The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fedor vows to fight on

4 posters

Go down

Fedor vows to fight on Empty Fedor vows to fight on

Post  freakzilla Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 am

Fedor Emelianenko's storied mixed martial arts career will not come to an end following Saturday's technical knockout loss to Antonio Silva.

Emelianenko, 34, expressed his desire to continue fighting on Tuesday, his promoter, M-1 Global, confirmed to ESPN.com.

"I rushed to declare my retirement," Emelianenko told media in Moscow, according to translated reports. "I am capable of having a few more fights."

Ed Mulholland for ESPN.comFedor Emelianenko can't fight in New Jersey for at least 90 days as a result of Saturday's injuries.

Moments after a New Jersey State Athletic Control Board-licensed doctor stopped the bout between the second and third periods due to severe damage around Emelianenko's right eye, the former Pride heavyweight champion declared it might be time to retire.

Members of his camp suggested the best heavyweight of the last decade could take up to two weeks to determine the fate of his career -- apparently he needed just two days.

Evgeni Kogan, head of global operations for M-1, of which Emelianenko holds an ownership stake, "seriously doubted" reports that the heavyweight would attempt to win his sixth World Combat Sambo Championships title Feb. 25 in St. Petersburg. Reports in Russian media suggested Emelianenko would make a quick turnaround despite the pummeling he suffered against Silva.

"He is very keen to fight again though," Kogan said.

Emelianenko (31-3) remains under contract to Strikeforce for three bouts after signing an extension earlier this year. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said if Emelianenko remained active, a bout against the loser of April 9's Strikeforce Heavyweight World Grand Prix quarterfinal between Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem would likely come next. Coker also suggested that Emelianenko is eligible to return to the tournament as an alternate.

Reports following Saturday's card indicated Emelianenko suffered a broken orbital bone and required hospitalization. Neither is true, several sources close to the fighter said.

Emelianenko's bout against Silva (16-2), which headlined the first leg of Strikeforce's single-elimination eight-fighter tournament in front of a crowd of 11,287 at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J., established a record for viewership of mixed martial arts on Showtime. The average audience -- 741,000, with a peak rating of 1.1 million during the main event -- bested an August 2009 card featuring Gina Carano and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos by more than 20 percent.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Fedor vows to fight on Empty Re: Fedor vows to fight on

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 am

I don't want Fedor to continue unless he's fully motivated and trains hard. He was out of shape for the Silva fight and doesn't seem to be interested in evolving his game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 am

I still say he should drop the beer gut and fight at LHW.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

Soonermark890 wrote:I still say he should drop the beer gut and fight at LHW.

Nah I don't think Fedor would be able to handle the speed of todays LHW's, what Fedor needs to do is hire a nutritionist and a strength and conditioning coach like Alex Ariza.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 am

Ali wrote:

Nah I don't think Fedor would be able to handle the speed of todays LHW's, what Fedor needs to do is hire a nutritionist and a strength and conditioning coach like Alex Ariza.
He cant handle the size of todays HW's either.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 am

Fedor has some of the fastest hands and will dominate at LHW.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Ali wrote:

He cant handle the size of todays HW's either.

Yeah perhaps the likes of Silva and Overeem would be too big for Fedor but he can give Werdum, Khartiov and others hell.

Fedor has the power and speed to knock HW's out, he can still make a couple paydays IF he trains hard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 am

freakzilla wrote:Fedor has some of the fastest hands and will dominate at LHW.

Fedor was fast because he was facing off against HW's, the guys at 205lb are alot quicker and more mobile.

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 am

And if he lost 25 pounds then he'd be much faster and more mobile also.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 am

freakzilla wrote:And if he lost 25 pounds then he'd be much faster and more mobile also.

I don't agree with that view, Fedor is 34 and is starting to lose his speed, dropping down in weight this late would only harm him. If Fedor just got in great shape he could still compete in the division.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 am

Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:And if he lost 25 pounds then he'd be much faster and more mobile also.

I don't agree with that view, Fedor is 34 and is starting to lose his speed, dropping down in weight this late would only harm him. If Fedor just got in great shape he could still compete in the division.
But if he got into great shape wouldnt he be a LHW. the guy only weighs 220. He would only have to drop 15 pounds of fat.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Ali wrote:

But if he got into great shape wouldnt he be a LHW. the guy only weighs 220. He would only have to drop 15 pounds of fat.

If Fedor trained his butt off he could be a lean mean 210lb-215lb.

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Fedor is 230, not 220
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/11/strikeforce-fedor-vs-silva-weigh-in-results/

Also if he added muscle while slimming down he wouldn't lose much weight if any since muscle weighs more then fat. He can still compete with anyone in the world when motivated.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm sure Fedor works his ass off. Dropping down makes no sense. He's getting older and rustier.The fact that he wants to keep going just shows how much of a warrior he is.

He's just gone from being the best fighter in the world to a very good one. Whatever happens he's still among the greatest ever. I highly doubt the same will be said about anyone he goes up against.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down