The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse

+2
gomez1012
captainanddew
6 posters

Go down

Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse Empty Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Devon Alexander and Lucas Matthysse have agreed to fight on June 25 in Alexander's hometown of St. Louis, Richard Schaefer, Matthysse’s promoter, told RingTV.com on Friday afternoon.

Schaefer had just gotten off the phone with Don King, Alexander’s promoter, to finalize the deal.

Alexander is coming off a disappointing performance against Timothy Bradley, who won by a one-sided technical decision after 10 rounds when the then-unbeaten St. Louis native couldn’t continue because of cuts.

Matthysse rebounded from his own setback – a controversial split-decision loss to Zab Judah in November – to stop DeMarcus Corley in eight rounds in January.

“This is a very important fight for both fighters,” Schaefer said. “Devon Alexander is a terrific fighter. He didn’t look like the same fighter against Bradley for whatever reason. I’m not sure why. … The fact is he’s a great young American fight. And Matthysse is one of the most-exciting fighters in the division.

“A win for Alexander puts him back at the top of the 140-pound division. The same is true for Matthysse. They both know what’s at stake.”

Schaefer said the Alexander camp agreed to use neutral officials for the fight.

Matthysee, who is from Argentina but trains in Southern California, believes he was the victim of a hometown decision against Judah and didn’t want to be in the same position against Alexander, who is popular in St. Louis.

“The request was granted. There will be neutral officials,” Schaefer said.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse Empty Re: Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:16 pm

good fight for both of them.

Back to top Go down

Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse Empty Re: Breaking News from Ringtv.com- alexander vs matthyse

Post  gomez1012 Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 pm

dmar5143 wrote:good fight for both of them.

+1

I like Lucas by KO
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Matthyse better bring his own judges, Mr. left hook and Mr. Straight Right
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Good news....Matthysse better KO him though, in St. Louis.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

+1

I like Lucas by KO

if his team watches tape they'll see that Alexander backs up (straight back) and doesn't protect his chin when doing so. Do some bodywork and then focus on backing him up, landing rights to the head.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:42 am

No Cyclops and th fight is in St. Louis. Mathysse better KO Alexander early.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:01 am

Great fight for the division Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:00 am

the 140lb and 168lb guys are really showing what real fighters are made of. i'm very excited by this development. neutral officials is great as well. could be a tough night for Alexander, but at least we'll get to see him redeem himself after his disappointing decision to quit against Bradley

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 am

Based on the Kotelnik fight, Lucas has to get a KO to win.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm really interested to see how Devon responds. He has the physical tools and the hype train is gone. His heart has been called into question and he's going in with a puncher. Will the Bradley fight serve as a reality check and can Cunningham train and motivate him. I think this will be the make or break fight of his career.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Gumby wrote:I'm really interested to see how Devon responds. He has the physical tools and the hype train is gone. His heart has been called into question and he's going in with a puncher. Will the Bradley fight serve as a reality check and can Cunningham train and motivate him. I think this will be the make or break fight of his career.

after his last couple fights I believe he has the physical tools but there are 3 things I question:
1-does he really know how to fight (meaning, set up shots, control the ring, etc...). Against Kotelnik he was so damn predictable. Throw 5-6 shots, they get blocked. he gets countered. There was no thought as to how to hit Kotelnik. It was just move my fast hands and grunt!!!! He does so much move the hands then stop and go straight back.
2-his fighting spirit-against Bradley wasn't there. rough fight and Bradley wanted it much more than he did.
3-his trainer-just asking your fighter what the bleep are you doing doesn't really help. How about preparing him for the styles he is going to face and giving technical advice during the fight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down