The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ?

5 posters

Go down

What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ? Empty What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ?

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:38 am

It's been four months since Sergio Martinez rocked the world of Paul Williams with a left cross that put Williams face-down on the canvas in the second round of their middleweight championship fight at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

That punch was part of the reason Martinez was voted Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America. Dan Goossen, Williams' promoter, talked about that Tuesday when asked about the immediate future of Williams.

"I was talking to (Williams adviser) Al Haymon yesterday and we happened to segue back on to that punch," Goossen said. "It was a similar punch he has taken with great resolution and come back stronger than ever.

"This just happened to be the perfect punch. Everything was right there. I don't want to call it a one-in-a-million shot. But it was certainly a one-in-a-half-million shot. Just one of those perfect punches."

The two first squared off in December 2009, Williams winning a majority decision. By the time they met in the rematch 11 months later - last November - Martinez had already won the middleweight championship by dethroning Kelly Pavlik last April 17 at Boardwalk Hall.

Goossen was asked about a possible third fight between Williams and Martinez.

"We obviously do want to have the trilogy and eventually we will look to have the trilogy," he said. "Right now it's a matter of getting him back in the ring and getting him past that perfect punch."

Goossen said Williams will probably return at junior middleweight, though he wouldn't rule out middleweight or even welterweight. He said he should know something about an opponent and date by next week, and that Williams' return would not come before June. That would give Williams seven months removed from the vicious knockout at the left hand of Martinez.

Did Dan Goosen, Al Haymon and George Peterson take naps during the first fight ?

http://www.boxingscene.com/dan-goossen-discusses-return-paul-williams--37366

Back to top Go down

What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ? Empty Re: What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ?

Post  captainanddew Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 pm

they basically keep saying it was a lucky shot.
I guess they forget about the Cintron fight (where Martinez KO'd Cintron but the shot was so hard Cintron convinced the ref it was a headbutt), first fight where Martinez absolutely blasted PW, the Pavlik fight where Martinez cut up and backed down the bigger fighter, and Martinez's destruction of Sergei D.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ? Empty Re: What is it with the members of Paul Williams camp ?

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Paul needs to fight

Haymon has ruined his career holding out for HBO $$$

If he was active in one division he'd easily be a top 5 fighter
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm

I've still heard not one single name for his comeback fight.

I agree Gomez, Paul's harmed his career by waiting for HBO paychecks.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Ali wrote:I've still heard not one single name for his comeback fight.

I agree Gomez, Paul's harmed his career by waiting for HBO paychecks.

Yep and I thought I saw somewhere that its being pushed back further this year

shame
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

His camp is wrong, but you can see why they want to spin in that way. Any time you see a huge one-punch KO like that the easy way out is to call it a "lucky shot". Makes your guy look better.

I agree he's been poorly managed, and after that loss his people need to really work to get him money fights (if they can).
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Al Haymn: Pacman landed a lucky shot in the Hatton fight.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Paul needs to fight

Haymon has ruined his career holding out for HBO $$$

If he was active in one division he'd easily be a top 5 fighter

He doesn't realy have much of a choice. He can't draw flies to cowshit, so he needs the TV money. Sure and hell isn't going to make money off a gate. They'd lose money

He should take a pay cut and just fight on FNF. He's done something similar to that where he fought on Versus.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
He doesn't realy have much of a choice. He can't draw flies to cowshit, so he needs the TV money. Sure and hell isn't going to make money off a gate. They'd lose money

He should take a pay cut and just fight on FNF. He's done something similar to that where he fought on Versus.

All of this is on his promoter and manager
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

All of this is on his promoter and manager

I dunno man, Williams just does not interest people. Likely because he's as boring as you can be personality wise, and sounds like a moron everytime he talks.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
I dunno man, Williams just does not interest people. Likely because he's as boring as you can be personality wise, and sounds like a moron everytime he talks.

None of that matters man, its what he does in the ring

He's an entertaining fighter, Twinkie Rafael has said many times he lives in DC area and people love him there

His team has done a damn poor managing his career

you should be able to sell tix on his style alone
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah, but a lot that has to do with Williams. He's got inflated view on his drawing power.

See, Mayweather as much as he brags he's a draw, knows he's not. And why he does things to make himself a draw. From Dancing With the Stars, to going on WWE, to whole Money May persona, ect.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah, but a lot that has to do with Williams. He's got inflated view on his drawing power.

See, Mayweather as much as he brags he's a draw, knows he's not. And why he does things to make himself a draw. From Dancing With the Stars, to going on WWE, to whole Money May persona, ect.

Nope, Paul controls what he does in the ring

The rest is on his promoter and manager, Haymon and Goossen
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Paul Williams and his camp are in denial. They can't accept that he was knocked out by a perfect shot by a fighter with the potential for greatness.

The above observation is just an opinion. However, Paul was knocked out in 2 rounds. Lucky shot or not, he's got to start closer to the drawing board. His value has gone way done since that shot.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:52 pm

PW interviews are painful. He says you know about 30 times in a 2 minute interview.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

captainanddew wrote:PW interviews are painful. He says you know about 30 times in a 2 minute interview.

I've started to notice Amir Khan has a habit of saying " you get me ? " every couple minutes. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Ali wrote:
captainanddew wrote:PW interviews are painful. He says you know about 30 times in a 2 minute interview.

I've started to notice Amir Khan has a habit of saying " you get me ? " every couple minutes. Laughing

his version of "you know what im saying"
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

his version of "you know what im saying"

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down