The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE GREATEST MEXICANS

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

THE GREATEST MEXICANS Empty THE GREATEST MEXICANS

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 am

Here are the Mexican fighters enshrined in the Hall of Fame in alphabetical order:

Baby Arizmendi
Miguel Canto
Pipino Cuevas
Humberto Gonzales
Ricardo Lopez
Ruben Olivares
Vicente Saldivar
Salvador Sanchez
Daniel Zaragoza
Carlos Zarate

Then there are some absolute HOF locks who are either recently retired or still active

Julio Cesar Chavez
Erik Morales
Marco Antonio Barrera

Then there are guys who I think could be best termed HOF probables

Rafael Marquez
Juan Manuel Marquez
Israel Vasquez
Gilberto Roman

That's seventeen wonderful fighters (unless I missed somebody). Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick a top ten.

I'll do mine below

Back to top Go down

THE GREATEST MEXICANS Empty Re: THE GREATEST MEXICANS

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:07 am

1. Julio Cesar Chavez-Do I have to defend this?
2. Ruben Olivares-77 KO's, linear champ at both 118 and 126
3. Miguel Canto-The anti Mexican champion. 14 defenses of the undisputed 112 title, all by decision.
4. Salvador Sanchez-Nine defenses of the linear 126 title, four wins over HOFers. Had he lived he might have been #1.
5. Ricardo Lopez-An astonishing 25 defenses. The greatest of the 105's.
6. Vicente Saldivar-Nine defenses of the undisputed 126 crown. Defeated HOFers on three occasions.
7. Erik Morales-Wins over three HOFers. A three division strapholder.
8. Carlos Zarate-A 90% KO ratio??? Unbelieveable! The finest bantam of his time.
9. Marco Antonio Barerra-Linear 126 champion with three defenses and a two-division strapholder.
10. Rafael Marquez-Linear 118 champion with eight defenses. Linear 122 champion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am

as usual a well thought out topic..ill agree with your choices the top ten except..ill move sanchez up to number 2.he and oliveras are nip and tuck and id move zarate up 1 over morales and put lopez 4 and canto 5...in the next 10 years that list im sure will expand from 17 to at least 20..they sure have given boxing some great crowd pleasers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 am

1. Ruben Olivares: I saw him in a losing effort against Alexis Arguello. Even though he was ko'd late in the fight, I was awed by his boxing ability. I've seen him off and on and I always feel like he does something I've never seen before. lol:

2. Salvador Sanchez. Just on ability alone, he's a gem. Then you add up his victories over Wilfredo Gomez, Azumah Nelson, Danny "Little Red" Lopez, etc and you know that even though he left us at age 23, he accomplished a world of greatness.

3. Ricardo Lopez. 25 title defenses and a smoker. LOL: Nuff said.

4. Carlos Zarate. Was once the Banatamweight champ with a record of 55-0 with 52 KOs. Was punished by Wilfredo Gomez and lost by 5th round TKO, but when Carolo said he had a fever of 105 before the fight, I believe him. Won his classic battle with Lupe Pintor but was ripped off.

5. Lupe Pintor. Pintor became a great champion and challenged Wilfredo Gomez in a fight that is arguably the best I've ever seen.

I'll stop here.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 am

Frank wrote:1. Ruben Olivares: I saw him in a losing effort against Alexis Arguello. Even though he was ko'd late in the fight, I was awed by his boxing ability. I've seen him off and on and I always feel like he does something I've never seen before. lol:

2. Salvador Sanchez. Just on ability alone, he's a gem. Then you add up his victories over Wilfredo Gomez, Azumah Nelson, Danny "Little Red" Lopez, etc and you know that even though he left us at age 23, he accomplished a world of greatness.

4. Carlos Zarate. Was once the Banatamweight champ with a record of 55-0 with 52 KOs. Was punished by Wilfredo Gomez and lost by 5th round TKO, but when Carolo said he had a fever of 105 before the fight, I believe him. Won his classic battle with Lupe Pintor but was ripped off.

5. Lupe Pintor. Pintor became a great champion and challenged Wilfredo Gomez in a fight that is arguably the best I've ever seen.

I'll stop here.

And that was Olivares at featherweight! He looked like a midget next to Arguello didn't he? Pintor was an awful lot of fun and one hell of a fighter. I think he belongs at the Laporte level though. You reaally think I have Chavez wrong huh?

