The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Jacobs added to the Dec 18th card

Go down

Danny Jacobs added to the Dec 18th card Empty Danny Jacobs added to the Dec 18th card

Post  Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Middleweight Daniel Jacobs, the 2009 ESPN.com prospect of the year, will try to rebound from his first defeat on Dec. 18 against an opponent to be determined. Jacobs, who was stopped in the fifth round by Dmitry Pirog in July while fighting for a vacant belt, will be on the Jean Pascal-Bernard Hopkins undercard in Quebec City, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.

"It may have been too much too soon for Danny. Everybody had to take a step back after that," Schaefer said of the title bout. "Hopefully, on Dec. 18 it will be the first step to getting him back, and then we'll try to have him back quickly in the beginning of [2011]," Schaefer said.

By the middle of next year, Schaefer said, he'd like to move Jacobs (20-1, 17 KOs) into a title eliminator to try to get him another title opportunity. Schaefer said he'd like to see Jacobs' next title shot coincide with the opening of the under-construction Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Golden Boy has a deal to put on monthly cards there, and Jacobs is from Brooklyn.

"My dream would be to have Danny ready to challenge for a world title in the spring of 2012, when the Barclays Center opens," Schaefer said. "Maybe the first fight at the Barclays Center would be Danny Jacobs winning a world title. If I could script it, that's how I would script it."

Jacobs' Dec. 18 fight is not slated to be part of Showtime's Pascal-Hopkins broadcast, nor is the welterweight debut of former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, who is coming off a May loss to Amir Khan and recently signed with Golden Boy. Schaefer said he hopes he can still convince Showtime's Ken Hershman to show their bouts.

"I need to talk to Ken again and see about maybe showcasing those fights in some way," Schaefer said. "If you have Paulie's comeback and Danny's comeback it would be interesting for fans to see them coming back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=5763782

Back to top Go down