that HBO would recover from its failure to land Pacquiao-Mosley.

"That's what we've always prided ourselves on, and we continue to look for the best fighters in the world," said Greenburg. "If they're in the same division, we match them up. That's what the public expects of us, and that's what we'll continue to do."

Arum said that he still is undecided which of the two networks -- HBO or Showtime -- will get the November 12 third bout between Pacquiao and WBO and WBA light weight titlist Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs), and the Dec. 3 rematch between WBA junior middleweight king Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs) and Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs).

The two networks still are in a bidding war over two bouts. HBO already has put out a bid to Top Rank, which expects a counter offer from Showtime on Tuesday.

A 1977 Brown University graduate and winner of the Sam Taub Award for excellence in boxing broadcasting, Greenburg was also responsible for HBO series' such as "Sports of the 20th Century," as well as "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," and, "Inside The NFL," the latter featuring Bob Costas, Dan Marino, Cris Carter, and Chris Collinsworth

http://www.boxingscene.com/sources-ross-greenburg-parting-ways-with-hbo-sports--41570

Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down

Say goodbye to Ross Greenburg Empty Re: Say goodbye to Ross Greenburg

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Grant just spontaneously ejaculated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Long overdue. Kerry Davis should follow him out the door.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm

how do I apply?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Canvas wrote:how do I apply?

Pop down to HBO's headquarters.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 pm

please dont replace with him w/dan rafael Evil or Very Mad
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:please dont replace with him w/dan rafael Evil or Very Mad

there is no way Rafael would be considered. maybe for Davis' job when the inevitable happens

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Long overdue. But what's more important now is why replaces him.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Anyone who has a passion for the sport would be better than Greenburg.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Ali wrote:

Anyone who has a passion for the sport would be better than Greenburg.

No way. Fat Dan is a GB homer. He'd be no better than GreenChump. They need a guy that knows how to do good business as much as they know boxing. Such as, not outbidding yourself for fights, and over-paying for fighters that don't produce ratings.

"Best Fights/No Rights"
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Dibella used to have Davis' job. There is no way Time Warner considers Rafael for Greenburg's job. You have to understand TV production to have that job.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Even Fat ass tub of lard admitted it was a complete rumor, I was really happy to hear that. Greenburg is the reason why boxing is a chickenfied sport. Fighters will only take a slight risk if they get paid Millions for it thanks to Greengurg. Thanks Greenburg for fucking everything up. I got a feling no one else will ever be able to fix this ever.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 pm

My only fear is they'll just replace one suit with another suit. HBO needs to hire a business man who's got knowledge and love for boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Bring back Lou DiBElla
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Bring back Lou DiBElla

+1

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:14 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Bring back Lou DiBElla

I'll take the fucking job , if they fucking pay me big bucks! If not, fuck them. I'm Lou DiBella
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm

I'll do it for less than whatever suit they bring in to run it.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Just don't get another Jew TV programmer

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:22 pm

^ WTF?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Canvas wrote:^ WTF?

I was joking. But most TV programmers are Jews

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:09 am

Ross Greenburg, who has run HBO Sports since 2000, is leaving the network after 33 years, saying he is fatigued by his work on its boxing business.

He said he was not renewing his contract and was not being dismissed.

“I’ve accomplished everything I hoped for,” he said in a telephone interview.

He denied reports that he was fired for losing Manny Pacquiao, one of HBO’s strongest pay-per-view stars, to Showtime for his fight on May 7 against Shane Mosley.

“That’s a silly rationale,” he said. “That added to my angst, but one fight doesn’t determine whether I stayed or didn’t stay."

But one promoter, who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid losing business with HBO, said: “He was absolutely fired. The guy’s been twisting in the wind for months. They’ve been looking for a replacement.”

“That’s who I am,” he said, referring to programming other than boxing matches. “I create programming that makes people laugh and cry.”

Greenburg said that the toll of dealing with promoters and managers made him want to leave. One promoter in particular, Bob Arum, has criticized HBO and Greenburg, saying they exert too much control over boxing and do not make the most competitive matchups.

Greenburg would not discuss Arum or his criticism.

“I love the sport; I grew up in it,” Greenburg said. “We made the sport relevant when people thought it was dying.” He cited HBO’s productions of Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya’s bouts as having helped to breathe life into boxing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/sports/ross-greenburg-is-leaving-hbo-sports.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I actually have an interview for the position next week. Hopefully all will go well!

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:I actually have an interview for the position next week. Hopefully all will go well!
How'd you manage that? What are the qualifications for candidates?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 am

This sums up exactly what many of us have been saying:

The real downfall began in the 70′s and 80′s when network TV finally threw in the towel with boxing. The sport’s power brokers, unwilling to actually work on the reasons boxing was becoming toxic to advertisers, took the show to upstart premium cable outlets, like HBO and Showtime, eager to add programming to an empty broadcast slate.

These pay networks would bring in legendary figures such as Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Tommy Hearns, right up to stars like Mike Tyson, Pernell Whitaker, and Evander Holyfield– all fighters who had already cut their teeth on free, network TV and brought with them an established fan base and mainstream media buzz.

On the other hand, the fighters emerging under Greenburg’s reign would represent the first generation of fighters who hadn’t enjoyed the benefit of free network exposure. In essence, HBO was trying to build an audience from a base that had already been cut to a fraction, isolated from exposure to new fans, and willfully removed from the mainstream sports community.

The questionable matchmaking decisions and odd scheduling moves coming from the HBO corporate offices didn’t help any, but the diminishing returns were a foregone conclusion from the moment free TV got sick of dealing with a sport that refused to regulate itself

http://theboxingtribune.com/2011/07/blame-greenburg-boxings-problems-go-deeper-than-hbo-greenburg/
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:21 pm

BoxingGenius wrote:I actually have an interview for the position next week. Hopefully all will go well!

All I ask is that you give Nathan Cleverly and Kell Brook a B.A.D card please Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down