The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale

+2
flapanther2001
freakzilla
6 posters

Go down

Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale Empty Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale

Post  freakzilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/boxing/garth-wood-set-to-fight-wba-middleweight-champ-felix-strum-in-germany-to-line-up-show-down-with-daniel-geale/story-e6frf5h3-1226040065562

Garth Wood is set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Sturm, paving the way for a potential superfight with fellow Australian middleweight contender Daniel Geale.

Management for the German world champion contacted Team Wood early yesterday morning to begin negotiations for a title fight, most likely in Paris.

The offer comes despite the Sydneysider losing a controversial points decision to Anthony Mundine at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Wednesday.

"Sometimes when you lose, you really win," Wood said last night.

"I may have lost the fight against Anthony, but I don't think I lost any fans. I don't think my reputation as a fighter took a hit, either.

"I wasn't happy with a few things but I'm not going to whinge or come out shouting how I'm the best.

"But I will fight the best.

"And if that means going to Germany, going to France, going anywhere overseas, that's exactly what we'll do."

The move by Team Wood means Sydney now has two fighters gunning for prestigious world titles overseas, with Geale set to fight Germany's Sebastian Sylvester for the IBF middleweight title in Germany next month.

If both Geale and Wood are successful -- tough, but possible -- it would set up an all-Australian superfight for one of the most prestigious divisions.

The fight would earn both men several million dollars because the IBF and WBA are highly credentialled organisations and form two of the four belts recognised by the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Yet the biggest stumbling block is Germany.

Renowned for producing more controversial fight results than even,, Brisbane, the country has caused plenty of headaches for Aussie punchers such as Danny Green -- who clearly had the better of Markus Beyer when he was disqualified for headbutting, costing him what would have been his first world title.

"But I don't want to spend time dodging anyone -- be it in Germany or France," Wood said. "Right now the best thing for me is to stay active, to keep fighting.

"I'm about to have a fortnight, maybe three weeks, off but I still see a July fight as being perfect for me.

"I've seen a little bit of Sturm and know he has problems with brawlers. I think my style will make for a great fight."
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale Empty Re: Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Soooooo....he loses and Sturm decides he's a viable opponent to challenge for his "title"? This shit is unbelievable.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale Empty Re: Garth Wood set to fight WBA middleweight champ Felix Strum to line up show down with Daniel Geale

Post  freakzilla Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 am

Lollllllll, I agree. Only in boxing can you get a title shot after you lose a non title fight.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Soooooo....he loses and Sturm decides he's a viable opponent to challenge for his "title"? This shit is unbelievable.

And you wonder why I hate the ABC shit orgs even being credited.

Don't matter, we all know Marinez is The Champ
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:57 am

GrantZilla wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Soooooo....he loses and Sturm decides he's a viable opponent to challenge for his "title"? This shit is unbelievable.

And you wonder why I hate the ABC shit orgs even being credited.

Don't matter, we all know Marinez is The Champ
I guarantee that I hate the ABC's more than anybody. Some of the shit I've seen them do in the last 40 years is beyond mind boggling. Even when they get caught, for some crazy reason, they end up surviving. They are truly the cockroaches of sports.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:57 am

Yup. Remember when everyone knew who the Champs are. Now WBA got 50 "champs" in 17 divisions.

But as said, we know Martinez is the real Champ.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 am

For anyone who argues that Martinez should go to Germany to fight Sturm: 1-Martinez is the man. He shouldn't have to chase Sturm. It should be the other way around. 2-Sturm probably wouldn't fight Martinez anyway. Sturm's team is going to keep him fighting relatively soft competition as much as possible. When complaints occur about his competition level, he'll fight a lower top 10 guy he can beat. Then it will be back to relatively soft opposition.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 am

i take it back Grant. fuck Felix Sturm....... fuck the middleweight division in general to be honest

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 am

Erm is this accurate ? because Mathew Macklin is suppose to be facing Felix Sturm next.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am

it wouldn't surprise me if Sturm pulled a stunt like this to be honest. the story of Macklin's career has been cancelled fights and rumours of fights that never actually happen. he should have stuck to the Khan card and fought Gevor. as it is he is staying inactive and he looked like shit last time out. Sturm would give him a lesson and that will be the end of Macklin's ££££ career. he should have taken the Gevor fight

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:45 am

On boxrec Felix Sturm vs Mathew Macklin is scheduled for July 2nd in Cologne, Germany.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:51 am

Ali wrote:On boxrec Felix Sturm vs Mathew Macklin is scheduled for July 2nd in Cologne, Germany.

boxrec always schedule fights in though. i've not seen the press conference yet. perhaps it is happening. who knows, either way Macklin has been cherry-picked for a reason.............. he is overrated dogshit

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 am

i doubt it ali.wood is a foxsports boy so they have to try keep him in lights.in reality,what value is there for sturm to fight unknown wood in paris?it's no win for him.if he wants a gimme defense there's any number of european fighters he could chose,that would bring in more revenue & are better credentialed than wood.lets face it wood won the lucky dip,he only fought mundine because he won a prelim fight show on fox & then lucked out beating over confident mundine.fox were offering green v wood if they both won their fights,with wood losing they're just trying to hype him so they can make some money.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:36 am

Sapa-AFP is reporting that Felix Sturm (35-2, 15KOs) has set down his next defense of the WBA's "super" version of the middleweight title. Sturm will face British boxer Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19KOs) in Cologne on July 2. The date and the venue for the fight were confirmed during a media conference in Berlin on Friday.

"This will be one of my toughest fights, because I know I can win against Macklin only when I am in top form," Sturm said during the conference.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sturm-vs-macklin-clash-confirmed-july-2-cologne--38147

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down