The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classy Move by HBO

3 posters

Go down

Classy Move by HBO Empty Classy Move by HBO

Post  captainanddew Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 am

Per Kieran Mulvaney's podcast on ESPN. Nick Charles who is terminally ill, is going to call the opening bout on HBO's Gamboa card, Garcia vs Remillard. He has never worked for HBO and it is a gracious tribute to the man to have him call that fight.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Classy Move by HBO Empty Re: Classy Move by HBO

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am

captainanddew wrote:Per Kieran Mulvaney's podcast on ESPN. Nick Charles who is terminally ill, is going to call the opening bout on HBO's Gamboa card, Garcia vs Remillard. He has never worked for HBO and it is a gracious tribute to the man to have him call that fight.

Nice gesture by HBO, I should be watching the HBO fights saturday night, i'll look for it, I imagine it's going to be really sad, Charles is a likable guy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:13 am

Agreed, that's a class move. I didn't know he was ill; dude always looked leathery as hell though. Great tribute to a real broadcasting veteran.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 am

Tobe wrote:Agreed, that's a class move. I didn't know he was ill; dude always looked leathery as hell though. Great tribute to a real broadcasting veteran.

Nick Charles has been battling stage 4 bladder cancer that spread to his lungs for a couple years now. At the moment, there's nothing else that can be done for him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 am

Very classy indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Yea should be great to hear

So Charles and Max for Garcia vs Remillard?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Yea should be great to hear

So Charles and Max for Garcia vs Remillard?

I'm not really sure, it may be the regular HBO crew as well as Charles.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Mikey (Levittown, NY)
What will Nick Charles' role be on Saturday night?

Dan Rafael
(12:35 PM)
HBO showed a lot of class by inviting Nick to call the opening bout with Garcia and Remillard. So from what I understand, Bob Papa will introduce Nick, who will call that fight with Max and Roy. And then Bob will take over and call the main event. Classy move by HBO. Nick did some work for HBO PPV (TVKO back then) years ago, but he is far more identified for his work on Showtime, which did not make such an offer. I spoke to Nick last Sunday and he was very excited about doing the fight and also excited about coming to AC and seeing so many of his boxing friends. I am looking forward to see him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down