The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next

+3
Groundhog
gomez1012
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next Empty Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

Junior lightweight contender Argenis Mendez won the last time he fought in South Africa. If he wins a second consecutive bout there, he will claim a world title.

Mendez, a native of the Dominican Republic who is living in New York, will challenge South Africa's Mzonke Fana for his 130-pound title on June 11 in Johannesburg after their promoters reached a deal a few hours before Tuesday's scheduled purse bid.

The 24-year-old Mendez (18-1, 9 KOs) scored a first-round knockdown and went on to outpoint former titleholder Cassius Baloyi in South Africa on Jan. 29 in the eliminator that earned him the title shot against Fana.

"I'm glad he had that last fight in South Africa," Lou DiBella, Mendez's promoter, told ESPN.com. "It was very good experience to have fought there before going into this fight. He won the decision there and did very well. He will be comfortable fighting there again. I am very confident he can win the title there.

"Fana is still a good fighter, but [Mendez] has a lot of advantages going for him and he will be well-served by having fought there before. He is excited about the opportunity to win a title."

The 37-year-old Fana (30-4, 12 KOs) won a title for the second time in September when he claimed a vacant belt by outpointing Baloyi. It was a rematch of their 2008 fight in which Baloyi won the decision to end Fana's first title reign.

Fana was hoping to meet Scotland's Ricky Burns in a summer unification fight after Burns and his promoter, Frank Warren, called him out. However, they were unable to make a deal.

Had they been able to reach an agreement, Fana would have been able to delay the mandatory defense against Mendez because the IBF's rules allow unification bouts to take precedence over mandatories.

"The offer Frank made for us to come to the U.K. for a unification was just a little bit more money than a normal challenger would get," Branco Milenkovic, Fana's promoter, said. "I doubled the offer and up to this moment they can't make up their mind. No disrespect, but I think they didn't want the fight to happen. The easiest way to kill the fight is to offer too little money.

"After I doubled up, they still were not prepared to come to South Africa. Maybe Burns wanted the fight, but Frank doesn't. I understand. But don't go three months telling me you want to make a deal. We were really looking forward to a unification fight in South Africa, but we couldn't get it made, so I decided to go with DiBella because I saw Warren is not interested and I have a good working relationship with Lou. So we were able to make a deal. Mendez fought well when he was in South Africa."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6296946

Don't really blame Frank for ignoring the South Africa offer, not because of scoring but because staging the fight there would be a logistical nightmare.

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next Empty Re: Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Fucking boxing politics at it again
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next Empty Re: Ricky Burns vs Mzonke Fana ain't happening next

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Fucking boxing politics at it again

It could still happen in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah. If Fana wins. He's pretty old
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah. If Fana wins. He's pretty old

And not that good, he'll probably lose to Mendez
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Frank could have at least broke open the piggy bank for Burns and treated him to a stadium fight, I might have finally gotten to witness a major fight ringside Sad

As much as I like Ricky I am not convinced he'll hold on to that trinket, the next WBO mandatory will be extremely dangerous.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Ali wrote:Frank could have at least broke open the piggy bank for Burns and treated him to a stadium fight, I might have finally gotten to witness a major fight ringside Sad

As much as I like Ricky I am not convinced he'll hold on to that trinket, the next WBO mandatory will be extremely dangerous.

Id love to see Burns vs Terdsak Jandaeng!

That be a nice scrap

I think Terdsak could KO Burns
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:57 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Frank could have at least broke open the piggy bank for Burns and treated him to a stadium fight, I might have finally gotten to witness a major fight ringside Sad

Id love to see Burns vs Terdsak Jandaeng!

That be a nice scrap

I think Terdsak could KO Burns

lol Are you being serious ?

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Ali wrote:lol Are you being serious ?

Ofcourse mang, just pulled up the WBO rankings and Terdsak is rated #1 by the WBO!
http://www.wbo-int.com/revised/RANKINGS-WBO.asp

Why you hating on Terdsak? He's about to stomp on your Glascow boy
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:lol Are you being serious ?

Ofcourse mang, just pulled up the WBO rankings and Terdsak is rated #1 by the WBO!
http://www.wbo-int.com/revised/RANKINGS-WBO.asp

Why you hating on Terdsak? He's about to stomp on your Glascow boy

:lol:Cruz vs Martinez is a WBO eliminator this month, the winner will be Burns mandatory.

Last edited by Ali on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Ali wrote:
javascript:emoticonp('Laughing') Cruz vs Martinez is a WBO eliminator this month, the winner will be Burns mandatory.

pretty good if it happens

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

The fight was on off for awhile but now it's set for the JuanMa vs Salido undercard cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Ali wrote:The fight was on off for awhile but now it's set for the JuanMa vs Salido undercard cheers

yep

Showtime televised too, Cruz might steamroll Rocky
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Terdsak Jandeng.. haven't heard that name since he got knocked out by JMM several years ago.

Just peeped his record. Has since lost to Luevano (a decision in '08) but other than that has beaten a long string of no names in Thailand.

Really exciting fighter if I remember right. Little buff guy.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 am

This realy does suck. The kid wants The Ring belt, and it keeps getting roadblocked. I'm rooting for him to get it. He's a ballsy fighter, and deserves it.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 am

Like i said...Money > Ring Belt
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:36 am

SlickMoney wrote:Like i said...Money > Ring Belt

Which makes no sense, considering The Ring belt doesn't charge a sanctioning fee, but fighters are fine having a bogus trinket and having to not only pay for the stupid belt itself, but a % of the purse to keep it.

The real reason is, promoters don't like The Ring belt because they can't bribe their way to getting their undeserving fighters manditory title shots. Or in the case of Alverez, the belt just handed to them.

Shaw is in bed with IBF, no shocker his fighter's get ranked high by them. Sautherland in bed with the WBA, again no shock his fighters get ranked high with them. Warren's in bed with WBO, same story, ect, ect.

Since whole Don King bribery with a Ring writer, Sugar after taking over, put a panel in place of well respected people in boxing, which make rankings tampery impossible now. And so, promoters hate it.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:25 am

GrantZilla wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:Like i said...Money > Ring Belt

Which makes no sense, considering The Ring belt doesn't charge a sanctioning fee, but fighters are fine having a bogus trinket and having to not only pay for the stupid belt itself, but a % of the purse to keep it.

The real reason is, promoters don't like The Ring belt because they can't bribe their way to getting their undeserving fighters manditory title shots. Or in the case of Alverez, the belt just handed to them.

Shaw is in bed with IBF, no shocker his fighter's get ranked high by them. Sautherland in bed with the WBA, again no shock his fighters get ranked high with them. Warren's in bed with WBO, same story, ect, ect.

Since whole Don King bribery with a Ring writer, Sugar after taking over, put a panel in place of well respected people in boxing, which make rankings tampery impossible now. And so, promoters hate it.

I didn't know anyone would get in bed with Shaw Laughing

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:55 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:I didn't know anyone would get in bed with Shaw

lol!

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 pm

this fighters all think that if you're coming to the UK then, despite the fact nobody has ever heard of you, then you are going to be paid millions of ££££s greedy fighters and managers are causing all the problems in the sport... but then it is a business

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 am

Don't know much about Fana as a fighter but Mendez is the real deal. If Burns wanted the ring belt, he would've had to make concessions...go over there and take it.

Why should the fight be in the UK when there was more $ offered to the fighters to fight in South Africa? If they can stage world cup I think they can handle a fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down