The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what next for Donaire?

+2
Gumby
dbudge
6 posters

Go down

what next for Donaire? Empty what next for Donaire?

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 am

ok there is the Bantamweight tournament happening, but even if Donaire fights the winner of that he still won't be recognised as The Ring's Champion at 118lb. and to be honest, who can actually see the winner being competitive against Donaire?? Donaire is just too big at Bantamweight.

ok so we go up by 4lb to Junior Featherweight/Super Bantamweight whatever you wanna call it. now the only fight there that makes financial sense is against Nishioka, which would be for another title in another division. Nishioka is also the number 1 ranked guy there and in Japan he can sell out arenas no problem. but i can't see Nishioka's handlers allowing this one personally. Other than Nishioka the only other financially sensible option is Steve Molitor who has no chance of beating Donaire, and that is an unlikely fight to happen IMO for the same reason as the Nishioka fight. then you have Rigondeaux who is being fast tracked by Uncle Bob but once again i can't see this fight happening because of the "politics".

Now there's always 126lb, the Featherweight division, but would Donaire still be as devestating there?? is that too much of a jump up in weight, especially into a division as talent rich as this. maybe it is for now but in the future i can definitely see that happening.

Donaire is more skilled than Manny Pacquiao IMO. or maybe if i rephrase that, he is more skilled than Manny P was at this point in his career. the only problem being is that we've never seen Donaire at a size disadvantage in any of his bouts. we've never seen his chin get checked properly, but then again that is what was meant to happen last night. it looks like Donaire's next step is going to be against Showtime's Bantam-tourney winner, but the winner of that tournament is going to be a huge underdog against Nonito, and if Vic Darchinyan wins it then i expect him to duck the rematch like he has been since he got KTFO. Nonito is talking about going upto 122lb, but what is there for him realistically??

dbudge

Back to top Go down

what next for Donaire? Empty Re: what next for Donaire?

Post  Gumby Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 am

I think everything is open to him. That KD is going to get some spins on ESPN and Nonito just put on a spectacular performance. People are going to want to watch him fight. He's a WOW fighter. I don't care about his next fight. He will either take on the bantamweight tourney winner or a strap holder at 122. I think the one after that will be at 126 which is where I really want to see him.

I'll say that he's more skilled than Pac right. He's just not as tested. It's about 5 fights too soon for me to even consider Nonito the better fighter.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:25 am

i just hope that his wife Rachel Donaire keeps her mouth shut before his next fight. she has too much to say for a WAG. at least Froch's missus' mouth only opens up during the heat of battle, Donaire's wife's mouth never shuts!!!

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 pm

I thought I heard Donaire say in the post-fight interview with Kellerman that he want to 'unify' the bantamweight division (118) first, before moving up.

After what I saw last night, I believe the sky's the limit for the "The Filipino Flash". He should 'unify' 118, and have no problem packing on 4 more lbs of muscle, moving up to Jr. Feather and eventually, a couple years down the road, making the move up to 126 (Featherweight) and facing the likes of Juanma & Gamboa.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Ring wrote:I thought I heard Donaire say in the post-fight interview with Kellerman that he want to 'unify' the bantamweight division (118) first, before moving up.

After what I saw last night, I believe the sky's the limit for the "The Filipino Flash". He should 'unify' 118, and have no problem packing on 4 more lbs of muscle, moving up to Jr. Feather and eventually, a couple years down the road, making the move up to 126 (Featherweight) and facing the likes of Juanma & Gamboa.

by the time Donaire gets to 126lb, JuanMa will have moved up. how long can Nonito keep moving up and carry his power and speed?? i'm with you on this and i think the sky is the limit for Donaire.... we were right Ring, we were right Very Happy

and technically he's already unified 118lb, and he just beat the number 1 there. the showtime tournament winner isn't even going to be ranked number 2. Anselmo Moreno, WBA champion is number 2 in the ring rankings. maybe that fight will happen, maybe not. nobody at 118lb or 122lb is beating Donaire or getting close to IMO

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:28 pm

dbudge wrote:
Ring wrote:I thought I heard Donaire say in the post-fight interview with Kellerman that he want to 'unify' the bantamweight division (118) first, before moving up.

by the time Donaire gets to 126lb, JuanMa will have moved up. how long can Nonito keep moving up and carry his power and speed?? i'm with you on this and i think the sky is the limit for Donaire.... we were right Ring, we were right Very Happy

and technically he's already unified 118lb, and he just beat the number 1 there. the showtime tournament winner isn't even going to be ranked number 2. Anselmo Moreno, WBA champion is number 2 in the ring rankings. maybe that fight will happen, maybe not. nobody at 118lb or 122lb is beating Donaire or getting close to IMO

Yeah dbudge, we got one right. cheers
To me, right from the get go, it looked like man (Donaire) against boy, (Montiel) compared to Donaire, Montiel looked like he was outclassed and in slow motion. What I like the best about Donaire is he's not in the ring to play grabass like Duckweather Jr., et al, he comes to take yer fucking head off, he's a boxing fan's dream.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 pm

i've watched Donaire try and be patient and then it gets to the third round and it's like he gets fed up of playing boxer and jumps on the offensive. and he has the athletic ability to get away with it. but he does this and stays smart all the time. it's all about his ring generalship for me and everybody he fights he makes it look like man vs boy because he dictates the action. he made Montiel come forward because he kept him out of range the whole first round with just a basic jab and swift feet. i didn't expect it to happen with the first significant punch landed, but i knew Montiel's frustration caused by Donaire's ring generalship would walk him onto a big left hook counter. and it did. so for all the bad picks i am bound to make this year, i've got this one in the bank lol

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Its probably too much to ask but Donaire could fight Moreno in late May and fight the tourney winner September or October. I know Rigondeaux isn't exciting but I think it would be a fun and worthwhile fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Mares/Agbeko vs Donaire next

Nonito said it, "undisputed champion"
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:58 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Mares/Agbeko vs Donaire next

+1 no other fight at this point will pay him more. He should wait on that fight (most likely Mares), than jump it for WV2 and maybe fight the winner of Gamboa-Lopez next year. I mean theres no one from 115 to 122 capable of beating him. Im pretty sure he could handle most of the guys 126 with Lopez and Gamboa being the exception.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm

No one wants the Moreno fight? He can't be undisputed without it.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Diego408 wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:Mares/Agbeko vs Donaire next

+1 no other fight at this point will pay him more. He should wait on that fight (most likely Mares), than jump it for WV2 and maybe fight the winner of Gamboa-Lopez next year. I mean theres no one from 115 to 122 capable of beating him. Im pretty sure he could handle most of the guys 126 with Lopez and Gamboa being the exception.

Donaire will have to beat Moreno to become undisputed at 118lb though, that's the problem. The Showtime tourney winner is the only logical ($$$$) step next. all of the bolded is extremely hard to disagree with

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 am

The tournament winner makes the most sense right now.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:No one wants the Moreno fight? He can't be undisputed without it.

Agreed. No reason why he can't take both fights. Can't be Undisputed Champ when don't beat second best ranked fighter.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down