The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morales vs Maidana PPV Buys

+7
Gumby
Diego408
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
SlickMoney
flapanther2001
gomez1012
11 posters

Go down

Morales vs Maidana PPV Buys Empty Morales vs Maidana PPV Buys

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Brad (Philly) Any truth to the rumor that Maidana vs Morales did less than 50,000 buys?

Dan Rafael (4:57 PM)
I spoke to Richard Schaefer about the PPV yesterday and he said he did not have enough numbers yet to say what it did. He would know and has not said. HBO has also not made an announcement. So any other rumors I would take with a grain of salt.

What would you say? Over or Under 50k

My friend asked me before the card, I told him 75k, think the announced # probably be around 100k
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Morales vs Maidana PPV Buys Empty Re: Morales vs Maidana PPV Buys

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Brad (Philly) Any truth to the rumor that Maidana vs Morales did less than 50,000 buys?

Dan Rafael (4:57 PM)
I spoke to Richard Schaefer about the PPV yesterday and he said he did not have enough numbers yet to say what it did. He would know and has not said. HBO has also not made an announcement. So any other rumors I would take with a grain of salt.

What would you say? Over or Under 50k

My friend asked me before the card, I told him 75k, think the announced # probably be around 100k
Imagine how badly Khan/McCloskey will do now.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Oscar was the first to laugh at the Cotto-Mayorga numbers when it was first reported it did 100k. So dont mind me laughing at the first reports of 50k.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/stevemaxboxing/status/58982076292145152

told that the Maidana-Morales PPV did under 50,000 buys last week

Steve Kim reported the 50k #
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Man, if this is true, how does GB and HBO spin that number
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Man, if this is true, how does GB and HBO spin that number

Their spin is going to be the great night of fights they had...smh

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 pm

That was a great night of fights I really hope it did better than that.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Oscar was the first to laugh at the Cotto-Mayorga numbers when it was first reported it did 100k. So dont mind me laughing at the first reports of 50k.
Morales-Maidana>>>>>>Cotto-Mayorga. I just dont get why we even care for PPV numbers as boxing fans. Entertainment in was makes the card and that Maidnana-Morales bout is easily FOTY so far.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Diego408 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:Oscar was the first to laugh at the Cotto-Mayorga numbers when it was first reported it did 100k. So dont mind me laughing at the first reports of 50k.
Morales-Maidana>>>>>>Cotto-Mayorga. I just dont get why we even care for PPV numbers as boxing fans. Entertainment in was makes the card and that Maidnana-Morales bout is easily FOTY so far.

Entertainment after the fact. You dont know going in if buying the PPV is going to be worth it. Alot of ppl thought Morales would get killed in 6 rds and for that reason alot of ppl didnt even buy it.

SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

Entertainment after the fact. You dont know going in if buying the PPV is going to be worth it. Alot of ppl thought Morales would get killed in 6 rds and for that reason alot of ppl didnt even buy it.

You have a point, but still we shouldnt carewhat the PPV numbers are. I think everyone started to care when Flomo started to throw it in everyones face because he did big numbers with other fighters that draw crowds.

Well I threw some money with my boys to watch the fight. Theres a lot of Morales fans and plus the Ghost fight, he impressed me (first time since the Fana fight). It was worth it, not most PPV are and its the reason they never do good in numbers. I cant think of many PPVs being worth it with the pre-hype BS. Maybe just Marquez vs Pacquaio II and Cotto-Margarito that I can remember.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I didn't pay for it which is too bad because it was a quality ppv from top to bottom. I think for a ppv to do big $ it needs a headliner. Even if people had expected Morales v. Maidana to be that exciting I don't know if they would've bought it.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 am

Gumby wrote:I didn't pay for it which is too bad because it was a quality ppv from top to bottom. I think for a ppv to do big $ it needs a headliner. Even if people had expected Morales v. Maidana to be that exciting I don't know if they would've bought it.

I broke down and bought the PPV. I haven't been buying many PPVs and I couldn't help myself. Thankfully it ended up being a good PPV and a fun night.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:36 am

Not shocked by the numbers at all, but on the plus it turned into a very entertaining card.

I've noticed that recently with both boxing and MMA, that the weakest cards tend to turn into exciting ones.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:41 am

SlickMoney wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

great post

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 pm

dbudge wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

great post

Of course it is.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 pm

We have to care about PPV #s

The better mismatches like this do the more likely we are to see cards on PPV again

I mean how the fuck do you explain 150k PPV buys for Hopkins-Jones II & 40k for Chavez-Duddy?????
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:55 pm

bump

nothing on this? looks like under 50k it is
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:12 pm

gomez1012 wrote:bump

nothing on this? looks like under 50k it is

Yup. Steve Kim it seems is correct that it dud under 50k buys.

No shocker. Everyone figured Morales was shot. Had no business being on PPV. Should've pitched it to ESPN.

No way can tell me it made any kind of real money with under 50k buys. When factor in the cost, the cut the distributor takes, ect.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

that's $2.5million from PPV sales with over half of that being taken from the headlining 4 fighter's purses. ouch

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Add on the PPV provider takes a chunk of that. Then add on costs to advertise it.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:27 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Add on the PPV provider takes a chunk of that. Then add on costs to advertise it.

yeh where is the profit??

where is the profit in paying out over $3million for Bradley vs Alexander?? it just seems that because of HBO overpaying/ overvalueing cards that boxing in the US is on rocky grounds. an executive high up must catch onto that fact soon enough surely. i think Bob Arum going to Showtime is the best thing that can happen for the sport.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Well at least we gotta see Guerrero finally emerge as a world class operator, and witness Morales almost turn back time.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:19 pm

dbudge wrote:
where is the profit in paying out over $3million for Bradley vs Alexander?? it just seems that because of HBO overpaying/ overvalueing cards that boxing in the US is on rocky grounds. an executive high up must catch onto that fact soon enough surely. i think Bob Arum going to Showtime is the best thing that can happen for the sport.

Probably wasn't any profit. Not the first time GB lost money on a PPV. Hops-Jones Jr lost money.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm sure there was a bit money coming in from the Mexican television rights.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
dbudge wrote:

Probably wasn't any profit. Not the first time GB lost money on a PPV. Hops-Jones Jr lost money.

I know it is sad and sounds crazy but I think BHop and GBP came out fine in that PPV. It sold around 150k * $50 = 7.5 mil. HBO gets half leaving 3.75 mil. While I doubt BHop got his full 3 mil (GBP got the first 3 mil of profits), I think Roy made nothing.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down