The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring article on Kirkland

2 posters

Go down

Ring article on Kirkland Empty Ring article on Kirkland

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Trainer Adams excited about Kirkland's prospects
by Michael Rosenthal
Mar 1st, 2011| More Trainer Kenny Adams has worked with James Kirkland for about a month and is convinced he has a future champion. Kirkland makes his comeback on the Saul Alvarez-Matthew Hatton card Saturday.

Kenny Adams has been around a long time. The veteran trainer has worked with dozens of good fighters and isn’t prone to hyperbole about any of them unless it’s warranted.

Well, he believes it’s warranted when it comes to James Kirkland.

Adams has been working with the former junior middleweight contender for about a month and loves what he sees, a tough, powerful warrior who works hard and is easy to get along with.

And he’s surprised that Kirkland is as sharp as he is given his two-year hiatus from the ring, a period in which he spent time in prison for violating his parole by purchasing a gun.

Kirkland faces Ahsandi Gibbs in his comeback fight on the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Matthew Hatton undercard Saturday in Anaheim, Calif., and is scheduled to fight again on March 9.

“I don’t see a lot rust,” Adams told RingTV.com. “He goes in there, puts his punches together. He throws as good as he did (before prison). I like to think he’s doing even better.”

Kirkland is working with Adams for the first time after relocating from his home in Austin, Texas, to Las Vegas, far away from any negative influence that might lead him astray.

He lives with two other fighters in an all-boxing environment.

Adams didn’t know what to think given Kirkland’s past, only that he isn’t one to prejudge people. He said it didn’t take long to realize that working with the fighter is a pleasure.

“He’s really, really a terrific guy,” he said. “I’m not a tolerant person in some ways. I don’t take s--- from anyone. James doesn’t give me any s---. He’s just a hard worker.

“Whatever anyone has heard about him … it doesn’t seem to be true. He listens well, he’s respectful. I have no problems with him.”

Adams has also been impressed with Kirkland the fighter.

Of course, the thing that stands out is his exciting, all-out style. Adams said Kirkland (25-0, 22 knockouts) has a tremendous chin to go with tremendous power, which is a dangerous combination.

And he’s a better boxer than some might think.

“He has a lot of good boxing skills,” Adams said. “Maybe he’s kind of awkward in some of the things he does, the different angles of punches he throws. But he basically has good boxing ability. He turns his shots over real good. He has great power, good stamina. He’s a full-fledged fighter.

“We do have to work on defense. That’s what it’s all about, one thing we’re working on quite a bit. Once we have more time to work on that, he’ll get better.

Adams expects big things from his newest protégé, who has decided not to speak with reporters in the days leading up to the fight.

Many fans have long been enamored with Kirkland because of his relentless aggression and crushing knockout power. Few fighters are more fun to watch.

“One thing he is is an exciting fighter,” he said. “That’s important, that’s what boxing needs, fighters like James. He gives and he takes … and takes very well. These are things I want to leave alone. This is what makes him who he is.”

And Adams is certain that Kirkland will succeed in his second career.

He was asked by RingTV.com whether he thinks that a future world titleholder has fallen into his lap.

“I don’t think … I know I’m going to have a champion,” he said. “Without a doubt. It might even happen before the year is up.”

My take: Adams is a good trainer. Get Kirkland back in the ring alot over the next 9 months and get him ready for a big fight.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Ring article on Kirkland Empty Re: Ring article on Kirkland

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Adams, a former U.S. Army master sergeant, is a great, no nonsene trainer. Normaly a trainer saying this kind of stuff I'd take it with a grain of salt. Just a trainer trying to sell his new fighter.

But Adams never been like that. He doesn't put up with bullshit from fighters. He threw out Valero because of Valero's bullshit.

“I will not sell my soul for the sake of training a fighter,” Adams said. “With Valero, I would come to the gym and tell him, ‘We need to work on this.’ I’ve been around a long time and I knew what he needed. It was obvious. But he would say to me, ‘No, I want to work on this.’ He wanted to do things his way. I wanted him to do things my way, the right way.”

So him to say this about Kirkland is very promising
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 am

Kirkland just started moving into the bigtime before his prison stint and/or problems with the law, it remains to be seen how he'll do against the top dogs. Kirkland had been fighting as a Jr. Middleweight, but curiously, Kirkland's fight this weekend against Ahsandi Gibbs, is shown in the schedule to be @ super-middleweight, maybe it's an error.

March 5
At Anaheim, Calif. (HBO): Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Matthew Hatton, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC junior middleweight title; Adrien Broner vs. Daniel Ponce De Leon, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; James Kirkland vs. Ahsandi Gibbs, 8 rounds, super middleweights.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 am

GrantZilla wrote:Adams, a former U.S. Army master sergeant, is a great, no nonsene trainer. Normaly a trainer saying this kind of stuff I'd take it with a grain of salt. Just a trainer trying to sell his new fighter.

But Adams never been like that. He doesn't put up with bullshit from fighters. He threw out Valero because of Valero's bullshit.

“I will not sell my soul for the sake of training a fighter,” Adams said. “With Valero, I would come to the gym and tell him, ‘We need to work on this.’ I’ve been around a long time and I knew what he needed. It was obvious. But he would say to me, ‘No, I want to work on this.’ He wanted to do things his way. I wanted him to do things my way, the right way.”

So him to say this about Kirkland is very promising

Yeah, Adams takes no shit. If he can just get Kirkland to use head movement and think some about defense then he will improve. He is an offensive fighter but when he gets to where he is facing top 5 guys at 154, he will have to show more defensive ability.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down