The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Greatest Round Ever?

+5
captainanddew
Rum Capital
Diego408
Frank
freakzilla
9 posters

Go down

The Greatest Round Ever? Empty The Greatest Round Ever?

Post  freakzilla Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 pm

What is the single greatest round of boxing ever in your opinion?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Round Ever? Empty Re: The Greatest Round Ever?

Post  Frank Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Freak, the same rounds will come up over and over again, as they should. How do you improve upon the first round in the "Hagler - Hearns" fight or the 12th round in the "Diego Corrales - Jose Luis Catillo" fight? You can't. That being the case, I'll take a different approach. The most shocking round I ever witnessed.

The 6th round in "Leonard - Hearns I." To be honest, Leonard was my childhood hero and I thought he would suffer certain death against Tommy Hearns. When he hurt Tommy in the 6th round of their fight, I was surprised and elated. That whole fight was from "The Theater of the Unexpected." I couldn't believe the role change. Leonard being the slugger and Hearns becoming the boxer. All during the fight I was saying, "I thought Hearns was the stronger guy." I just never got used to it. You can watch this thing on You Tube, but I think you had to be there for this one. I watched it closed circuit in a football stadium. If we're talking post Ali, no fight affected me like that one. It all started with "Round 6."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:31 pm

10th round you mean of the Corrales-Castillo I bout. And I think that one has my vote.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

its not possible to pick of course...il take any round of the dempsey-firpo fight..pier 6 brawl is putting it mild.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Pick any of the following and I'm likely to agree

-Round 1 Pryor-Arguello I
-Lamotta-Dauthuille round 15
-Foreman-Lyle round 4
-Bowe-Holyfield I Round 10
-Saad Muhammad-Lopez II-Round 8
-Holmes-Norton Round 1
-Hagler-Hearns round 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:32 pm

Frank wrote:Freak, the same rounds will come up over and over again, as they should. How do you improve upon the first round in the "Hagler - Hearns" fight or the 12th round in the "Diego Corrales - Jose Luis Catillo" fight? You can't. That being the case, I'll take a different approach. The most shocking round I ever witnessed.

The 6th round in "Leonard - Hearns I." To be honest, Leonard was my childhood hero and I thought he would suffer certain death against Tommy Hearns. When he hurt Tommy in the 6th round of their fight, I was surprised and elated. That whole fight was from "The Theater of the Unexpected." I couldn't believe the role change. Leonard being the slugger and Hearns becoming the boxer. All during the fight I was saying, "I thought Hearns was the stronger guy." I just never got used to it. You can watch this thing on You Tube, but I think you had to be there for this one. I watched it closed circuit in a football stadium. If we're talking post Ali, no fight affected me like that one. It all started with "Round 6."

The most shocking round I ever saw might have been the last round of Chavez-Taylor. Meldrick seemed to have things in hand and all of a sudden I am noticing just how bad his face is and his feet stop moving and Chavez is coming like the tide but suddenly he is THERE...

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 pm

the corrales -castillo fight had some really great rounds and so did hagler-hearns.
but i was literally in awe watching round 9 of gatti-ward. it was just insane watching it live. many refs would have stopped that fight after ward knocked him down and then went on the attack when gatti got back up..good thing for us he didn't.

Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Frank wrote:Freak, the same rounds will come up over and over again, as they should. How do you improve upon the first round in the "Hagler - Hearns" fight or the 12th round in the "Diego Corrales - Jose Luis Catillo" fight? You can't. That being the case, I'll take a different approach. The most shocking round I ever witnessed.

it was round 10 in corrales castillo I. Best round of the past 10 years by far. Have watched that round at least 50 times and I still get up out of my seat telling Chico to get his ass up.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:06 pm

that 9 third round gatti-ward geez..it dont get any better then that...lampleys statement would you believe theres still a minute and a half to go in the round is a classic.it said it all..again impossible to chose.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:36 pm

They're all great...we could add round one of Zale/Graziano I or any of the first 6 rounds for that matter.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Caveman Lee-John LoCicero-Rd.5
Juan Meza-Jaime Garza Rd.1
Ray Mancini-Art Frias Rd.1

All great rounds that were not mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Rum Capital wrote:the corrales -castillo fight had some really great rounds and so did hagler-hearns.
but i was literally in awe watching round 9 of gatti-ward. it was just insane watching it live. many refs would have stopped that fight after ward knocked him down and then went on the attack when gatti got back up..good thing for us he didn't.

That was a special round. How did everyone score it? I had it at 9-9.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Diego408 wrote:10th round you mean of the Corrales-Castillo I bout. And I think that one has my vote.

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:Caveman Lee-John LoCicero-Rd.5

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:50 pm

freakzilla wrote:

Thanks for the links Freak.I was going to add them,but I got sidetracked.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Goosen's statement, "you better fucking get inside on him now," was the greatest.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:37 pm

No probs Winston, some great rounds.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 am

Every time this subject comes up, I bring up Mancini/Frias. It's one of my favorite rounds ever. I didn't want to be redundant...LOL. Let's add this one.....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 am

flapanther2001 wrote:

Every time this subject comes up, I bring up Mancini/Frias. It's one of my favorite rounds ever. I didn't want to be redundant...LOL. Let's add this one.....

Next to the Thrilla in Manila the greatest HW fight I have ever witnessed.Two judges had Holmes winning by 1 point, and the other had Norton winning by a single point.You can't get any closer than that.

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:40 am

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 am

Gatti vs Ward I round 9 ... that round had it all. Ward was behind on the cards and both fighters had been giving and taking ferociously all night up to that point. Ward puts Gatti down with a monstrous bodyshot early in the round that looks like the certain end, but instead Gatti's warrior spirit prevails and he gets back up not only to survive the round but he stands toe to toe as both fighters clearly exhausted from their efforts already, bare their souls in what must be one of the most gruelling battles to ever be witnessed within the prizefighting ring. Other than the knockdown in the ninth round, neither guy could really claim to be utterly dominant in it as the momentum switched every 10 seconds and their face's, painted a bloody mess, wore the masks that told the story of the fight. That fight had all the drama but that round 9 was absolutely incredible giving the punishment either guy had taken up until that point, and given the circumstances of Ward needing that knockdown to give himself a shot at winning and the way Gatti wouldn't let Ward deny him the dignity of finishing the fight on his feet was something that i'm still in awe of. What made that fight remarkable is that it was only a 10 rounder but the action was just so immense, it was hard to believe that this fight was not for any significant title. Both fighters came out of that fight a winner from this fan's perspective

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 am

freakzilla wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:the corrales -castillo fight had some really great rounds and so did hagler-hearns.

That was a special round. How did everyone score it? I had it at 9-9.
I had the round 10-8 for ward. The KD being the difference.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am

I thought Gatti won the rest of the round though.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down