The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !!

+2
GrantZilla
captainanddew
6 posters

Go down

Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !! Empty Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !!

Post  captainanddew Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Welterweight titleholder Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz are negotiating to fight on April 16 in the U.S., the same night Amir Khan is scheduled to fight in the UK, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said.

Lou DiBella, Berto’s promoter, had mentioned the winner of the Mike Jones-Jesus Soto Karass fight or Luis Colazzo as possible opponents but neither represented the high-profile matchup Berto is seeking.

Ortiz isn’t Shane Mosley or Manny Pacquiao, two fighters Berto wanted to meet, but the Los Angeles-area fighter is an intriguing opponent for the 147-pounder from Miami.

An obvious issue is weight: Ortiz has been fighting as a junior welterweight (140 pounds). Both Schaefer and Rolando Arellano, Ortiz’s advisor, said they would want a catch weight. Schaefer mentioned 143 or 144.

Schaefer also has no concerns about Ortiz moving up in weight, pointing to his fight against Lamont Peterson on Dec. 11 to make his point.

“When they put Victor on the HBO scale the night of the fight, he weighed 156 pounds,” he said. “I think he’s also taller than Berto. And look at Berto’s last three, four fights. He usually came in at around 145.

“I don’t think size is going to be a problem here.”

Oritz (28-2-2, 22 knockouts) and Peterson fought to a draw. Berto (27-0, 21 KOs) is coming off a first-round knockout of Freddy Hernandez on Nov. 27, the fifth successful defense of his title.

My take: Really, fight a junior welter. One who couldn't stand up to Maidana. One who let Peterson back in the fight down the stretch.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !! Empty Re: Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !!

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am

Berto should be fighting Cintron, but I guess Cintron and Williams might go at it again.

Outside Cintron, there realy is nobody else for Berto to fight at Welter. Welter is not the hot division anymore, Jr Welter is.

Berto not going to get a fight with Mayweather or Pac. He missed his chance with Mosley. So who's left at Welter? There's Clottey, but he doesn't seem to want to fight. And after his pathetic performance against Pac, I don't think HBO wants him on their network again.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !! Empty Re: Breaking News-Ringtv.com Berto vs Ortiz !!

Post  Diego408 Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 am

This is actually a great Match up for HBO to make. Both these guys have been taking on too much softies on HBO and getting paid a lot for it (well Maidana is kinda the exception but everyone believed he was going to lay down for Ortiz before the fight actually happened). This is a make or break fight for both of these guys. They've both bored the fight audiances fight after fight and have been questioned about their status of being brough back to the network because of poor performances. The winner has a future, and well the loser will just be a stepping stone type of guy. I dont think the weight is much of a problem. Ortiz is a huge Jr Welter and Berto is a small Welter as it is, a catch weight at 145 would be fine. Ortiz is also an inch taller than Berto, there is not much of an advantage for both guys. Looks good on paper to me and could turn into a pretty good fight IMO. The hungrier fight will win.

Great fight, Greenburg make it happen!
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 am

Ortiz is getting flattened.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 am

Groundhog wrote:Ortiz is getting flattened.

Come on brah, don't be ruining my high. But I'll like totaly admit, I get punched in the face, I'm like grabbing my surf board and hanging-10 out of the ring, ok Mr Hand!

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Groundhog wrote:Ortiz is getting flattened.

Hahahaha

Berto's trainer just needs to tell him to blitz Ortiz once the bell rings

Good fight though
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm

I don't like the catch weight but hopefully this fight can bump one of these guys out of major fight discussion until they earn it and get enough attention to propel the other to get a big fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Andre sure likes picking on those Jr Welters.

I actually don't mind this. Ortiz will eventually be a welterweight soon, he's got the frame and power for the division.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down