The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening

+4
Diego408
UBeeg9cats
gomez1012
GrantZilla
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening Empty Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

IBF super-featherweight champion Mzonke Fana and WBO champion Ricky Burns’ chances of meeting in a 130lb unification battle were scuppered by Burn’s promoter Frank Warren, according to the South African’s promoter Branco Milenkovic.

Milenkovic has accused Warren of ignoring a doubled counter-offer that would have meant the two fighters could have met in unification fight for both belts, plus the coveted Ring Magazine belt that Burns has spoken on numerous times of his willingness and desire to fight for.

"Frank Warren has been going on about the unification for the past three weeks on every available international website,” Milenkovic told sowetanlive.co.za.

“I got sick and tired of reading about it so I informed his Sports Network that if they are serious about this fight, they should contact me instead of running to the media.

"Two weeks ago Frank made me an embarrassing offer for Fana to fight Burns in Scotland but I countered this by doubling his offer to bring Burns to South Africa.

"Frank never replied. The fight was not only going to be for the IBF and WBO but also for the prestigious Ring Magazine belt.

Fana, 37, has now agreed to a title defence against US-based Dominican Argenis Mendez (18-1) on June 11th, dashing Burns’ hopes of gunning for a second world title on home soil. The South African will be looking to improve his 30-4 record with his first defence of the title in Johannesburg.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/04/fana-promoter-blames-frank-warren-for.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening Empty Re: Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening

Post  Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm

"Two weeks ago Frank made me an embarrassing offer for Fana to fight Burns in Scotland but I countered this by doubling his offer to bring Burns to South Africa.

As much as I'd like to see the fight happen I can't blame Frank for ignoring the South Africa offer. That would be a pretty nightmarish logistical situation with the time difference and travel arrangements.

Back to top Go down

Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening Empty Re: Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Ali wrote:

As much as I'd like to see the fight happen I can't blame Frank for ignoring the South Africa offer. That would be a pretty nightmarish logistical situation with the time difference and travel arrangements.

Yeah, but is Burns' fights even shown in the UK? I dunno.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Its a crappy fight anyways, who cares!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Its a crappy fight anyways, who cares!

Blah, Blah. The fight happens, we get a new crowned Champ, and maybe Lopez can fight them when he moves up
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Its a crappy fight anyways, who cares!

Blah, Blah. The fight happens, we get a new crowned Champ, and maybe Lopez can fight them when he moves up

This fight is very important just for that reason. The winner becomes the biggest star of the division and lands a Gamboa or Juanma fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:

Yeah, but is Burns' fights even shown in the UK? I dunno.

Yes. The majority of Burn's fights have been shown live on Sky Sports.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Ali wrote:

I'm sure it is more financially rewarding for Burns to stay home but I do think the time difference isn't all that bad.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Zzzzz this scrubs will never get a shot at JuanMa

Fana blames Warren for Burns fight not happening Marco%20Antonio%20Barrera%20-%20Mzonke%20Fana
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:
Ali wrote:

I'm sure it is more financially rewarding for Burns to stay home but I do think the time difference isn't all that bad.

The time difference means the fight would be unable to be broadcast live in the UK. And in South Africa Frank won't be able to make that much money, here he can sell out a venue or small stadium in Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:08 pm

But Fana's promoter if you beleive him, offered double that of what Warren offered.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Ali wrote:

Argenis Mendez is going
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Ali wrote:
UBeeg9cats wrote:
Ali wrote:

The time difference means the fight would be unable to be broadcast live in the UK. And in South Africa Frank won't be able to make that much money, here he can sell out a venue or small stadium in Scotland.

Understandable. People want to watch boxing live at the normal time they watch boxing (usually at night).

Kind of like when European fights are shown to US fans. US fans don't want to watch a fight live in the afternoon or on tape dealy at the normal time (night).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Zzzzz this scrubs will never get a shot at JuanMa

The winner would be a real Champ, something JuanMa has never been, unless he man's up and fights Gamboa at Feather, and not at Jr Lightweight
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:09 pm

The division blows

Everybody will consider them a scrub even if they have the Ring title
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:IBF super-featherweight champion Mzonke Fana and WBO champion Ricky Burns’ chances of meeting in a 130lb unification battle were scuppered by Burn’s promoter Frank Warren, according to the South African’s promoter Branco Milenkovic.

Milenkovic has accused Warren of ignoring a doubled counter-offer that would have meant the two fighters could have met in unification fight for both belts, plus the coveted Ring Magazine belt that Burns has spoken on numerous times of his willingness and desire to fight for.

"Frank Warren has been going on about the unification for the past three weeks on every available international website,” Milenkovic told sowetanlive.co.za.

“I got sick and tired of reading about it so I informed his Sports Network that if they are serious about this fight, they should contact me instead of running to the media.

"Frank never replied. The fight was not only going to be for the IBF and WBO but also for the prestigious Ring Magazine belt.

Fana, 37, has now agreed to a title defence against US-based Dominican Argenis Mendez (18-1) on June 11th, dashing Burns’ hopes of gunning for a second world title on home soil. The South African will be looking to improve his 30-4 record with his first defence of the title in Johannesburg.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/04/fana-promoter-blames-frank-warren-for.html
Now I see why you posted this.....^^^^^^^LOL....I keed, I keed.
Anyway...this is why I suggested that any & all proposals should be made public. It stops all this I said, he said shit. Show me the offer in writing & I'll believe it was real!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:05 pm

I didn't post it for that. But nice try.

But, I been wanting fights like this to pan out so we can get some legit Champs in divisions.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:06 pm

blame everything on warren..... not on Fana's extravagant wage demands and Fana's mandatory challenge???

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:09 pm

dbudge wrote:blame everything on warren..... not on Fana's extravagant wage demands and Fana's mandatory challenge???

Naw, the truth is always in the middle. Fana wants more then what is reasonable, and Warren probably lowballed him.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I didn't post it for that. But nice try.

But, I been wanting fights like this to pan out so we can get some legit Champs in divisions.

C'mon man....lighten up. Can't you take a joke for crissakes...... Funny Shit lol! Funny Shit lol! Funny Shit lol! Funny Shit lol! Funny Shit lol! Funny Shit
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
dbudge wrote:blame everything on warren..... not on Fana's extravagant wage demands and Fana's mandatory challenge???

Naw, the truth is always in the middle. Fana wants more then what is reasonable, and Warren probably lowballed him.

of course, that's how the business works. i think promoters get way too much bad press though. just sayin, i've never been to a bad warren show and at the end of the day this is a business. this is how the sport has always operated and in my eyes a prizefighter creates their own purses based on their work ethics, application, skill/talent and dedication. too many top fighters blame promoters for their shortcomings. the fact is, who the fuck outside of boxing knows who Mzonke Fana is???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah, Fana is a nobody
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah, Fana is a nobody

Barrera wiped him off the face of this earth years ago
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Yeah, Fana is a nobody

Barrera wiped him off the face of this earth years ago

Jesus. He sure did.

See, if boxing worked right, this fight would happen, get a new Champ, and then Lopez when he moves up can challenge the winner.

Then when he fights Gamboa, can be for a real Championship
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Yea but even then I dont see JuanMa staying at 130 long
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next