The whole Zarate-Gomez weigh-in thing was weird. Zarate makes 118 comfortably and now can't make 122? And when he finally does he looks like a concentration camp resident?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:59 am

dmar5143 wrote:as usual a well thought out topic..ill agree with your choices the top ten except..ill move sanchez up to number 2.he and oliveras are nip and tuck and id move zarate up 1 over morales and put lopez 4 and canto 5...in the next 10 years that list im sure will expand from 17 to at least 20..they sure have given boxing some great crowd pleasers.

Tough to argue with any of that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Frank wrote:1. Ruben Olivares: I saw him in a losing effort against Alexis Arguello. Even though he was ko'd late in the fight, I was awed by his boxing ability. I've seen him off and on and I always feel like he does something I've never seen before. lol:

I'll stop here.

And that was Olivares at featherweight! He looked like a midget next to Arguello didn't he? Pintor was an awful lot of fun and one hell of a fighter. I think he belongs at the Laporte level though. You reaally think I have Chavez wrong huh?The whole Zarate-Gomez weigh-in thing was weird. Zarate makes 118 comfortably and now can't make 122? And when he finally does he looks like a concentration camp resident?
Not really. Julio Chavez seems to be everyones hero except mine. If I took my top five to the HOF, not to mention Mexico, they'd all wonder where Julio was. I saw the career of Chavez and I'm better for it. I just don't think he's as good as everyone else does and I'll always have my suspicions about him in relation to the Taylor fight. As always, I could be 100 percent wrong.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I'll stop here.

And that was Olivares at featherweight! He looked like a midget next to Arguello didn't he? Pintor was an awful lot of fun and one hell of a fighter. I think he belongs at the Laporte level though. You reaally think I have Chavez wrong huh?The whole Zarate-Gomez weigh-in thing was weird. Zarate makes 118 comfortably and now can't make 122? And when he finally does he looks like a concentration camp resident?
Not really. Julio Chavez seems to be everyones hero except mine. If I took my top five to the HOF, not to mention Mexico, they'd all wonder where Julio was. I saw the career of Chavez and I'm better for it. I just don't think he's as good as everyone else does and I'll always have my suspicions about him in relation to the Taylor fight. As always, I could be 100 percent wrong.

Ahhh, so that comment on loaded gloves a week or so ago wasn't a throwaway. Taylor sure got the crap kicked out of him that night and I can understand your suspicions, at least a little.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 pm

hard to argue with any of the choices
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:38 pm

gomez1012 wrote:hard to argue with any of the choices

Sargeant Slaughter IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:14 am

Oscar has to be up there on this list

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:16 am

jz_hova wrote:Oscar has to be up there on this list
Whats up JZ? As a fellow Oscar fan I have to agree. He had a great career.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:19 am

Soonermark890 wrote:

hey sooner how do I get my mask up?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 am

jz_hova wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

hey sooner how do I get my mask up?
Same as on Ninja's. You go under profile and then go to avatar and put it up there.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 am

Lmao at gomez pic by the way chavez has to be number 1.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:23 am

He's not even a Mexican, the Dude's American. And if you're going to include guys like that the first inclusion isn't Oscar, it's Manuel Ortiz who was a three time undsiputed bantam king with eight defenses.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:

He's not even a Mexican, the Dude's American. And if you're going to include guys like that the first inclusion isn't Oscar, it's Manuel Ortiz who was a three time undsiputed bantam king with eight defenses.
LOL Oscar tried to be mexican doesnt that count?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 am

oscar's offcially puerto rican and has been for a while jz Very Happy
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:29 am

Rum Capital wrote:oscar's offcially puerto rican and has been for a while jz Very Happy
LOL oh yeah he gave up mexico when they were behind Vargas instead huh?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:31 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:oscar's offcially puerto rican and has been for a while jz Very Happy
yup he moved to p.r with his wife and had a half rice and beans half burrito baby.

we still think he's gay though
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:32 am

Rum Capital wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
yup he moved to p.r with his wife and had a half rice and beans half burrito baby.

we still think he's gay though
Nah he just dresses in women's clothing in order to have his way with really hot chicks.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:35 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

If you're gonna try to be a Mexican, and you were born in the USD, you do what Margarito did. Move to Juarez and dodge bullets Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:36 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

If you're gonna try to be a Mexican, and you were born in the USD, you do what Margarito did. Move to Juarez and dodge bullets Smile
it was TJ oh wise one
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

LOL Ok well you have to admit he is the best boxer ever to dress in drag. RIGHT?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:46 am

Rum Capital wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

it was TJ oh wise one

[grumbling] Frakkin Geography experts! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next