The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Williams is already talking about retirement

+5
hardcorebee24
Tobe
dbudge
Gumby
gomez1012
9 posters

Go down

Paul Williams is already talking about retirement Empty Paul Williams is already talking about retirement

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Regardless of how he does July 9 in his redemption fight against Cuban star Erislandy Lara, Paul "The Punisher" Williams says his plans are to retire next year.

Williams (39-2, 27 knockouts) was considered one of the most-avoided boxers in the sport until he suffered a devastating, one-punch knockout in the second round of his WBC middleweight tile fight with Sergio Martinez in November. He plans to recharge his image against the unbeaten Lara (15-0-1, 10 KOs), which he says will be one of his final fights.

"After three more fights -- though my trainer says two more -- I want to be done with boxing," Williams said during a conference call with the media last week. "After two more fights, if HBO wants to do it and the fans want it, I'm up for it."

The fight with Lara at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City will be Williams' first ring appearance since the loss to Martinez. Lara also has some redemption on his mind after battling Carlos Molina to a majority draw in March.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/167835-williams-sees-retirement-in-his-near-future

Back to top Go down

Paul Williams is already talking about retirement Empty Re: Paul Williams is already talking about retirement

Post  gomez1012 Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:59 pm

After he challenges Iron Boy at 108
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Paul Williams is already talking about retirement Empty Re: Paul Williams is already talking about retirement

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:17 pm

gomez1012 wrote:After he challenges Iron Boy at 108

Iron Boy will send Y'know what I'm Saying? to sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Bad news that fighters are hanging them up early. I think poor management and boxing politics is ruining a lot of careers.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:33 am

Gumby wrote:Bad news that fighters are hanging them up early. I think poor management and boxing politics is ruining a lot of careers.

i just think that it's more of a case of Sergio Martinez has ruined Williams' career. going from being the most avoided man in the sport to a 2 round job at the hands of somebody whom he held the bargaining chips in negotiations before their fight must be quite a heartbreaking and mentally disturbing experience. i'm eager to see how he copes against Lara, these Cuban boys can box and Williams' defence is awfully sloppy

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 am

It is bad news to see guys like Williams ready to leave when there are still some interesting fights out there for him. But on the other hand it is better than guys who hang around way too long and get hurt (I'm looking at you Roy).
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:27 am

What a waste, he hasn't accomplished anything of note yet and hasn't made any real money yet. I'm surprised that he isn't fighting longer just for the paycheck.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 am

He's an Al Haymon fighter, been raking in milion dollar pay days since he first appeared on HBO
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  qdagoverner Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

damn that knockout was worst than we thought lol..

qdagoverner

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 am

He not gonna retire. This is just gonna be one of those fake Floyd Mayweather retirements.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 am

Damnit Paul, you got caught. Happens to the best of us. Or better put, shit happens. (See Julian Jackson's 2nd round KO of HOF fighter Terry Norris.) Shake it off and become the fighter you're meant to be.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 pm

He took a lot of heavy shots from Sergio in the first fight as well as being ktfo by the champ in the second fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 am

Well Williams doesnt look to get any big fights, maybe a trilogy with Martinez is the best he can do but I highly doubt he'll want that lol. I mean he didnt even want it the second time around, but HBO dragged him by his feet. Hes going to be irrelavent in those 3 next fights.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down